EZSpare or Modern Spare or EWSportline or Get a 19"/20" wheel and "some" tire w/ appropriate circumference?

Worldwide Beagle

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2023 AT Cosmos-Tahoe 21"
Just finished reading the 17 page SPARE thread. Took lots of coffee. Lots of recommendations. No consensus.

I see three companies selling spares for Lucid. If I am not concerned about space, do I just get a 19" wheel and an appropriate circumference tire? I have done that for several Audi's and love that its a real wheel and tire.. My S7 has an old A6 rim and tire in it. After all, its JUST TO GET YA HOME (or shop).

I think you'll get a rec from all 3. Personally went with the EZ Spare because at the time it was the only one available.

The EVSportLine has the nicest looking wheels and they are made specifically for the Lucid, rather than a generic spare:
(I've never bought any spare tires for the Lucid. Just reading their internet info)

Do you know if the EVSportLine will fit in the frunk??
I just bought one. I don’t have time to take pictures, but it DOES FIT. It’s not perfectly flat, but you can put the shelf back with no problems. I don’t think any of the available spares would be a problem, because they all use the same diameter size tire.

I will tell you that a full size spare will NOT fit anywhere in the frunk. Tried that with a new winter wheel and tire 245-45/19. The tire width is too wide.

Here is the answer to my question on the EVSportLine fitting in the frunk: it will go in but you give up the folding board that makes it flat. There is room under the spare for jack and lug wrench. It comes with a cover that is nice and fairly heavy duty.. Some room on the sides. Will make me much more comfortable out in the middle of no where!

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 172
Here is the answer to my question on the EVSportLine fitting in the frunk: it will go in but you give up the folding board that makes it flat. There is room under the spare for jack and lug wrench. It comes with a cover that is nice and fairly heavy duty.. Some room on the sides. Will make me much more comfortable out in the middle of no where!
I was able to get the EVSportline to fit with the jack and still keep the folding board. My kit didn't include a pair of gloves. Did yours?

PXL_20230727_231453811.jpgPXL_20230727_231534346.MP.jpg

I have got the exact same setup 🤝

I was able to get the EVSportline to fit with the jack and still keep the folding board. My kit didn't include a pair of gloves. Did yours?

View attachment 13770View attachment 13771
I too was able to get the EVSportline to fit under the folding board.

I too didn’t get the gloves, but got a shipping notice that they are being sent separately.

Nice, how did you do that? I find the tire without the case is already pretty tight.
It fits snuggly and just pushed down a little. had to play with the jack but was able to find a spot where the cover would lay flat.

I think this spare looks the best too and they don't have to use special "lug nuts". They are the most expensive though. Does anyone know of a coupon code? Thanks

Also from the EVSportline site regarding the Lucid spare. I am aware this could just be propaganda so take with a grain of salt.

"We tested other spare kits and frankly we didn't like the look nor would we feel safe using their 'lug centric' wheels. Some companies make generic spare wheels and overside the hub. These wheels use the 'lug nuts' to center the wheel. The purpose of lug centering is to enable one generic wheel to fit many different vehicles. All factory wheels are 'hub centric'. The wheel centers directly on the vehicle hub and lug nuts are only used to hold the wheel tight to the hub. This is the only safe way to attached a vehicle wheel."

Also from the EVSportline site regarding the Lucid spare. I am aware this could just be propaganda so take with a grain of salt.

"We tested other spare kits and frankly we didn't like the look nor would we feel safe using their 'lug centric' wheels. Some companies make generic spare wheels and overside the hub. These wheels use the 'lug nuts' to center the wheel. The purpose of lug centering is to enable one generic wheel to fit many different vehicles. All factory wheels are 'hub centric'. The wheel centers directly on the vehicle hub and lug nuts are only used to hold the wheel tight to the hub. This is the only safe way to attached a vehicle wheel."
@scal_air . You may be confusing things. Sorry if I am repeating something you know. Decades ago, wheels were centered on the brake drum just by the wheel studs and lug nuts. Lug centric mounting. It was the careful positioning of the wheel over the studs that got the wheel centered. And the lug nuts used a tapered cone to help center it all. Hopefully. Sometimes. That is called lug centric. Now, only trailers use it. Not accurate. Not good for speed. Tend to vibrate at speed.

Almost all wheels now use a hub centric wheel positioning. There is a 60 to 70 mm metal round hub sticking out of the front and rear axle. Like a stub axle. The brake disc fits over this hub. And then the wheel fits over the hub. In the flange of the wheel, it will have a matching size hub cutout. So the cut out hole in the wheel fits closely on the car’s protruding hub. The hub centers the wheel on the car. The lug nuts only hold it on. Hub centric.

Note: after market wheels tend to have a standard large hub cut out, say 70 mm, for all their wheels. And each car can have a unique size hub of 60 or 61.4 or 64 or whatever. You use a $2 alloy adapter ring that snaps into the wheel, so the wheel hole now matches the car’s hub perfectly. For perfect centering.

So, the lug nuts do not determine the type of wheel centering. Hence, Lucid OEM lug nuts for it hub centric wheels fit the hub centric EZ Spare wheel.

I have read the stuff for EV Sportline and I thought it was scare tactics. True, all OEM wheels are hub centric. And all aftermarket wheels are also hub centric, through the use of precision adapters. The aluminum wheel on the EZ Spare is built like a high quality aftermarket full size wheel: an over size hub bore with a precision adapter ring sized to the .1 mm for perfect fit on our Lucid. 64.1 I THINK.

I THINK EVSPORTLINE is trying to scare you, implying other lesser inferior spares are not hub centric. I do not know about all spares. EZ Spare is hub centric.

All that said, it’s typical for aftermarket wheels to us slightly different lug nuts than OEM. My Lucid 14-1.5 acorn lugs will not fit on my Velux Vulcan winter wheels.

@scal_air . You may be confusing things. Sorry if I am repeating something you know. Decades ago, wheels were centered on the brake drum just by the wheel studs and lug nuts. Lug centric mounting. It was the careful positioning of the wheel over the studs that got the wheel centered. And the lug nuts used a tapered cone to help center it all. Hopefully. Sometimes. That is called lug centric. Now, only trailers use it. Not accurate. Not good for speed. Tend to vibrate at speed.

Almost all wheels now use a hub centric wheel positioning. There is a 60 to 70 mm metal round hub sticking out of the front and rear axle. Like a stub axle. The brake disc fits over this hub. And then the wheel fits over the hub. In the flange of the wheel, it will have a matching size hub cutout. So the cut out hole in the wheel fits closely on the car’s protruding hub. The hub centers the wheel on the car. The lug nuts only hold it on. Hub centric.

Note: after market wheels tend to have a standard large hub cut out, say 70 mm, for all their wheels. And each car can have a unique size hub of 60 or 61.4 or 64 or whatever. You use a $2 alloy adapter ring that snaps into the wheel, so the wheel hole now matches the car’s hub perfectly. For perfect centering.

So, the lug nuts do not determine the type of wheel centering. Hence, Lucid OEM lug nuts for it hub centric wheels fit the hub centric EZ Spare wheel.

I have read the stuff for EV Sportline and I thought it was scare tactics. True, all OEM wheels are hub centric. And all aftermarket wheels are also hub centric, through the use of precision adapters. The aluminum wheel on the EZ Spare is built like a high quality aftermarket full size wheel: an over size hub bore with a precision adapter ring sized to the .1 mm for perfect fit on our Lucid. 64.1 I THINK.

I THINK EVSPORTLINE is trying to scare you, implying other lesser inferior spares are not hub centric. I do not know about all spares. EZ Spare is hub centric.

All that said, it’s typical for aftermarket wheels to us slightly different lug nuts than OEM. My Lucid 14-1.5 acorn lugs will not fit on my Velux Vulcan winter wheels.
Very detailed explanation. Thank you.
Is the precision adapter ring already attached to the spare or is it something I should look for and put on myself?
I bought the EZ spare a long time ago and haven’t tried it on the car yet. I don’t recall seeing a ring in the package I received. There were a bunch of nuts, which, from what you wrote above, are not needed.

Very detailed explanation. Thank you.
Is the precision adapter ring already attached to the spare or is it something I should look for and put on myself?
I bought the EZ spare a long time ago and haven’t tried it on the car yet. I don’t recall seeing a ring in the package I received. There were a bunch of nuts, which, from what you wrote above, are not needed.
For EZ Spare, they supply and attach the ring to the wheel for you. BUT good teaching moment. Good stuff to learn. Always check. Easy to check. Look at the inside hub. You should see a ring about 1/4” wide inside the mouth of the hub. Put your finger inside the hub ring and you should feel that the ring is small diameter than the hub hole in wheel.

With aftermarket wheels, the rings usually come separate. Top tip: tire installers are notorious for loosing rings. They can get stuck on the balancing machine spindle.

Rings used to always made of aluminum. But with mag chloride salt treat on the roads, the aluminum rings would galvanically fuse to the steel hub. And come off, pull off, stay on the hub. Not good. My new winter wheels came with a HD plastic ring. Gorilla, a huge aftermarket wheel part supplier uses now special plastic exclusively. On SCCA tire crews, we were required to put a smidgen of white lithium grease on the ring surface that mated to the hub. I still do it religiously.

I think this spare looks the best too and they don't have to use special "lug nuts". They are the most expensive though. Does anyone know of a coupon code? Thanks
No special coupon code but gave me free shipping. Just bought one today. All I'm looking for is a spare that that fits with ease with a minimum of anxiety.

Back