For those considering a 100amp breaker install

Regarding the capability for the Lucid Air to supply power to the panel, are there any estimates as to how many circuits it could power? I assume it’s not the whole house? I’d is? Assuming a fully charged car how much time can you expect to power the home ?
Thanks

Regarding the capability for the Lucid Air to supply power to the panel, are there any estimates as to how many circuits it could power? I assume it’s not the whole house? I’d is? Assuming a fully charged car how much time can you expect to power the home ?
Thanks

Given that the battery can produce the current to launch a 5,236-pound car to 60 in under 2.5 seconds, I imagine it could easily power any load a good sized-house is going to present at any given moment (assuming the wall charger can handle it). However, how long it will do so depends on the size of and equipment in the house.

I have read that a pack the size of Lucid's could power an "average" home for 4 days, but that's almost meaningless. in what season? How is the house heated and cooled? How big is the house? What electrical equipment does it have?

Most power companies have a section on their website where you can find the average monthly power usage on your account. From that you should be able to get a good estimate of how long a Lucid battery would power the house.

Given my power usage for a normal day, the Lucid could power my house for 1 day, haha

Your home probably has a 200 or 300 Amp feed. The Lucid on a 100 Amp circuit can only provide 80 Amps. It cannot power your entire house without cutting loads like air conditioning etc. How long it will power your house really depends on your loads. Here in AZ during the summer, not very long even with reduced loads.

I have a mountain cabin off-grid in Colorado that only has a 20 kWhr pack with solar. i could power that cabin for a entire week or more.

Your home probably has a 200 or 300 Amp feed. The Lucid on a 100 Amp circuit can only provide 80 Amps. It cannot power your entire house without cutting loads like air conditioning etc. How long it will power your house really depends on your loads. Here in AZ during the summer, not very long even with reduced loads.

This is the reason I installed a 35-kw generator at our house, as it would have taken 5-7 Tesla Powerwalls to power the house during the prolonged outages we can have in Florida after a hurricane.

i think the Lucid battery would be a useful power backup for brief outages or to reduce peak power usage from the grid and then recharge the car battery during off-peak hours. However, that's going to add a lot of recharge cycles to the battery, thus reducing its service life and hastening the decline in driving range that comes with an aging battery.

So given what you just wrote, I'm wondering about how often I should charge my Dream battery. I used to plug in my Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid every night but it only would go about 25 miles on battery alone. Assuming I get roughly 350 miles from the Dream and on average I drive about 35 miles/day, is it better to let the battery run all the way down to 20% or so and then charge back up to 80% as a maximum, except for when going on a long trip? Or is it better to continually charge each night back up to 80%? I'm not sure its a good idea to leave the battery sitting at night without being charged??

So given what you just wrote, I'm wondering about how often I should charge my Dream battery. I used to plug in my Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid every night but it only would go about 25 miles on battery alone. Assuming I get roughly 350 miles from the Dream and on average I drive about 35 miles/day, is it better to let the battery run all the way down to 20% or so and then charge back up to 80% as a maximum, except for when going on a long trip? Or is it better to continually charge each night back up to 80%? I'm not sure its a good idea to leave the battery sitting at night without being charged??

Lucid recommends plugging in every night. I don’t think partial recharges count as a full recharge cycle, so you’re not hastening deterioration.

Ok so just to be clear; plug it in every night but just charge up to 80%, right?

Lucid recommends plugging in every night. I don’t think partial recharges count as a full recharge cycle, so you’re not hastening deterioration.
My understanding is that if you charged, as an example, from 60%-80% five times, that would count as one full charge-discharge cycle.

My understanding is that if you charged, as an example, from 60%-80% five times, that would count as one full charge-discharge cycle.
On my Leaf, whether I charge for 5 minutes or 5 hours, LeafSpy shows each as a charging session. Now the battery would obviously ‘see’ things differently, but I’m not sure how you would quantify that.

On my Leaf, whether I charge for 5 minutes or 5 hours, LeafSpy shows each as a charging session. Now the battery would obviously ‘see’ things differently, but I’m not sure how you would quantify that.

I don't think that counting recharge cycles in the conventional sense has much relevance. The issue is how much dendrite formation and other changes occur in the cells over time, and "counting" recharge cycles is just a proxy for tracking that. If you put 20% of a charge into the battery, you are not inducing as many chemical changes as if you put 100% of a charge into the battery. It may not be exactly 1/5 the amount of chemical changes, as those are also functions of speed of charge and how near the upper and lower limits of battery capacity you are . . . but it's a rough approximation.

The point is that plugging in every night to add a few kWh's of energy back to the pack does not have the same deleterious effect on the battery as plugging in every night and doing a 0-100% charge. In other words, it's not how many times you plug in. It's how much cumulative energy is put back into the battery over time. And that's a function of how much driving you do, not how many times you plug in.

Why not just run this? I have a 48amp dedicated unit for my ETron. I'll be installing this one for faster charging as well (on a dedicated 100amp circuit).

I have never touched my etron charging cable--I've never seen it--, and I suspect my Lucid's cable will stay in that neat little pouch.

T
Why not just run this? I have a 48amp dedicated unit for my ETron. I'll be installing this one for faster charging as well (on a dedicated 100amp circuit).

I have never touched my etron charging cable--I've never seen it--, and I suspect my Lucid's cable will stay in that neat little pouch.
i would just get the Lucid home charger which is also at 80 amps. It will allow for bidirectional charging and probably will be chapeaper.

I know everyone has a slightly different situation but for me after having 2 EVs (Tesla Models S and X), I’ll stick with the 15-40 outlet on a 50 amp circuit. I plug it in the garage so it charges overnight. I don’t need the fast charging in the garage. Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation.

I don’t plan to buy the Lucid home charger. At least not now. I can mount the Lucid mobile cable on my garage wall just like I now have my Tesla cable.

Also just as an FYI, when I travel on long trips I usually take the charging cable with me just in case.

I know everyone has a slightly different situation but for me after having 2 EVs (Tesla Models S and X), I’ll stick with the 15-40 outlet on a 50 amp circuit. I plug it in the garage so it charges overnight. I don’t need the fast charging in the garage. Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation.

I don’t plan to buy the Lucid home charger. At least not now. I can mount the Lucid mobile cable on my garage wall just like I now have my Tesla cable.

Also just as an FYI, when I travel on long trips I usually take the charging cable with me just in case.
do you know what speed you would get with a 15-40 outlet? how many miles per hour of charging?

40 mi/hr

do you know what speed you would get with a 15-40 outlet? how many miles per hour of charging?

On my Tesla Model X I get 20 miles per hour. I hear that with Lucid it will be much more.

Back