EA Megathread

I had posted this in another thread. I have always pressed the "Continue" button.

On a related note, I tried charging today at the same EA location I had used multiple times before (even the same charger itself) and today I had to initiate charging from within the Lucid app. There was a message on the EA screen that said something about "initiating charge from app". The only difference I can think of is that I now have version 2.0.25. Or, the EA charger firmware was updated.
I didn't update through my entire trip, staying on 2.0.25, and plug and play worked everywhere except for my final charger in my home town SLC.
But otherwise I had 100% EA charger success rate. Couldn't be happier with my road trip, also was driving in the middle of a blizzard where visibility was below 20 feet, and it was 15 F outside.

One more note, ran into a family of deer and the car did an excellent job alerting me and stopping, I decided to press on the accelerator and drive around them because I didn't want to be standing still in the middle of the road
Downhill to slc? Hope to see the summary of your trip. Hope one of the savvy guys who did the delivery trackers comes up with a way to track long distance drives so that we can see them on a map before we plan the same segment. I will try to maintain a log of a few trips in a spreadsheet once I get my car.
I am writing a review that I will post soon, my wife accidentally clicked the reset button this morning, but I was around 3.2 for my total road trip going at 70-90 the whole time. (I believe I posted screenshots somewhere in this thread or the range thread a few days ago during my trip)
For a quick summary:
I started in Washington DC, then went through...
Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, then finally Utah
And I had 0 range anxiety, and was skipping 1 to 2 chargers at a time

EA has been working for me for 150kW, but never 350kW which make me wonder 350kW are just fake stalls.

EA has been working for me for 150kW, but never 350kW which make me wonder 350kW are just fake stalls.
No, the 350 have 2 175kwh hardware inside. If they get out of sync then it'll max out at 175.

The new units are all power share. The only way you will get near 350 is if you are the only car charging. Just a FYI!
That totally explains it. This site had been out of commission for weeks (yay EA for getting it up and running on the last day of a holiday weekend when everyone was traveling!), so it was FULL on its first day back, including two Teslas who came there cuz the nearby supercharger was also full. They both complemented the Air GT.

I didn't update through my entire trip, staying on 2.0.25, and plug and play worked everywhere except for my final charger in my home town SLC.
But otherwise I had 100% EA charger success rate. Couldn't be happier with my road trip, also was driving in the middle of a blizzard where visibility was below 20 feet, and it was 15 F outside.

One more note, ran into a family of deer and the car did an excellent job alerting me and stopping, I decided to press on the accelerator and drive around them because I didn't want to be standing still in the middle of the road

I am writing a review that I will post soon, my wife accidentally clicked the reset button this morning, but I was around 3.2 for my total road trip going at 70-90 the whole time. (I believe I posted screenshots somewhere in this thread or the range thread a few days ago during my trip)
For a quick summary:
I started in Washington DC, then went through...
Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, then finally Utah
And I had 0 range anxiety, and was skipping 1 to 2 chargers at a time
Yeah on my 800 mile road trip I just finished in sleet/heavy rain for half of it I got 3.0 mi/kwh but that was partly due to my tires being a couple PSI lower than they should have been cold and I didn't want to get out in the heavy freezing rain to inflate. I was on 2.0.28 software and the only issue I had was the lower screen navigation froze but the upper screen worked, and this was fixed by ending and restarting the route. Otherwise everything on the car worked 100% the entire time.

No, the 350 have 2 175kwh hardware inside. If they get out of sync then it'll max out at 175.
Yeah, I know each 150kWh is actually 175kWh. What I mean is I found 350kWh in 4 stations, but never able to connect to my car either connection has failed or the stall is unavailable (down).

I’m good with 150kW. Couple years ago, I was using 75kWh and 125kWh at Tesla Supercharging station with long lines. Now I see Tesla has been adding many stations of 250kW along Texas highway in anticipation of their Gigafactory ramped up sale here. I hope EA, EVGo and ChargePoint can also ramp up stations to keep up with non-Tesla demand.

If it's not an issue with EA chargers not working then you have Rivian drivers destroying them 😂

1670358778904.png

It’s next to near impossible to get the charging speeds Lucid advertises. Just pulled back into the new EA station at Kettleman City. Pre conditioned the battery and pulled in with just shy of 10% and still maxed out at 274Kw and went down pretty quickly. At 38% I was on 164Kw…….

EBA8C1E5-4DDA-4CDE-8C9F-D4247CD287D0.jpeg

Downhill to slc? Hope to see the summary of your trip. Hope one of the savvy guys who did the delivery trackers comes up with a way to track long distance drives so that we can see them on a map before we plan the same segment. I will try to maintain a log of a few trips in a spreadsheet once I get my car.
I have a review I posted a week ago, yeah, going from Denver to SLC is like a 1000 altitude change from like 5k feet to 4k if I remember correctly.

It’s next to near impossible to get the charging speeds Lucid advertises. Just pulled back into the new EA station at Kettleman City. Pre conditioned the battery and pulled in with just shy of 10% and still maxed out at 274Kw and went down pretty quickly. At 38% I was on 164Kw…….

@HC_79
I received 180 kW here at SLC when I was around 50% without preconditioning, we have good chargers here I think, but my preconditioning doesn't work, I think I may be able to get 300+ if I am able to precondition properly, need to try it.

I have a review I posted a week ago, yeah, going from Denver to SLC is like a 1000 altitude change from like 5k feet to 4k if I remember correctly.

@HC_79
I received 180 kW here at SLC when I was around 50% without preconditioning, we have good chargers here I think, but my preconditioning doesn't work, I think I may be able to get 300+ if I am able to precondition properly, need to try it.
Try with one of the newer chargers if you find one. You mentioned kettleman city. Did you drive to CA after your DC to SLC trip? I am waiting for vin on my Derek Jenkins spec pure awd and I will drive every 2 months to LA and report here.

Try with one of the newer chargers if you find one. You mentioned kettleman city. Did you drive to CA after your DC to SLC trip? I am waiting for vin on my Derek Jenkins spec pure awd and I will drive every 2 months to LA and report here.
I did not, but I am thinking I'll be visiting Southern California during Christmas possibly with the family

I did not, but I am thinking I'll be visiting Southern California during Christmas possibly with the family
Look up @hydbob when you are there. I visit that area often.

I was in Carlsbad this morning with a preconditioned battery and could only draw 52 kW. The other charger was “unavailable”. Called EA on both. Apparantly they have had a lot of calls on the slow speeds, to which I said “then you need to fix it”. Would not have been there except I can’t schedule my charging at home and I’m leaving for a trip in the morning. Was trying to get a good charge before a meeting so at least I would not have to worry about charging before the trip.

Since I had to wait for someone to charge to 95% :rolleyes: due to the open one being “unavailable” and then the low charging speed on the available charge, I was only able to add about 12% to my battery before I had to leave. The one who was charging to 95% was complaining about the low speed (40 kw) and I had to explain to he4 that one really only charges to 80% due to the speed getting throttled after that. However, my experience was not any better with a 40%, preconditioned battery.

Guess I will set my alarm at midnight to wake my car….. Come-on Lucid. You are the only EV where one cannot schedule charging.

I was in Carlsbad this morning with a preconditioned battery and could only draw 52 kW. The other charger was “unavailable”. Called EA on both. Apparantly they have had a lot of calls on the slow speeds, to which I said “then you need to fix it”. Would not have been there except I can’t schedule my charging at home and I’m leaving for a trip in the morning. Was trying to get a good charge before a meeting so at least I would not have to worry about charging before the trip.

Since I had to wait for someone to charge to 95% :rolleyes: due to the open one being “unavailable” and then the low charging speed on the available charge, I was only able to add about 12% to my battery before I had to leave. The one who was charging to 95% was complaining about the low speed (40 kw) and I had to explain to he4 that one really only charges to 80% due to the speed getting throttled after that. However, my experience was not any better with a 40%, preconditioned battery.

Guess I will set my alarm at midnight to wake my car….. Come-on Lucid. You are the only EV where one cannot schedule charging.
I hope that is feature high on the list to schedule. Lucky me. I am currently grandfathered in to tiered rate plan on my solar system but if we go to a hotel and charge, the right thing to do is to to stop at set % and let someone else use it.

Stopped at the Santa Clarita location that’s just turned on the new chargers with 18 miles left, pre-conditioned and got 292kw which quickly tapered off in seconds.

BAB2007C-ACF4-4D53-B2CB-6157EC79064E.jpeg

0D02A40C-8C74-4655-B5E9-195EDC724211.jpeg

DF4C5660-211F-4803-AA8A-B58A06CF6F2E.jpeg

I think Lucid is ahead of it’s time from a tech standpoint: The infrastructure can’t deliver the demands of the car.

This was an interesting sight…… electric bus blocking 4 chargers…… :rolleyes:

View attachment 7461
That's only a little bit off from the charging curve in the Moloughney test:
1670647505523.png
At 10% they got 290kW or so, and at 40% they got 210kW or so.

I have actually gotten 335kW before, at an extremely low SOC, but it's not common.

At the end of the day, it still charges crazy fast, heh.

That's only a little bit off from the charging curve in the Moloughney test: View attachment 7473At 10% they got 290kW or so, and at 40% they got 210kW or so.

I have actually gotten 335kW before, at an extremely low SOC, but it's not common.

At the end of the day, it still charges crazy fast, heh.
Moloughney did a 70 mph road test where he was just at 70mph the entire time right?
And I think he got 95% EPA or something at 4.1
So based on real world driving, is it safe to assume 70 mph is the gold standard for highway driving?

But from this graph too, it seems that it too does not hit above 300 kW

Moloughney did a 70 mph road test where he was just at 70mph the entire time right?
And I think he got 95% EPA or something at 4.1
So based on real world driving, is it safe to assume 70 mph is the gold standard for highway driving?

But from this graph too, it seems that it too does not hit above 300 kW
Range decreases exponentially with velocity, because the force of drag (which is the primary resistance to a vehicle moving at high speeds) is proportional to the square of velocity.

At low speeds, the main limitations are electrical needs to keep the vehicle running (heat, cooling, etc) and different kinds of energy loss due to friction (drivetrain, tires).

EPA highway efficiency is rated at 55mph, so manufacturers generally try to maximize efficiency at that speed.

Here's an old table comparing Tesla's various tire options for the Model 3, but also includes efficiency at various speeds:
1670648779062.png

55mph is much better than 65mph, which is much better than 75mph. The sweet spot would probably be about 15-20mph; you could probably go at 15-20mph for almost double the EPA rated range, I'd bet! But if you did that you'd get murdered by other drivers. :)

If you're on a long road trip, I'd stick to 65-70; you won't be in the leftmost lane, and you'll occasionally be getting passed, but hey, you'll have the range you want (although I have to stop every few hours to pee/walk around anyway, so why not just coincide that with charging stops). Otherwise, enjoy going 75, 80, 85, whatever... just know that with each increase in velocity you lose range by the difference in that velocity squared (simplifying, of course, but all other things being equal).

This is also why the extremely low Cd of the Lucid Air is so important; it is by far the biggest impact on range.

Last edited:
Back