• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

EV prices are going up!

otslade

Cars
DE-R White '21 MS Plaid
After reading this article, its easy to see that EV pricing is going to climb quick! For those that have an EV now or an order in, this is great news.

The bad news for owners of EV’s is that if companies cannot sell new EV’s due to huge price increases they may go broke leaving you with a car that no longer has a company behind it. Welcome to owning the new Delorean.

Not too worried about it, Lucid has enough IP that someone will want to buy them out! Between the motor and the battery pack and the electrical architecture...it's a multi-year head start or improvement on what legacy automakers are using right now or in the near future

The bad news for owners of EV’s is that if companies cannot sell new EV’s due to huge price increases they may go broke leaving you with a car that no longer has a company behind it. Welcome to owning the new Delorean.

My friend just paid $78K for a Rubicon, a well $10K markup above MSRP. Another was luckier, only paid $5K for his marked-up Rav4 hybrid.

No one in Socal even complains about the $6/gal gas price anymore - they simply accept it, and people still pay a huge markup for large trucks & SUVs.

If anything, EVs help to shield people from future gas price increases...

To worry about EV can't sell due to price increases is just like thinking no one will buy houses anymore because prices have increased so much. Many thought so in the last few years and are still renting, or worse, sharing a room.

Taking delivery of an AMG EQS next week. Mercedes raised the price $5,000 on 4/1 and it was NOT and April Fool's joke!

Taking delivery of an AMG EQS next week. Mercedes raised the price $5,000 on 4/1 and it was NOT and April Fool's joke!
Ooh, so you get to directly compare the two. Please give us a writeup!

Ooh, so you get to directly compare the two. Please give us a writeup!
I have driven the Mercedes EQS 450 and 580 plus the BMW iX. I expect the AMG EQS to be a little faster than the 580.

I like the BMW iX the best.

What I dislike about the Lucid DE, these cars do better, BUT the DE is faster, has longer range and in most cases charges faster.

The AMG EQS will be my wife's car but I will report on the daily driving experience once we get it and have some miles on it.

After reading this article, its easy to see that EV pricing is going to climb quick! For those that have an EV now or an order in, this is great news.

I had early reservations on a Lucid Air and and Rivian R1S SUV, planning to take only the one that got delivered first. For a while it seemed that the Rivian was going to come first, but I've now had my Air for three months and am still waiting to get the first call from my Rivian delivery advisor.

Something told me not to be in a hurry to cancel the Rivian reservation. Now, with an interesting scenario opening up, I'm glad I kept the reservation. The configuration I reserved recently saw a price hike to $92,750. After a rebellion broke out among Rivian reservation holders, many of whom started cancelling their reservations, Rivian has decided to honor something closer to the original price for early reservation holders. So I can get the same SUV for $78,000 for which a new buyer would have to pay almost $15,000 more.

The Rivian is getting very strong reviews, and now that I can get one at a steeply discounted price in this inflationary environment, I think I'm going to proceed with the purchase and replace our Honda Odyssey without waiting to see what Lucid does with the Gravity. If I like the Gravity better in a couple of years, I have a feeling I'll do very well on the Rivian resale.

Last edited:

Tesla, with a stated mission of putting EVs in the hands of the masses, now sells its cheapest car for ~ $47,000. And they can't build them fast enough.

At least with the Air, Lucid has been aiming from the get-go at a segment of the market less sensitive to inflationary pressures than mass manufacturers. I have a feeling that Lucid will fare well enough.

The DeLorean was plagued with poor build quality, subpar driving dynamics, and miserable ergonomics -- even for that bleak era of automotive history. Whatever Lucid's fate, it won't be that of DeLorean.

I had early reservations on a Lucid Air and and Rivian R1S SUV, planning to take only the one that got delivered first. For a while it seemed that the Rivian was going to come first, but I've now had my Air for three months and am still waiting to get the first call from my Rivian delivery advisor.

Something told me not to be in a hurry to cancel the Rivian reservation. Now, with an interesting scenario opening up, I'm glad I kept the reservation. The configuration I reserved recently saw a price hike to $92,750. After a rebellion broke out among Rivian reservation holders, many of whom started cancelling their reservations, Rivian has decided to honor something closer to the original price for early reservation holders. So I can get the same SUV for $78,000 for which a new buyer would have to pay almost $15,000 more.

The Rivian is getting very strong reviews, and now that I can get one at a steeply discounted price in this inflationary environment, I think I'm going to proceed with the purchase and replace our Honda Odyssey without waiting to see what Lucid does with the Gravity. If I like the Gravity better in a couple of years, I have a feeling I'll do very well on the Rivian resale.
Yeah, that's what i'm telling my friends who have reservations, hold on to it and make a buck if you want to get rid of it. I think Rivian is a hot mess at the moment. The latest SEC filing was basically pleading with investors that they're a growth stock and won't make a profit anytime in the near future if at all. It sounds like they've got serious supply chain constraints and with the price hike backfiring they're going to hemorrhage alot of cash. Even Sandy Munro said he doesn't know how Rivian offered what it did for the price and it should be a $100K car so it seems they may have backed themselves into a corner to get reservations.

Everything it outsourced down to the motors etc. so at this stage of the game, I think Lucid is in a better position as they took the Tesla approach with vertical integration. Rivian is going to be beholden to its suppliers for everything and if they can't deliver it will just impact their delivery targets even more. Sometimes going big and running out the gates isn't the best approach.

I was one of the people who cancelled my R1S reservation. Then Rivian sent an email offering to reinstate the reservation. This was after I received my deposit back. I clicked on the email and it immediately brought me to a page saying my reservation would be restored. And Rivian hasn't asked for the deposit back. Seems a little desperate.

Yeah, that's what i'm telling my friends who have reservations, hold on to it and make a buck if you want to get rid of it. I think Rivian is a hot mess at the moment. The latest SEC filing was basically pleading with investors that they're a growth stock and won't make a profit anytime in the near future if at all. It sounds like they've got serious supply chain constraints and with the price hike backfiring they're going to hemorrhage alot of cash. Even Sandy Munro said he doesn't know how Rivian offered what it did for the price and it should be a $100K car so it seems they may have backed themselves into a corner to get reservations.

Everything it outsourced down to the motors etc. so at this stage of the game, I think Lucid is in a better position as they took the Tesla approach with vertical integration. Rivian is going to be beholden to its suppliers for everything and if they can't deliver it will just impact their delivery targets even more. Sometimes going big and running out the gates isn't the best approach.

Did you ultimately cancel your Lucid reservation?

I was one of the people who cancelled my R1S reservation. Then Rivian sent an email offering to reinstate the reservation. This was after I received my deposit back. I clicked on the email and it immediately brought me to a page saying my reservation would be restored. And Rivian hasn't asked for the deposit back. Seems a little desperate.

I think they did get a little desperate. I haven't seen any official figures on how many reservations got cancelled, but the eruption on the Rivian forum was like nothing I have seen, and the straw poll someone on the forum set up showed most reservation holders either planning to cancel or no longer sure they would proceed with the purchase.

I assume you reinstated your reservation? I kept my reservation but remained on the fence until I caught up on some of the reviews that had been coming out on the R1T. The thing that tipped me into the firm purchase camp was the Sandy Munro review. He bought an R1T to tear down in order to issue an engineering report, but once he got the truck and spent some time with it, he could not bring himself to tear it down and instead decided to keep it as a personal vehicle for him and his wife, who also loved it.

Did you ultimately cancel your Lucid reservation?
Credit where credit is due, I received a call from a VP at Lucid on Friday afternoon to go over the situation and ultimately decided to keep my order. As noted in this forum, they're aware of communication issues and are working on them to get them resolved but he did give me more accurate information as to where the car was in the line etc. I'm not sure if the DA's have this level of access or they're not just sharing but if they do my frustrations could've been avoided if the DA just told me what was going on. Needless to say, i've been assigned a new DA.

But the real question with respect to your situation now is, "are the DA's telling their other customers what the VP told you?" Do you now know more than the rest of us with respect to our own prospects for getting a vehicle in the near future?

Either way, it appears there is a real problem. If the DA's do not have this level of access, do we all need to go and threaten to cancel our order to get such information? If they do have this level of information, then why do they not share it? Or maybe we already have this information in some form or another, in which case our respective DA's have done all we can expect of them and your DA change was more than warranted.. Do you mind letting us know what he told you that convinced you not to cancel at this time?

The only reason I would want to know is if it is new information or if it is contrary to what I have been told with respect when I might expect to take the next step in this process.

I honestly think that the vast majority of their customers would not need this level of detail regarding the status of their cars. I think that there are very few customers who won't take the typical corporate explanations and will need more in depth information.

Less is more blah blah

I honestly think that the vast majority of their customers would not need this level of detail regarding the status of their cars. I think that there are very few customers who won't take the typical corporate explanations and will need more in depth information.

Less is more blah blah
I think it’s important to note that as a publicly traded company, they have to manage the intel on production. Investors take cues from this info on forums about deliveries and hold ups etc. I don’t blame them for trying to protect their asset! It’s a balancing act

But the real question with respect to your situation now is, "are the DA's telling their other customers what the VP told you?" Do you now know more than the rest of us with respect to our own prospects for getting a vehicle in the near future?

Either way, it appears there is a real problem. If the DA's do not have this level of access, do we all need to go and threaten to cancel our order to get such information? If they do have this level of information, then why do they not share it? Or maybe we already have this information in some form or another, in which case our respective DA's have done all we can expect of them and your DA change was more than warranted.. Do you mind letting us know what he told you that convinced you not to cancel at this time?

The only reason I would want to know is if it is new information or if it is contrary to what I have been told with respect when I might expect to take the next step in this process.
My issue was I was given a date to expect the VIN. That date came and went and I was told I misheard. So I called "bullsh*t" and said I don't trust any of the information anymore.. When I was contacted he mentioned that he didn't understand why the DA couldn't tell me the info which leads me to believe he had the access but I could be wrong.

In my scenario the VIN was supposed to come last week so I heard correctly but for some reason there was a delay and even the VP wasn't sure why. I'm not an unreasonable person and issues like this are expected to happen but the DA should've just told me the VIN was due and something is holding it up rather than tell me I misheard wrong. Hence why I've been given a new DA. Maybe he feared I was going to rip his head off or something and didn't want to tell me but again, sh*t happens. I just got it in my head that he made all the timelines up and we were weeks out and not days so the whole issue could've been avoided if I was just told "hey, it was due yesterday, something held it up and should be due in a few days but i'll reach out when I hear more".

So to me, it seems more of an issue with my DA than Lucid entirely.

Yea, I would have taken issue to that as well. Sounds similar to when some of us were told that color would not make a difference in when you get your car. When I brought that up a few conversations ago, I could tell they were hedging and trying to make me think I had not heard that. My DA, a couple of calls ago, still tried to tell me that deliveries were based on order date. Let's just say I do not think he will try to pull that one again.

I have also gotten the feeling that, at least my DA, would much rather have a phone conversation than put something in writing in an email. Kinda hard to claim that I misheard an e-mail.;)

Kind of makes you wonder why they have DA’s at all. Keeping customers in the dark is not a good business model.

Back