Feedback/improvements for the Air!

Tesla has supported NFC unlock & drive on Android phones for at least several years, as well as standard the PAAK mechanism. NFC worked without any additional user programming or configuration - it was as if the NFC passed the same token to the car as the usual bluetooth mechanism. It's not exactly a backup though as all is still lost without a phone - still need to carry the backup NFC card.

Incidentally, I discovered through talking to a Lucid engineer: if your key fob battery is dead (even totally dead) you can hold it *under* the camera on the driver side middle column and push in the door handle, and it will unlock, as a backup.

Above the camera is the passive RFID sensor for the valet card, below the camera is the NFC sensor for the key fob!

Ok, so if the car has an NFC sensor can I disable BLE? I guess when I get my car I can see if turning Bluetooth off and NFC on does anything. Using app away from car that's over internet correct? I want one of the rings that my friend who has a Tesla uses.

Ok, so if the car has an NFC sensor can I disable BLE? I guess when I get my car I can see if turning Bluetooth off and NFC on does anything. Using app away from car that's over internet correct? I want one of the rings that my friend who has a Tesla uses.

Yeah, the app uses the internet. Over time I assume you’ll be able to use Apple Car Key and other aftermarket keys like the ring; just not yet.

Yeah, the app uses the internet. Over time I assume you’ll be able to use Apple Car Key and other aftermarket keys like the ring; just not yet.

I'm still waiting to hear if Lucid is going to make my Millbrae delivery on June 24th happen.

Car needs a young/new driver mode (password). Need to limit performance. I wouldn't want my daughter being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds as a teen driver.

Could also call it Valet Mode, even though I can see needing both with different limits for each.

Car needs a young/new driver mode (password). Need to limit performance. I wouldn't want my daughter being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds as a teen driver.

You can use the Guest profile which doesn’t allow you to go into Sprint mode.

Or you could just go my route...my son will never drive this car until/unless he inherits it after my death.

Or you could just go my route...my son will never drive this car until/unless he inherits it after my death.
I don't know about you guys, but this car is getting buried with me...

On the dream drive mode, need to get lane keeping and automatic lane change working

On the dream drive mode, need to get lane keeping and automatic lane change working
The combination of those is called "Highway Assist" and they have said it's coming Q2 of this year, possibly early Q3.

I've had the DE for about a month. Like many others, I also have a Tesla (and various ICE vehicles).

General Feedback:
-------------------
It has a beautiful look and lines. I wouldn't have got it otherwise. I think it's elegant yet understated. You can take it to the supermarket and not look ridiculous putting groceries through gull-wing doors. (on that note, the FOB should really open the rear trunk). Those who know.. well know. I've gotten lots of questions from enthusiasts and completely unnoticed by others. As time passes the novelty will wear and it will be as exciting as seeing a Model S on the road. I'm ok with that. I got this one because I can see it as a daily driver that looks beautiful, is an undercover sports car and is incredibly comfortable to ride in. It's a great balancing act that Lucid nailed. The performace on the top end (60-100mph) is incredible for any car let alone a heavy four door sedan. There are some quirks - most can be addressed via software, and reading the thread I can see many have already been raised. I put a few below:

Non-Software:
---------------
-There is a serious glare/reflection from the windshield that's near constant. You can see the dash and dash stitching like a rainbow across the windshield from the drivers position most of the day. Sunglasses help.
-The lower screen also has some serious glare that makes it difficult to see in full sun. The glass roof is probably not helping.
-When using the top screen, your fingers/palm naturally rests on the dash (alpaca part) while your fingers move about the screen. That nice strip is going to seriously wear over time - I find myself hovering my hand in mid-air over the screen as I'm trying to use it.
- High pitched noise that's not speed dependent. I haven't figured out how/when it happens yet. It's not terrible, but my wife mentioned it.
-Door open interior trigger. It's unique, but it's not ideal. It's a bit confusing for passengers and not ergonomic. Albeit, it's better than the button on Model3.

Software:
----------
-General access and startup is still a hot mess. This is my #1 issue. I don't like carrying a key fob. I need to unlock the car using the app about 1 minute before approaching the car. Otherwise, I'm standing in front of the passenger door waiting for it to "wake up" for a while. Once I enter, it takes another minute for the computer to boot up from the lucid screen. I then need to enter a PIN to drive. I sat in the rear seat to figure out how to shut the rear shades. While doing so, the car locked and when I opened to exit, the alarm tripped. It took about a minute for me to navigate to app, wait for car to wake, and then click unlock. I think Lucid is aware of how other manufactures do this without issue.
-While the audio sounds great, I haven't quite figured out how to use it. Carplay would be the easiest fix. I play music from my phone. It's on the top screen - would be better on the bottom, but I can't keep it there. I have to do several clicks, screens to get music going each time i get in the car. If I use the inboard navigation, both screens turn into huge maps, and then I don't see any music options.
-Save/reload driver preferences (swift mode, seat cooling, music) upon exit/entry.
-To open my garage door, I have to click a few buttons (I can't recall the sequence maybe house icon->name-> then door name). Anyhow, it's too much. Proximity open would solve this.
-Key fob - reprogram to open rear trunk instead of trunk. When I see a bonnet open, I think someone needs a jump. Sure this may change over time, but we're not there yet.

Dream Drive:
------------
I'm anxious to review and give feedback. It doesn't do much yet - currently I see only adaptive cruise control. I'm looking forward to autopilot on long highway trips. My opinion - I don't think telsa FSD door to door is safe yet either. Tesla does well on the highway - but if I see stop lights, cones, forks, bikers, traffic circles, merging or really anything - there's a 50% chance I'm going to jerk the wheel to correct it. The idea is to relax and enjoy the ride - not be hypervigilant as if you're with a student driver.

deni /#415

Last edited:
I've had the DE for about a month. Like many others, I also have a Tesla (and various ICE vehicles).

General Feedback:
-------------------
It has a beautiful look and lines. I wouldn't have got it otherwise. I think it's elegant yet understated. You can take it to the supermarket and not look ridiculous putting groceries through gull-wing doors. (on that note, the FOB should really open the rear trunk). Those who know.. well know. I've gotten lots of questions from enthusiasts and completely unnoticed by others. As time passes the novelty will wear and it will be as exciting as seeing a Model S on the road. I'm ok with that. I got this one because I can see it as a daily driver that looks beautiful, is an undercover sports car and is incredibly comfortable to ride in. It's a great balancing act that Lucid nailed. The performace on the top end (60-100mph) is incredible for any car let alone a heavy four door sedan. There are some quirks - most can be addressed via software, and reading the thread I can see many have already been raised. I put a few below:

Non-Software:
---------------
-There is a serious glare/reflection from the windshield that's near constant. You can see the dash and dash stitching like a rainbow across the windshield from the drivers position most of the day. Sunglasses help.
-The lower screen also has some serious glare that makes it difficult to see in full sun. The glass roof is probably not helping.
-When using the top screen, your fingers/palm naturally rests on the dash (alpaca part) while your fingers move about the screen. That nice strip is going to seriously wear over time - I find myself hovering my hand in mid-air over the screen as I'm trying to use it.
- High pitched noise that's not speed dependent. I haven't figured out how/when it happens yet. It's not terrible, but my wife mentioned it.
-Door open interior trigger. It's unique, but it's not ideal. It's a bit confusing for passengers and not ergonomic. Albeit, it's better than the button on Model3.

Software:
----------
-General access and startup is still a hot mess. This is my #1 issue. I don't like carrying a key fob. I need to unlock the car using the app about 1 minute before approaching the car. Otherwise, I'm standing in front of the passenger door waiting for it to "wake up" for a while. Once I enter, it takes another minute for the computer to boot up from the lucid screen. I then need to enter a PIN to drive. I sat in the rear seat to figure out how to shut the rear shades. While doing so, the car locked and when I opened to exit, the alarm tripped. It took about a minute for me to navigate to app, wait for car to wake, and then click unlock. I think Lucid is aware of how other manufactures do this without issue.
-While the audio sounds great, I haven't quite figured out how to use it. Carplay would be the easiest fix. I play music from my phone. It's on the top screen - would be better on the bottom, but I can't keep it there. I have to do several clicks, screens to get music going each time i get in the car. If I use the inboard navigation, both screens turn into huge maps, and then I don't see any music options.
-Save/reload driver preferences (swift mode, seat cooling, music) upon exit/entry.
-To open my garage door, I have to click a few buttons (I can't recall the sequence maybe house icon->name-> then door name). Anyhow, it's too much. Proximity open would solve this.
-Key fob - reprogram to open rear trunk instead of trunk. When I see a bonnet open, I think someone needs a jump. Sure this may change over time, but we're not there yet.

Dream Drive:
------------
I'm anxious to review and give feedback. It doesn't do much yet - currently I see only adaptive cruise control. I'm looking forward to autopilot on long highway trips. My opinion - I don't think telsa FSD door to door is safe yet either. Tesla does well on the highway - but if I see stop lights, cones, forks, bikers, traffic circles, merging or really anything - there's a 50% chance I'm going to jerk the wheel to correct it. The idea is to relax and enjoy the ride - not be hypervigilant as if your with a student driver.

deni /#415
Hey Deni, nice review, just something that might help make your life easier.

Right now from your description you are using the app on your phone to unlock the car. Turn your phone into a mobile key and you won't have to put in a pin and you won't have to wait as long to get into the car.

From the app, upper right corner shows a phone with a "wifi" symbol above it. That is the mobile key button. Click it and follow the steps to add your mobile key.

From settings -> access&profiled->add key-> mobile key and follow directions.

This alone should alleviate some mild frustration

Hey Deni, nice review, just something that might help make your life easier.

Right now from your description you are using the app on your phone to unlock the car. Turn your phone into a mobile key and you won't have to put in a pin and you won't have to wait as long to get into the car.

From the app, upper right corner shows a phone with a "wifi" symbol above it. That is the mobile key button. Click it and follow the steps to add your mobile key.

From settings -> access&profiled->add key-> mobile key and follow directions.

This alone should alleviate some mild frustration
thanks. I double checked - it says "linked" already.

thanks. I double checked - it says "linked" already.
Hmm, then you shouldn't need a pin to drive. Maybe delete and re-add it?

How does a valet get the car started if it requires a PIN (and the owner is in the restaurant with her cellphone)?

The valet card will drive it without pin
Don't know if there was a specific setup required or it's the default but when I took my test drive, they used the card and the pilot panel prompted for a pin but we never had to enter one. Put foot on brake pedal, card on ceiling where microphone is and we were good to go. Had to do this procedure every time we put the car in Park.

Don't know if there was a specific setup required or it's the default but when I took my test drive, they used the card and the pilot panel prompted for a pin but we never had to enter one. Put foot on brake pedal, card on ceiling where microphone is and we were good to go. Had to do this procedure every time we put the car in Park.
Correct, card on ceiling is the trick.

Back