EA Problems

Today we tried 4 EA chargers in Goleta, CA Market Place. One had broken cables, one had a linux boot screen, two did not work.

Drove in to Santa Barbara and charged at 150kw EA in the BofA parking lot, worked straight away.
How weird. Goleta is where I had all my problems a month ago!!

I’m really, really bummed for you. I was planning on using my GT Air’s long legs by going on long road trips. Now, I’m not so sure. I’m wondering whether I should just go back to road tripping in one of my Teslas. I’ll have to stop and charge every 180 to 190 miles but at least I can count on superchargers being always available and always operational.

“Zero planning” is what we should be able to do, if EA’s charging network were a patch on Tesla’s superchargers.

Discouraging report indeed. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this.
Thanks. Ironic that my first real challenges on a road trip were not out west where I was hundreds of miles from any level 3 chargers or sometimes any EV chargers at all, but on the 85/95 corridor where there are lots. 😂. I’m hoping this is not reoccurring. Honestly I don’t know why Lucid did not just work it out with EA for Lucid owners to use the EA app for charging at EA stations. Eliminate the finger pointing.

Did you call them again to disable it?
Spending the weekend in DC with my daughter and son in law. I have a charging plan to get home without EA. I’m going to enjoy the weekend and try and resolve at the EA station closest to my house next week.

EA will no longer charge my Lucid either.
The car charged fine on the other level 3 and on level 2. The more I think about, the more I think Lucid just added complexity by not using EA app for EA charging. Same as they added complexity by spending a lot of time on Nav that took me to an unusable charging location. Get CarPlay and Android auto working. Lots of effort spent on things that are readily available. EA app, plug share, ChargePoint, EVgo….. Apple Maps, Google maps, So much more functionality if effort had been directed elsewhere. I’m not buying the waiting on Apple bullshit story.

The car charged fine on the other level 3 and on level 2. The more I think about, the more I think Lucid just added complexity by not using EA app for EA charging. Same as they added complexity by spending a lot of time on Nav that took me to an unusable charging location. Get CarPlay and Android auto working. Lots of effort spent on things that are readily available. EA app, plug share, ChargePoint, EVgo….. Apple Maps, Google maps, So much more functionality if effort had been directed elsewhere. I’m not buying the waiting on Apple bullshit story.
I think the Apple issue is real, other auto makers had to wait years when they first tried to implement CarPlay, Polestar took 2 years? I had very similar EA problems to you though (still happening on software 2.0.12). I have a road trip planned in a few weeks so I’ve got EVGo as a backup. Sign up for them and get their RFID card. The EVGo app is inconsistent but the card works every time and they have up to 350kw chargers too. They’ve been 100% reliable for me, I’d say first time success rate with EA meanwhile is 20% or less. The problem must be the combo of Lucid and EA since the Lucid charges fine on other DCFC.

It is kind of a mixed bag right now. I pulled into my local EA station and sure enough the first station said "Payment Declined" so I moved up to the second one right next to it and it worked just fine. Go figure but appears to be an EA problem.
Given that other EVs charge reliably at EA, Chargepoint, etc, and Lucid cars do not, I think that Lucid needs to own the problem even if Lucid's implementation of the spec/protocol is technically correct. Software which nterfaces with third-party systems should be written to be maximally forgiving.

I'm about to find out if it works today... Car only has 80 miles in battery, and need to drive 180, so... here's to hoping you guys are wrong (though I am pretty sure you're not)

I'm about to find out if it works today... Car only has 80 miles in battery, and need to drive 180, so... here's to hoping you guys are wrong (though I am pretty sure you're not)
Whip out Plugshare and carefully evaluate your options before getting in the car. Or find a friend with a J1772 charging setup at home.

I agree that the EA charging right now is a problem, but it is not stopping me from enjoying my car. We just completed a 3 week, 6,500 mile trip from Boston to Yellowstone National Park and back. We visited about 25 EA chargers on the trip, and only one didn't work for us. We had one other that was problematic, but switching dispensers at that station solved it. About half of the stations we visited were the newer style with the four dispensers in a line in front of four parking spaces, and about half was the older configuration of pairs of dispensers on islands between two spaces. Both places we had problems had the older configuration.

One thing we learned on the trip was to second-guess all of the navigation advice. We chose routes where we would arrive at a charger with at least 100 miles of range left, just in case. We always used PlugShare to see if others were able to use a charger before we planned a stop there. We assumed we would have worse efficiency than the navigation programs predicted, just to be sure we would be able to make it. We may have spent more time charging this way than we needed to, but we avoided most range anxiety.

...We visited about 25 EA chargers on the trip, and only one didn't work for us. We had one other that was problematic, but switching dispensers at that station solved it....
Interesting data point. Maybe this is why there isn't any apparent action or comment from Lucid. If you'd had an EA charging experience similar to mine, you might have chosen to turn around after the first stop.

I also had issues charging starting last week. I don't know if it is the same issue but after calling EA, the rep found a knowledge article saying that I have to open the Lucid app on my phone and click the EA button for the charging to start. I never had to do that before but after clicking that in the app, charging works. I have to click that every time now.

As in
I also had issues charging starting last week. I don't know if it is the same issue but after calling EA, the rep found a knowledge article saying that I have to open the Lucid app on my phone and click the EA button for the charging to start. I never had to do that before but after clicking that in the app, charging works. I have to click that every time now.
As I noted in another thread, this is the way I’ve always had to do it. Only had the car a couple of weeks.

Someone said something changed recently that changed this backup option to now be the primary option.

I’ve successfully done this process at 3 different stations now. At one station, multiple times across multiple different charges.

If they did change something, they need to communicate this to their DA’s. No one went over the app and EA popping up on the app. The DA’s told me the plug it in and I’m good. I found the instructions for this new process on this forum.

I’ve liked your other posts in general, but this is entirely unfounded. That is literally the case, whether you “buy it” or not.
They have indicated for years they would have Carplay. CarPlay is already active on the car according to web site as well as other functionality that is still “coming” It’s on Lucid, not Apple.

They have indicated for years they would have Carplay. CarPlay is already active on the car according to web site as well as other functionality that is still “coming” It’s on Lucid, not Apple.
You’re incorrect. CarPlay is presently going through the Apple approval process. The cars, under the hood, actually already have it on there, but it is “feature flagged” as off.

It isn’t uncommon to need to go through multiple rounds of approval with Apple, and unfortunately each time you start at the beginning of the line and it can be very unpredictable. I have written other posts with references to developers lamenting the process.

So, to say “it isn’t on Apple, but on Lucid” is, in this case, inaccurate. It is waiting on Apple to approve the implementation, and that is an *even more* opaque process than any comms issues Lucid has had.

It has benefits, too, like ensuring every implementation works well and looks good, but these are the cons.

I always have the lucid app open when at EA. The problem is at some chargers, you don't get the EA button, the lucid app just tells you to unplug and try again. I've also had the lucid app display the EA button, you choose which charger you are connected to and it fails so no guarantee of success. Just like you don't know for sure if the chargers are working even though the EA app shows them as available, you don't know from EA to EA site if the car will charge (at least for some of us).

I see the only advantage to using the EA network is that it is 'free' for a certain amount of time. I'm just curious, how much does it cost to go from, say, 10% to 70% at a ChargePoint level 3?

Back