Frunk was frozen shut this morning and tore the gaskets

Is this adhesive exclusive to the motorized frunk?

I have the non-motoroized Frunk and am trying to find adhesive materials.

That said, my frunk can also be finicky and difficult to open in cold weather (especially since I park the vehicle outside).

Attached is a picture of my frunk. Is the adhesive on the frunk lid?

View attachment IMG_0451.jpeg

When the mobile tech replaced my gaskets he put some silicone lubricant on the plastic where the rubber gaskets on the hood meet the lower plastic surrounding the frunk. He thought it might help and couldn't hurt. I've just avoided opening it on days that have gone from melt to cold for the last few weeks.

That said, my frunk can also be finicky and difficult to open in cold weather (especially since I park the vehicle outside).
The adhesive I know about attaches the foam rubber gaskets to the duct assembly in the hood. In normal usage one would never see it because the foam gaskets aren't supposed to come off.

The adhesive I was talking about is under this...

Attachments

• IMG_5813.jpg
    IMG_5813.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
The adhesive I was talking about is under this...

Got it, that is helpful to see. It very much blends in with the plastic there.

Given this brutal cold, rain, and snow - I may soon join you with a need for adhesive repair!

Unless you have to, not sure why people are using their frunks in freezing cycles where it can freeze shut?

Applying Liquid Wrench M914 silicon spray around frunk seals in the late fall when I change from summer to all season tires has become part of my Lucid winterizing routine.

If there was a function of the car, I would expect it to work in all reasonable conditions, including freezing temperatures.
Freeze thaw cycles I would consider outside reasonable conditions. But that's just me. Also, expecting something to work when you know there's "possible design flaw" would seemingly be something that would then be the fault of the user.

Freeze thaw cycles I would consider outside reasonable conditions. But that's just me. Also, expecting something to work when you know there's "possible design flaw" would seemingly be something that would then be the fault of the user.
But that design flaw shouldn't exist in the first place... now if Lucid(the company, not the forum) notified them and explicitly told them not to use the frunk, it would be a different story.

Don't forget, you live in a place that barely has freezing conditions! Here in the NE, freezing is very normal and for us it is reasonable. Maybe for you it isnt, as you said!

But that design flaw shouldn't exist in the first place... now if Lucid(the company, not the forum) notified them and explicitly told them not to use the frunk, it would be a different story.

Don't forget, you live in a place that barely has freezing conditions! Here in the NE, freezing is very normal and for us it is reasonable. Maybe for you it isnt, as you said!
Things freeze. That's not a "flaw". That's reality. Sometimes doors freeze shut in winter. Such is the reality of ice. Particularly ice with wind blowing over it.

If you've lived in the cold for any appreciable amount of time you've learned to live with these realities and avoid getting inconvenienced, rather than expecting some sort of fantasy where ice doesn't freeze things.

So by your logic, is doors freeze shut after a freezing rain overnight, then it's the company's fault?

Things freeze. That's not a "flaw". That's reality. Sometimes doors freeze shut in winter. Such is the reality of ice. Particularly ice with wind blowing over it.

If you've lived in the cold for any appreciable amount of time you've learned to live with these realities and avoid getting inconvenienced, rather than expecting some sort of fantasy where ice doesn't freeze things.
There has been considerable criticism of the door opening system on many EVs because of freezing. ice on car parts is a common problem in cold climates.

1...I use my frunk a lot...
I, too, use the frunk a lot, much more than the convention trunk. I love its invention. Fortunately, I live where it seldom snows in decades.

No, but if it breaks due to the automatic system attempting to open the frunk, then yes.
your just begging for nothing to be automated then.

While we are on the subject of freezing conditions and the AIR, I have a time sensitive matter for the forum -

What is the best/appropriate course of action when using car cover in the snow?

It is currently snowing in Maryland (along with most of the NorthEast), albeit flurries, still it is enough to have made a mess of the roads and my Lucid. My rear door handles were almost frozen shut upon unlocking the car, I had to manually intervene as they were stuck at first.

Forecast has it getting colder tonight and with 3 more inches of snow. My car is wet to touch and flurries are coming down. I need to drive to Virginia in the morning.

Should I put the car cover this afternoon? Do I try to dry the car with towels, even if still wet in some parts, then put the cover on? Could the car cover get stuck to the lucid in the morning perhaps making things more difficult for me? Are these all terrible ideas?

Thank you in advance from someone who has never before used a car cover.

Should I put the car cover this afternoon? Do I try to dry the car with towels, even if still wet in some parts, then put the cover on? Could the car cover get stuck to the lucid in the morning perhaps making things more difficult for me? Are these all terrible ideas?

Here in VA, I put the cover on yesterday. No issues taking it off this morning. There was some ice on the outside of the cover, but it fell right off. I turned on the heat remotely - got it up to 79F to thaw things as best I could while still charging at home. I carry a towel with me to mostly dry it off before I put the cover on and after I take it off, but that's mostly just to avoid water stains. I think the inside of the cover is slick enough you shouldn't have any issues. Don't forget to check/fill your tires too during this cold front.

While we are on the subject of freezing conditions and the AIR, I have a time sensitive matter for the forum -

What is the best/appropriate course of action when using car cover in the snow?

It is currently snowing in Maryland (along with most of the NorthEast), albeit flurries, still it is enough to have made a mess of the roads and my Lucid. My rear door handles were almost frozen shut upon unlocking the car, I had to manually intervene as they were stuck at first.

Forecast has it getting colder tonight and with 3 more inches of snow. My car is wet to touch and flurries are coming down. I need to drive to Virginia in the morning.

Personally I don’t put a cover on a wet car to avoid it getting frozen to the car.

No, but if it breaks due to the automatic system attempting to open the frunk, then yes.
I don’t think that was the question @hydbob was really asking.

There have been numerous reports here of the frunk freezing shut in freezing temperatures. Knowing that, I would… stop using the frunk in freeing temperatures.

The car has so much space, I doubt anyone is like nah, the frunk is the only space left because I’ve got my ufo in the trunk.

So it doesn’t matter if it “should” happen or if it is a design flaw or not — that is a separate, and potentially interesting, discussion.

But rather than lubricating foam, I would just not use the frunk in freezing temps 🥶 🤷‍♂️

Back