RESOLVED Frunk closing not smooth

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
When I press the trunk close button, it lowers itself smoothly and at a reasonable speed. On my car, when I press the frunk button, that closes very quickly and kind of hard. And since my hand is inside the frunk to get it, I'm jumping back out of the way before my hand gets crunched. Is that normal?

Yes, you must be swift young grasshopper with removing your hand. Lucid really should have implemented a beep, followed by the closing. Once you realize you need to be quick, pressing the button on the inner frunk is easy. I haven't tested how much resistance is needed to make it stop. Next time I'm at Costco, I'll experiment with a hot dog. Will report on my findings.

Yes, you must be swift young grasshopper with removing your hand. Lucid really should have implemented a beep, followed by the closing. Once you realize you need to be quick, pressing the button on the inner frunk is easy. I haven't tested how much resistance is needed to make it stop. Next time I'm at Costco, I'll experiment with a hot dog. Will report on my findings.
I can see the service request at Lucid now:

Mobile service needed as owner tried to stop a closing frunk with a hot dog, meat got stuck inside the closing mechanism and now when the a/c fans go on, the interior smells of sauerkraut and mustard. 🌭

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the frunk closing all that fast. Sure, it's faster than the trunk, but I've never come close to getting my hand stuck in there.

If it scares you, though, it's helpful to remember you can close it from inside the car after sitting down. Or by using the fob.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the frunk closing all that fast. Sure, it's faster than the trunk, but I've never come close to getting my hand stuck in there.

If it scares you, though, it's helpful to remember you can close it from inside the car after sitting down. Or by using the fob.
I was showing my car to a family member, they were checking it out and pressed the frunk button and they were also expecting a warning.

Frunk came down hard and bonked them on the head cause he was looking inside and he's tall.

Needless to say, we're used to it, but anyone else would consider it too fast

I was showing my car to a family member, they were checking it out and pressed the frunk button and they were also expecting a warning.

Frunk came down hard and bonked them on the head cause he was looking inside and he's tall.

Wish you had a video! 😅

Because the frunk doesn't have a close button like the trunk, I always close it manually. I wonder which is easier/better on the car?

Last edited:
I want a video from Tim-in-CA if he does the hot dog experiment! But seriously, it if hit him on the head, that means there is no safety features on it closing. When my visitor tried it, he was leaning over into the frunk to push the button, and I warned him to get clear quickly. Otherwise he would have gotten bonked too.

I can see the service request at Lucid now:

Mobile service needed as owner tried to stop a closing frunk with a hot dog, meat got stuck inside the closing mechanism and now when the a/c fans go on, the interior smells of sauerkraut and mustard. 🌭
With a dash of ketchup as needed!

I want a video from Tim-in-CA if he does the hot dog experiment! But seriously, it if hit him on the head, that means there is no safety features on it closing. When my visitor tried it, he was leaning over into the frunk to push the button, and I warned him to get clear quickly. Otherwise he would have gotten bonked too.
I tested with a pool noodle a year ago:

Post in thread 'Frunk closing' https://lucidowners.com/threads/frunk-closing.2226/post-55415

It opens quickly and comes to a stop abruptly.

I have shelving in my garage about 6' from floor.

First time I opened the frunk below the shelving, I panicked because I thought it was going to slam into the steel shelf, but it stopped well short.

Back