EVs … cruise control vs Manhattan taxi effect

Bbq9

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
So this is not specifically a lucid question, but more about being new to EVs

I’ve now been driving the AGT for 2 days (220 miles avg 4.0miles/kWh ) … and I’ve begun playing with using ACC. I use cruise control in both our other cars but neither have the massive regen when you disengage cruise control.

Somebody moves into the gap or I simply turn it off seeing the traffic ahead … resulting in a massive brake effect (and I assume brake lights) flinging the passengers forward before I’ve adjusted the accelerator to the right point where upon all the passengers are flung backwards.

Is there a better way? Or so I just need to get way better / quicker at bringing the acc up to match

With high regen it feels like I’m trying to match speeds in space … without a speedometer

Any coaching would be appreciated (by my passengers)

Meanwhile I’m putting a deposit on a Manhattan taxi medallion.

Thanks

Somebody moves into the gap or I simply turn it off seeing the traffic ahead … resulting in a massive brake effect (and I assume brake lights) flinging the passengers forward before I’ve adjusted the accelerator to the right point where upon all the passengers are flung backwards.
I don't know if this will help you, but I have stopped turning off ACC using the X on the steering wheel. What I do is barely tap on the brake - it's a very subtle tap, but it disengages ACC and also leaves it armed so I can turn it on again by just pushing the left steering control up. After tapping the brake, I immediate press slightly on the accelerator to keep the vehicle speed or to begin slowing down using one pedal driving.

This is handy, especially when approaching stopped* traffic at high speed. Lucid, currently, has a crappy implementation of ACC and does not detect stopped vehicles most of the time (I don't know if they are really using the LIDAR yet, but if they are, it's not a good implementation). The car will just plow into stopped traffic and warn you to engage the brake, so before it does that, tap a bit on the brake to disable ACC and use the accelerator to modulate the regen braking to come to a complete stop. This "plowing" behavior is more noticeable if aprocharing stopped traffic when going over 30mph. The car also has problems when approaching stopped traffic around a corner, where the traffic is clearly visible: it does not predict the turning trajectory correctly.

* If traffic is moving, even just slightly, it has managed to stop on its own most of the time.

Don't have my AGT yet. But in our other two EVs with strong regeneration, I just apply some pressure to the accelerator pedal before switching off TACC. You'll know when you pressed it far enough if the car accelerates slightly.

Don't have my AGT yet. But in our other two EVs with strong regeneration, I just apply some pressure to the accelerator pedal before switching off TACC. You'll know when you pressed it far enough if the car accelerates slightly.
This works too, but in the Lucid has the disadvantage of disabling TACC, which means you need to press another button to enable it and another switch action to set the speed. It's best to tap the brake slightly, as I described above - you have a little bit of time to reapply the accelerator before the aggressive regen kicks in.

This works too, but in the Lucid has the disadvantage of disabling TACC, which means you need to press another button to enable it and another switch action to set the speed. It's best to tap the brake slightly, as I described above - you have a little bit of time to reapply the accelerator before the aggressive regen kicks in.
I think some of it is just getting used to regen that is more aggressive that a petrol engine.

I’ll play with both to see which feels more natural.
I think touching the brake if you are really slowing is good idea

However, last night I found myself in a situation where the car in front and I were both exiting, they then took the first filter and I continued to the second.
we had slowed (using ACC) down to about 50 to exit (WTF!!) and as soon as they moved out of line of sight we accelerated rapidly towards the hairpin exit. caught me by surprise, so I then applied the brake rather hard at which my daughter asked if she could walk (HA)

maybe I need to spend longer on std regen…

Thanks for the ideas

I think some of it is just getting used to regen that is more aggressive that a petrol engine.

I’ll play with both to see which feels more natural.
I think touching the brake if you are really slowing is good idea

However, last night I found myself in a situation where the car in front and I were both exiting, they then took the first filter and I continued to the second.
we had slowed (using ACC) down to about 50 to exit (WTF!!) and as soon as they moved out of line of sight we accelerated rapidly towards the hairpin exit. caught me by surprise, so I then applied the brake rather hard at which my daughter asked if she could walk (HA)

maybe I need to spend longer on std regen…

Thanks for the ideas
I am also new to EVs and regenerative braking. Canceling the cruise control took a handful of times to make it smooth. I have used both the "X" cancel and the braking method recommended by @Alex. Both work if you get your foot on the accelerator quick enough and at the right pressure. It feels much different than an ICE car for sure. But doing it a handful of times and it will become smooth.

I suggest keeping the car in high regen, it is easier to learn because the car is much more responsive to accelerator changes. It does not take long to get used to smoothly stopping with high regen.

I am also new to EVs and regenerative braking. Canceling the cruise control took a handful of times to make it smooth. I have used both the "X" cancel and the braking method recommended by @Alex. Both work if you get your foot on the accelerator quick enough and at the right pressure. It feels much different than an ICE car for sure. But doing it a handful of times and it will become smooth.

I suggest keeping the car in high regen, it is easier to learn because the car is much more responsive to accelerator changes. It does not take long to get used to smoothly stopping with high regen.
a concern - coming from stick shift - I can cancel the cruise control and engine braking kicks in - without flashing my brake lights and causing panic behind me.
of course EV regen is way more than a gentle engine braking (depending which gear you downshift to)

I like high regen - I guess I need a neon sign saying ”sorry new to regen :)
one to play with

I don't know if this will help you, but I have stopped turning off ACC using the X on the steering wheel. What I do is barely tap on the brake - it's a very subtle tap, but it disengages ACC and also leaves it armed so I can turn it on again by just pushing the left steering control up. After tapping the brake, I immediate press slightly on the accelerator to keep the vehicle speed or to begin slowing down using one pedal driving.

This is handy, especially when approaching stopped* traffic at high speed. Lucid, currently, has a crappy implementation of ACC and does not detect stopped vehicles most of the time (I don't know if they are really using the LIDAR yet, but if they are, it's not a good implementation). The car will just plow into stopped traffic and warn you to engage the brake, so before it does that, tap a bit on the brake to disable ACC and use the accelerator to modulate the regen braking to come to a complete stop. This "plowing" behavior is more noticeable if aprocharing stopped traffic when going over 30mph. The car also has problems when approaching stopped traffic around a corner, where the traffic is clearly visible: it does not predict the turning trajectory correctly.

* If traffic is moving, even just slightly, it has managed to stop on its own most of the time.

I’ve set the brake warning to early, and that has helped - it is now only wrong like 5% of the time, and nearly always stops on its own, even with stopped traffic.

I’ve now been driving the AGT for 2 days (220 miles avg 4.0miles/kWh ) … and I’ve begun playing with using ACC. I use cruise control in both our other cars but neither have the massive regen when you disengage cruise control.

Is there a better way? Or so I just need to get way better / quicker at bringing the acc up to match

With high regen it feels like I’m trying to match speeds in space … without a speedometer

Thanks
Are you on 19" wheels? I cannot come close to that on 21" wheels.

Thanks
I don’t have my AGT yet, but having several EVs over the years, I have always found that setting the regen to a level that most closely matches how I want the vehicle to slow down when I come to a stop by just letting off the accelerator seems to give the best energy efficiency results. For me this has generally been the lowest or medium level regen setting. Not to get too far down into the weeds, but if you think about it, setting the regen too high results in dumping your speed too fast, less time in regen mode, and having to spend energy to accelerate again when you could just be coasting in regen mode the whole time. Additionally, it makes driving more relaxing since I don’t have to find the sweet spot between not slowing down too much and maintaining speed when going down hills or coming to a stop, I just let off the accelerator. The only times I use high regen mode is in stop and go traffic, it that situation it works great.

Last edited:

Thanks

Adaptive cruise control is not supposed to work that way. When I turn off ACC on my BMW 530e, if my foot is off the accelerator, i gently slow down.

Wow. To me, that is a major flaw. I use ACC all the time on my BMW PHEV and it works perfectly. Lucid needs to get this right.

Adaptive cruise control is not supposed to work that way. When I turn off ACC on my BMW 530e, if my foot is off the accelerator, i gently slow down.

Wow. To me, that is a major flaw. I use ACC all the time on my BMW PHEV and it works perfectly. Lucid needs to get this right.
I think the ACC works exactly like it's suppose to. Since when are we engaging ACC coming up on stopped vehicles?

I think the ACC works exactly like it's suppose to. Since when are we engaging ACC coming up on stopped vehicles?
I'd agree with this.

ACC is supposed to speed up and down on upcoming cars. If you disengage it when switching lanes or to adjust speed, it will switch back to traditional driving, which has significant regen. The proper way to adjust speed is to just use the knob to adjust it, or if you want full control while swapping lanes, use the brake and then control the regen and speed.

(The above said: There maybe should be a much less aggressive regen mode for folks new to EV that will have challenges here)

The Lucid ACC has at least two bugs that I have found that my other cars handle correctly, I reported the same issue that Alex mentioned in his post that when the ACC is on, and you approach a line of stopped traffic that the ACC does not slow down. The second issue that I reported is that when cars move in and out of the lane in front of you the ACC can surge then slam on the brakes. This has never happened with my GM, Ford or Mercedes vehicles with ACC.

The Lucid ACC has at least two bugs that I have found that my other cars handle correctly, I reported the same issue that Alex mentioned in his post that when the ACC is on, and you approach a line of stopped traffic that the ACC does not slow down. The second issue that I reported is that when cars move in and out of the lane in front of you the ACC can surge then slam on the brakes. This has never happened with my GM, Ford or Mercedes vehicles with ACC.
I use ACC in my other cars, I have never had an ACC that handles stopped cars well, because the radar doesn't extend that far for ACC? I'm not entirely sure how it works specifically. The surging and slamming on brakes I've found in other vehicles, but I've found that if you put the ACC into the 4 box comfort zone as opposed to 1 or 2 it's MUCH MUCH smoother and will pick stuff up faster (obviously because the follow distance is further)

I use ACC in my other cars, I have never had an ACC that handles stopped cars well, because the radar doesn't extend that far for ACC? I'm not entirely sure how it works specifically. The surging and slamming on brakes I've found in other vehicles, but I've found that if you put the ACC into the 4 box comfort zone as opposed to 1 or 2 it's MUCH MUCH smoother and will pick stuff up faster (obviously because the follow distance is further)
I have a four-year-old Lincoln Navigator and the ACC works perfectly and does not have radar or lidar. The ACC, like the rest of the software on the DE, is still beta quality. IMHO. If Lucid can't get ACC to work, how are they going to make self-driving work??

Luicd's ACC works better for me than my other cars. It seems to recognize cars at a greater distance and is not overly agressive in slowing down when someone pulls into my lane in front of me. It is able to quickly determine if the distance to the car in front is increassing or decreasing and adjust according. It is also not overly aggressive in accelerating when the lane opens up in front.

Luicd's ACC works better for me than my other cars. It seems to recognize cars at a greater distance and is not overly aggressive in slowing down when someone pulls into my lane in front of me. It is able to quickly determine if the distance to the car in front is increasing or decreasing and adjust according. It is also not overly aggressive in accelerating when the lane opens up in front.
That point there hits my pain point I've had with all my other ACCs in the Tesla and previously Mazda also. Too aggressive in speeding up and abrupt / late in slowing down. All this knowing that there's more stop and go traffic ahead, and not an "open road" per se

Back