For those considering a 100amp breaker install

do you know what speed you would get with a 15-40 outlet? how many miles per hour of charging?
A NEMA 15-40 outlet will draw 32 amps so the maximum is 7.68 kW per hour. I like to use kW instead of miles because miles are subjective - depends on car efficiency, outside temp, how aggressively you drive, etc. In a Dream Edition 118 kW battery, it would take 15 hours to charge from 0 to 100% (118 kW / 7.68 kW per hour). However you are never charging from completely empty to completely full. A more realistic 20 to 80% charge would take ~71 kw of energy or 9.1 hours of charging at 32 amps.

For various level 2 charging amperages in a 240 volt outlet , the time to add 70 kW in a Lucid battery:
32 amps (many home charger units) = 7.68 kW per hour = 9.1 hours
40 amps (NEMA 14-50; Lucid mobile charger and other home charger units) = 9.6 kW per hour = 7.3 hours
48 amps (hardwired in a 60 amp circuit, several home chargers) = 11.52 kW per hour = 6.1 hours
50 amps (hardwired in a 70 amp circuit, Max output for ChargePoint Flex home charger) = 12 kW per hour = 5.8 hours
80 amps (Lucid Home Charger and some Clipper Creek chargers in a 100 amp circuit) = 19.2 kW per hour = 3.6 hours

A NEMA 15-40 outlet will draw 32 amps so the maximum is 7.68 kW per hour. I like to use kW instead of miles because miles are subjective - depends on car efficiency, outside temp, how aggressively you drive, etc. In a Dream Edition 118 kW battery, it would take 15 hours to charge from 0 to 100% (118 kW / 7.68 kW per hour). However you are never charging from completely empty to completely full. A more realistic 20 to 80% charge would take ~71 kw of energy or 9.1 hours of charging at 32 amps.

For various level 2 charging amperages in a 240 volt outlet , the time to add 70 kW in a Lucid battery:
40 amps (NEMA 14-50; Lucid mobile charger and other home charger units) = 9.6 kW per hour = 7.3 hours
48 amps (hardwired in a 60 amp circuit, several home chargers) = 11.52 kW per hour = 6.1 hours
50 amps (hardwired in a 70 amp circuit, Max output for ChargePoint Flex home charger) = 12 kW per hour = 5.8 hours
80 amps (Lucid Home Charger and some Clipper Creek chargers in a 100 amp circuit) = 19.2 kW per hour = 3.6 hours
Not all of the power that comes out of the wall will make it into the battery due to losses during charging. A good estimate is 15% loss or add 15% to the charging time provided by Sandvinsd.

So how does this work for the V2G application? Does the above mean the maximum that can be utilized by my home via the Lucid Home Charger is 19.2 kw? If so what can I expect to be able to utilize in the house during a power outage (air conditioning; refrigerator; TV; freezer; etc) and realistically for how long?

During power outage, you are mainly looking to power refrigerator, freezer, medical equipment. Everything else should really be off the table.

During power outage, you are mainly looking to power refrigerator, freezer, medical equipment. Everything else should really be off the table.
Yeah I hear you but I was hopeful I could run the house like normal for some period of time. If not then maybe a Generac is a better option.

super helpful. i can tell my electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 charger and that should be enough to charge my car overnight, no?

Pretty much, just tell your electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 plug and make sure they actually run a wire and breaker that can do 50 amps. Then you can plug in the provided charger or buy a separate wall charger like Clipper Creek or Chargepoint

super helpful. i can tell my electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 charger and that should be enough to charge my car overnight, no?
Yes. That should be fine for overnight charging. If you are having an electrician pull a line and actually install a charging unit, I would recommend that he hardwire a ChargePoint Flex to run at 50 amps (Draw can be no more than 80% of the circuit rating). If he is just putting a plug for you, then the NEMA 14-50 will allow a 40 amp draw and is sufficient for overnight. If you are wanting bidirectional functionality with the Lucid Home charger when available, do what was recommended earlier in this thread and draw a 100amp line to a sub panel and a NEMA 14-50 plug from that for use until the Lucid home charger is available.

For a ChargePoint Flex which is highly rated:

Yes. That should be fine for overnight charging. If you are having an electrician pull a line and actually install a charging unit, I would recommend that he hardwire a ChargePoint Flex to run at 50 amps. If he is just putting a plug for you, then the NEMA 14-50 will allow a 40 amp draw and is sufficient for overnight. If you are wanting bidirectional functionality with the Lucid Home charger when available, do what was recommended earlier in this thread and draw a 100amp line to a sub panel and a NEMA 14-50 plug from that for use until the Lucid home charger is available.

Okay that is good information. I already have a Nema 14-50 plug wth a 40 amp breaker that was installed so I could charge my Panamera E-Hybrid. If I understand you correctly, when the Lucid Home Charger is available I will have to run a new 100amp line directly from my panel (or new sub panel) to the Lucid Home Charger to get the bi-directional capability. But my former Nema 14-50 outlet with 40 amp breaker will still be available to charge another EV which I intend to buy for my wife, correct?

Okay that is good information. I already have a Nema 14-50 plug wth a 40 amp breaker that was installed so I could charge my Panamera E-Hybrid. If I understand you correctly, when the Lucid Home Charger is available I will have to run a new 100amp line directly from my panel (or new sub panel) to the Lucid Home Charger to get the bi-directional capability. But my former Nema 14-50 outlet with 40 amp breaker will still be available to charge another EV which I intend to buy for my wife, correct?
Your NEMA14-50 should have been wired with a 50 amp breaker and appropriately sized wire. If you only have a 40 amp circuit, you can only charge at 32 amps. But it can be used to charge, just slower. You can use that to charge the Lucid for now if you want. If you get something like the. ChargePoint Flex, it will need to be set to only draw 32 amps. Not sure if the Lucid Mobile charger provided can be told to only draw 32 as it can pull a full 40.

As for the Licid Home charger, yes, you will need a 100 amp line. If you don’t need to run a line yet, I would just wait and have the electrician run the line and install the Lucid Home Charger at one time when you finally get it.

Your NEMA14-50 should have been wired with a 50 amp breaker and appropriately sized wire. If you only have a 40 amp circuit, you can only charge at 32 amps. But it can be used to charge, just slower. You can use that to charge the Lucid for now if you want. If you get something like the. ChargePoint Flex, it will need to be set to only draw 32 amps. Not sure if the Lucid Mobile charger provided can be told to only draw 32 as it can pull a full 40.

As for the Licid Home charger, yes, you will need a 100 amp line. If you don’t need to run a line yet, I would just wait and have the electrician run the line and install the Lucid Home Charger at one time when you finally get it.
The Lucid home charger is smart enough to not draw more than cam be given. I was able to test that when I was running my tests with the Chargepoint and figured out the wiring that was installed for the charger only gave me up to 30amps. I tripped the breaker multiple times before I found that out and set the Chargepoint to a lower amp setting. I also used the Lucid charger overnight with no issue.

The Lucid home charger is smart enough to not draw more than cam be given. I was able to test that when I was running my tests with the Chargepoint and figured out the wiring that was installed for the charger only gave me up to 30amps. I tripped the breaker multiple times before I found that out and set the Chargepoint to a lower amp setting. I also used the Lucid charger overnight with no issue.

Okay that sounds good. I'm getting an estimate for the installation of the Lucid Home Charger with bi-directional capability from a local "EV Expert" installer. This is the same outfit that I believe was used by Borski. They have been in touch with Lucid and apparently have a good understanding of exactly what will be involved to do the install correctly once the Home Charger is available.

Good to know!

Yes. That should be fine for overnight charging. If you are having an electrician pull a line and actually install a charging unit, I would recommend that he hardwire a ChargePoint Flex to run at 50 amps (Draw can be no more than 80% of the circuit rating). If he is just putting a plug for you, then the NEMA 14-50 will allow a 40 amp draw and is sufficient for overnight. If you are wanting bidirectional functionality with the Lucid Home charger when available, do what was recommended earlier in this thread and draw a 100amp line to a sub panel and a NEMA 14-50 plug from that for use until the Lucid home charger is available.

what's the benefit of ChargePoint? Doesn't Lucid already come with a wire to plug to NEMA 14-50?

what's the benefit of ChargePoint? Doesn't Lucid already come with a wire to plug to NEMA 14-50?
Yes, the Lucid mobile EVSE plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. No benefit to a ChargePoint, Clipper Creek, etc. Although, some people like to leave that in the car and have another one attached to the wall for daily charging Which is why they would purchase one.

Yes, the Lucid mobile EVSE plugs into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. No benefit to a ChargePoint, Clipper Creek, etc. Although, some people like to leave that in the car and have another one attached to the wall for daily charging Which is why they would purchase one.
There are also some other benefits.
The Chargepoint Flex for instance allows configuring charging inside of it, so any EV we plug in won't charge until we are on non-peak billing hours for electricity. It also keeps track of how much electricity and the cost we have spent on charging electric vehicles.

The Chargepoint Flex for instance allows configuring charging inside of it, so any EV we plug in won't charge until we are on non-peak billing hours for electricity. It also keeps track of how much electricity and the cost we have spent on charging electric vehicles.
Yup. In crazy CA our SDG&E rates just went up on Jan 1st to 66 cents per kWh on peak time and 10.8 cents between midnight and 6am. We always set our ChargePoint to charge at off-peak. Just plug in when we pull into the garage.

i see. i wonder if this can be done via the Lucid app. it shouldn't be that hard to set a peak time so it knows when to actually start charging the battery and when to stop.

I have 3 Tesla (version 2) Chargers in my garage. The main panel for them is 125A. They are wired in load sharing configuration via the RS422 cable between the chargers. They each have their own circuit breakers (100A, 100A, 90A). With a Tesla to J1772 adapter the max power the car currently has drawn is 17kW, although it should be 19.2kW. This is probably due to the power sharing nature of the chargers.

The Tesla car software has a charge time setting. The Tesla chargers do not. Lucid cars currently do not have charge timers. Currently, since it's winter time here, the peak hours are 6am-9am & 6pm-9pm, so it's not much of a hassle to charge up.

When there are 3 cars plugged in, even though 2 of them may not be charging, the Tesla Master charger will not allocate the full 80A to any one charger. Also the power to the chargers goes up/down only every 2 minutes. This way the the master charger tests to see which vehicles are able to draw power and adjusts the power up/down for each vehicle.

Does anyone happen to know, with the Charge Point Flex, can't it be kept off and turned on only with an app? Wondering if I install one outside at my office but not really looking for it to be used but the general public without my control.

Back