Pure driver headrest comfort issue

mushoku

I test drove an Air Pure a few days ago and found the driver headrest to be very uncomfortable. It pushes my head forward such that my choices are 1) relax and let my head be tilted forward, turning my eyes upward to see straight ahead (which looks intimidating, but is really uncomfortable), 2) keep my neck muscles engaged to prevent my shoulders from resting against the seat so that my head can be in a natural position (which leads to muscle strain and headaches), 3) lean the seat back really far like a low-rider (not going to happen, probably also very uncomfortable), or 4) get a different car.

I never had this kind of issue with my Camry or Mini. I did have it with Rav4 Prime, but was able to turn the headrest around and strap a small cushion to it such that my shoulder and neck are very well supported. Problem with the Air Pure is that the headrest is firmly part of the seat - there's no removing it without butchering the seat (or getting a custom made seat, which really isn't an option) - such that I don't believe there is a way to strap a cushion to it.

I know this is an issue that doesn't impact very many people, but I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue and found a solution. I want my back between my shoulders and my head to both be supported without having to look like I'm posing for a movie poster for the latest psych thriller. I mean, I also want my neck to be supported, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks!

You can adjust the headrest forward and backward in the seat menu.

You can adjust the headrest forward and backward in the seat menu.
Not on the Pure or Touring. This feature is on GT and above only.

I test drove an Air Pure a few days ago and found the driver headrest to be very uncomfortable. It pushes my head forward such that my choices are 1) relax and let my head be tilted forward, turning my eyes upward to see straight ahead (which looks intimidating, but is really uncomfortable), 2) keep my neck muscles engaged to prevent my shoulders from resting against the seat so that my head can be in a natural position (which leads to muscle strain and headaches), 3) lean the seat back really far like a low-rider (not going to happen, probably also very uncomfortable), or 4) get a different car.

I never had this kind of issue with my Camry or Mini. I did have it with Rav4 Prime, but was able to turn the headrest around and strap a small cushion to it such that my shoulder and neck are very well supported. Problem with the Air Pure is that the headrest is firmly part of the seat - there's no removing it without butchering the seat (or getting a custom made seat, which really isn't an option) - such that I don't believe there is a way to strap a cushion to it.

I know this is an issue that doesn't impact very many people, but I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue and found a solution. I want my back between my shoulders and my head to both be supported without having to look like I'm posing for a movie poster for the latest psych thriller. I mean, I also want my neck to be supported, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks!
My wife is 4'11". She, too finds the headrest to be too far forward. What helped her is a small air cushion placed on top of the seat, which lifts her about a half inch. Puts the headrest in a slightly better spot relative to her head. It's still not perfect, but it's better at least.

Hey I was watching doug damuro sapphire review. In it he shows how the headrests can be adjusted manually. It looks like their is a cavity in the bottom of the headrest you can put your hand in and push or pull the headrest forward or backwards.

Hey I was watching doug damuro sapphire review. In it he shows how the headrests can be adjusted manually. It looks like their is a cavity in the bottom of the headrest you can put your hand in and push or pull the headrest forward or backwards.
The headrest forward and backward adjustment is only available on higher trim Air. Pure and Touring do not have such option.

I don't find the headrest uncomfortable. I don't think they are forwarded enough for me liking.

Everybody's neck is a little different. Those headrests are perfect for someone who spent their career in front of a computer screen.

Everybody's neck is a little different. Those headrests are perfect for someone who spent their career in front of a computer screen.
Considering the cars target audience is "mid-40s geeks," I'd say that the computer screen description is spot on.

The Sapphire also has different seats and headrests than other Air models; the Sapphire is intended to bucket you more, with much stronger side bolsters, to keep you from bouncing around on a track. Similarly, the headrest moving back and forward as you mention is there to make room for a driving helmet specifically in the Sapphire.

Back