Get out your thinking caps.

cplewes

I have an issue, which if not resolved, could be a bridge too far for me with my new Air.
I'm an older guy and not very tall 5'8". As I sit comfortably behind my wheel the buttons for music, navigation or homelink are too far away to reach easily. This will be a problem for others. It would be a minor deal except that my old shoulder sockets can't handle that stretch and the angle of extension. I like to keep my maps up even thought I don't need directions (another Alexa command we need), and I am often switching music sources. At the end of an hour in the car I was reaching for my Alieve. I tried to find access through the pilot panel to toggle back and forth but as of now I think that is a programming issue not handled by an owner.

There must be a workaround my brilliant friends. I await your collective wisdom.

I have learned to use Alexa to navigate & for music. Unsure if I can do homelink. Will try that out asap. Along with other commands. Need to experiment with Alexa. A beer & 1:1 time with her. :) (100% sure the wife will love that. )

I have an issue, which if not resolved, could be a bridge too far for me with my new Air.
I'm an older guy and not very tall 5'8". As I sit comfortably behind my wheel the buttons for music, navigation or homelink are too far away to reach easily. This will be a problem for others. It would be a minor deal except that my old shoulder sockets can't handle that stretch and the angle of extension. I like to keep my maps up even thought I don't need directions (another Alexa command we need), and I am often switching music sources. At the end of an hour in the car I was reaching for my Alieve. I tried to find access through the pilot panel to toggle back and forth but as of now I think that is a programming issue not handled by an owner.

There must be a workaround my brilliant friends. I await your collective wisdom.
There is a UI refresh coming "soon" that will, supposedly, put the buttons on the left side of that right driver panel. Also being able to multi-window music/nav also "in the works" so it it probably a matter of just waiting.

what command would you give to Alexa to open a navigation screen?

I agree, the reach to the right of the upper panel is too far. It requires sitting forward and reaching. Pretty awkward maneuver to get to the most basic functions. Hopefully the “big” software refresh will fix this. I use siri for calls and alexa for navigation rather than the big reach.

For the last 2 weeks I drove the new BMW.
Got in the Lucid and it took god knows how many button presses (unresponsive and responsive) to close the garage door and change from a FM favorite to Bluetooth. It was only about 3 minutes parked in the driveway, but in the BMW it would have been 2 button presses I could do without looking while backing. Everything on that upper panel is a pain. I'm 6'2" and from my seating position it is also a stretch to hit any of those buttons. I think using that panel while driving is more dangerous than texting. 😭😞

s-l300.jpg

For the last 2 weeks I drove the new BMW.
Got in the Lucid and it took god knows how many button presses (unresponsive and responsive) to close the garage door and change from a FM favorite to Bluetooth. It was only about 3 minutes parked in the driveway, but in the BMW it would have been 2 button presses I could do without looking while backing. Everything on that upper panel is a pain. I'm 6'2" and from my seating position it is also a stretch to hit any of those buttons. I think using that panel while driving is more dangerous than texting. 😭😞
Trust me I feel your pain. The Open garage button shows up when we get home but it’s on the wrong side or wrong screen IMO. As Hydbob stated perhaps a fix is coming. I was also told that a bigger software update is being worked on day and night.

BTW has this been discussed - My Wife would not drive the Car because all the doors unlock whenever you open the car. Service was here and they told me there is no way to make it behave like other cars where only the driver side door opens first and we have to click or double click to open the other doors. She feels it is a safety issue especially with all this stuff going on these days.

Trust me I feel your pain. The Open garage button shows up when we get home but it’s on the wrong side or wrong screen IMO. As Hydbob stated perhaps a fix is coming. I was also told that a bigger software update is being worked on day and night.

BTW has this been discussed - My Wife would not drive the Car because all the doors unlock whenever you open the car. Service was here and they told me there is no way to make it behave like other cars where only the driver side door opens first and we have to click or double click to open the other doors. She feels it is a safety issue especially with all this stuff going on these days.
My wife feels the same. She took the BMW and has no interest in driving the Lucid. Primarily because of the inability to turn off proximity unlock and not being able to set unlock to driver only.

What do you mean it’s on the wrong side or the wrong screen? It only ever pops up in the top left of the right dash panel?

I think the homelink buttons should be on the pilot panel with the camera view. There is plenty of real estate and then you wouldn’t have the back and forth of closing screens to access.

I havent heard that one before as a reason to not drive a vehicle.. Could just unlock all doors, keep finger on fob lock button, open driver door, then lock right as you open it. But, I dont know what it's like to be a female and dont share that fear so my opinion isnt the most relevant.

I havent heard that one before as a reason to not drive a vehicle.. Could just unlock all doors, keep finger on fob lock button, open driver door, then lock right as you open it. But, I dont know what it's like to be a female and dont share that fear so my opinion isnt the most relevant.
It’s pretty much standard across the industry. GM, Ford, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, MB……

This here is one of the reasons the Lucid fob is a bad design. By trying to cram so much functionality into one button, ironically, they've made it much more complicated to use and less reliable.

This here is one of the reasons the Lucid fob is a bad design. By trying to cram so much functionality into one button, ironically, they've made it much more complicated to use and less reliable.
Disagree, the fob is the most reliable way to lock/unlock the car.

Disagree, the fob is the most reliable way to lock/unlock the car.
Compared to the phone or the valet card, I'd agree. My point was more about having to memorize Morse code to do basic functions. Having a fob with dedicated buttons and clear icons means the mnemonics are right there in front of the user. Mapping a driver->passenger unlock sequence looks like opening the frunk with the current fob. Mapping a panic function could be a dedicated button or blindly holding any button for 5-10 seconds. I'd also argue that NOT using bluetooth for a fob, and using less populous frequencies that are dedicated to remote control, would be a big help too. But that's wandering off topic...

It’s pretty much standard across the industry. GM, Ford, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, MB……
Tesla, notably, does not do one door at a time. For the same reason Lucid didn't do it. With proximity unlock, they don't really have a reliable way to know which door you are approaching. Bluetooth just isn't accurate enough. So if you went to open the back door to drop off a box, or something, the door would still be locked.

They could let you disable proximity unlock, and then only open the driver door on first press of the fob, I suppose. But maybe there's some sort of limitation in their hardware design that prevents that? Hard to say.

What do you mean it’s on the wrong side or the wrong screen? It only ever pops up in the top left of the right dash panel?
And that is precisely what I mean. It should be on the left side of the LEFT Screen because the backup camera shows on the right. Same as the other users concern.

Back