Recommendations for 19" Winter Tires: Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Vredestein

Have used both brands (at different times) on Volvo R wagons.
Concur on the Alpins. Used them to go skiing several seasons with no issues. They are nice.
Blizzacks are excellent hard-core snow tires (good for ice)...likely more than most people need. You give up some performance but after all = snow tires.
Vredesteins have a rep as being outstanding dedicated winter tires (but not suitable for the R wagons).

Bobby, I could not find your bit on load ratings, but want to mention that I understand it's more than just the mass of the vehicle that is our concern, it's also how fast you are going to go (which is why I never tried them on the R)
= if you're on the Autobahn, you're going to need a higher load rating.
Our Lucid qualifies on both counts, so we are looking for the highest possible load rating. Do I have this right?

In my experience most A/S tires can handle just snow.

Good. Glad to hear it. This car is a torque monster. I've gotten myself sideways on the Zero A/S on dry pavement just pulling out of the neighborhood...this May (t-shirt temps). The recovery was excellent but had that been snow....I'd be in the ditch. I thought I was a better pilot than that, but I'm constantly underestimating this car. Note: I have never been out of "Smooth" mode (5500 mi). I don't need any more torque, thanks. I bought this car for the range.

You just have to do sprint mode, just once!!
This week, I have a bunch of family in town and I took them for a ride and also let them punch it in sprint. It’s always the same reaction, always. Yells and screams and holy cows and oh my gods. That plus the transient nausea .

looks like both of mine fell off on the way home from Meeting ... cloudburst left some pretty big puddles... doesn't take much to make them come off.... get down on your belly and look in front of the front wheels....maybe yours are already gone?
View attachment 13462View attachment 13463
Be careful going over speed bumps, hitting potholes, and driving off-road. No way these things are going to stay on in snow. As I said: California / Arizona car engineered for pooltable- flat roads: no clue about driving in snow. Perhaps take them off now and keep them in the funk
Thanks. I shall look when I return home. Have not noticed them before.

You just have to do sprint mode, just once!!
This week, I have a bunch of family in town and I took them for a ride and also let them punch it in sprint. It’s always the same reaction, always. Yells and screams and holy cows and oh my gods. That plus the transient nausea .
Well, that does sound like fun. Maybe someday, but I've become a wimp in my dotage. I sold the E63s wagon (every option, carbon brakes and all) having never used the paddle shifters or tried launch mode...in fact, I never put it in the AMG track mode...didn't need to.
The E63s wagon is incredible...does everything well, but I've become an EV evangelical...so much so we are considering moving downtown and giving up cars altogether...for SEPTA. No place to plug-in at the downtown condos.

Just when I find my dream car...

Good. Glad to hear it. This car is a torque monster. I've gotten myself sideways on the Zero A/S on dry pavement just pulling out of the neighborhood...this May (t-shirt temps). The recovery was excellent but had that been snow....I'd be in the ditch. I thought I was a better pilot than that, but I'm constantly underestimating this car. Note: I have never been out of "Smooth" mode (5500 mi). I don't need any more torque, thanks. I bought this car for the range.

I’ve only ever had the car spin like that on me once, but I was in Sprint and flying onto an on ramp at 3am at speeds I won’t admit to. :)

It recovered perfectly fine but definitely made my heart skip a beat for a second.

Well, that does sound like fun. Maybe someday, but I've become a wimp in my dotage. I sold the E63s wagon (every option, carbon brakes and all) having never used the paddle shifters or tried launch mode...in fact, I never put it in the AMG track mode...didn't need to.
The E63s wagon is incredible...does everything well, but I've become an EV evangelical...so much so we are considering moving downtown and giving up cars altogether...for SEPTA. No place to plug-in at the downtown condos.

Just when I find my dream car...

I’m a wimp too, and I actually get a bit nervous because its such a weird sensation.
Glad you have become an EV evangelical. I have also, some of my friends and family think I’m nuts.

Bobby, I believe the Lucid tires carry an HL loading rating. This is slightly higher than XL at a given tire pressure. I think your FAQ still quotes XL.
That is not correct. Only the 21" Pirelli OEM tire is HL rated. The 19" Pirelli A/S and 20" Michi OEM Lucid tires are XL rated.

That is not correct. Only the 21" Pirelli OEM tire is HL rated. The 19" Pirelli A/S and 20" Michi OEM Lucid tires are XL rated.
I shall update the FAQ as needed.

Follow up. I now have 2k on my 19" Michelin Pilot Alpin 5s, several 4" snow storms and 15- 20 degrees. Went to 19" with Velox wheels. 50psi. They hande the Lucid well. Softer ride than the 21"s, but car drives well at 85 on cold dry pavement. They are clearly a performance tire. Even better ride/handling than my Audi Blizzaks. Very pleased with the purchase.

Attachments

• 17016298519697447258663321458362.jpg
    17016298519697447258663321458362.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
I've had the Lucid Pirelli winter tire setup for hard winters of MN. If I had to do over I would for sure do the Nokian EV winter tire.

Back