EA idle fee?

Oat

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Just charged my Lucid at EA and saw a 4 minutes idle fee on the receipt. How would they charge me if they do not have my credit card information?

Attachments

• IMG_1504.png
    IMG_1504.png
    699.4 KB · Views: 131
Just charged my Lucid at EA and saw a 4 minutes idle fee on the receipt. How would they charge me if they do not have my credit card information?
Lucid will charge you

The idle fee math is puzzling.

I’m 99% certain that it’s actually $0.40/min and they screwed up the display, not the math. It looks like they’re also prorating it by the second, which would be cool.

If that’s the case, it would have been $.40 x 3m12s = $1.28, but they rounded up the 3m12s to 4min for the display.

I could be wrong, but that’s my guess.

I just checked my app to be sure and it says idle fee $0.00/min (currently waived until further notice). It also says that it applies if the car isn't unplugged within 10 minutes of charging being completed or stopped. With other cars, I set the level to 100% if I wasn't sure that I'd be back by the time it got to what I needed to continue my trip. So if you set the car to maximum range and overstay by under 10 minutes and they implement an idle fee, then you'd get hit with one. But considering that "until further notice" means that they should give notice, I'm not too worried.

It's surprising that they'd have different rules for different owners, since waiving idle fees wouldn't be a deciding purchase factor for almost anybody. So I'd double check the app under Service Summary of Lucid Charging Service and see what it says. If it says zero, then if they come after you for the $1.28, it's time to hire a lawyer.

I just checked my app to be sure and it says idle fee $0.00/min (currently waived until further notice). It also says that it applies if the car isn't unplugged within 10 minutes of charging being completed or stopped. With other cars, I set the level to 100% if I wasn't sure that I'd be back by the time it got to what I needed to continue my trip. So if you set the car to maximum range and overstay by under 10 minutes and they implement an idle fee, then you'd get hit with one. But considering that "until further notice" means that they should give notice, I'm not too worried.

It's surprising that they'd have different rules for different owners, since waiving idle fees wouldn't be a deciding purchase factor for almost anybody. So I'd double check the app under Service Summary of Lucid Charging Service and see what it says. If it says zero, then if they come after you for the $1.28, it's time to hire a lawyer.
Lol, hire a lawyer over $1.28

Lol, hire a lawyer over $1.28
Lol…. Not really worried about the fee, just surprised about the charge showing up. I was also under the impression that I would get notified if the idle fee policy changes.

Lol…. Not really worried about the fee, just surprised about the charge showing up. I was also under the impression that I would get notified if the idle fee policy changes.
Unless your app shows something different from what mine shows, it hasn't changed and it's an error.

In thought EA sent out an email some months ago about changes in pricing structure.

They really need to start enforcing the 30 minutes rule as well as charging idle fees. Everyone just unplugs and replies after 30 minutes and leaves their cars for hours at the mall. Ugh. I bet it would be so much faster if EA could enforce the rules better

They really need to start enforcing the 30 minutes rule as well as charging idle fees. Everyone just unplugs and replies after 30 minutes and leaves their cars for hours at the mall. Ugh. I bet it would be so much faster if EA could enforce the rules better
The 10 minute grace period and low $ penalty is annoying enough.

I would have thought EA would be giddy about idle fees and 3rd party tows should be all to happy to remove cars that aren't actively using chargers.

3rd party tows should be all to happy to remove cars that aren't actively using chargers.
yea that too, there are some stalls that you can access from multiple sides and you'll see cars done and other people will take the charger out and plug it in on the other side, but jeez, tow those damn cars out of there

yea that too, there are some stalls that you can access from multiple sides and you'll see cars done and other people will take the charger out and plug it in on the other side, but jeez, tow those damn cars out of there
That might be legal in some states but illegal in others. While I don't like the idea of people parking in charging spots, especially when the car isn't even an EV, the idea that a person should have to pay in the hundreds of dollars to get a car back for overstaying, by trying to find out where a car was towed to, seems excessive. Charging per minute makes sense, providing that it's in the agreement. Even though my app says that there are no idle fees, I'd still want to avoid hogging a space even for a few minutes if there's any chance that somebody would be waiting. I don't understand why anybody who has ever waited to charge would think that it's a good idea to tie up a charging space while not charging.

That might be legal in some states but illegal in others. While I don't like the idea of people parking in charging spots, especially when the car isn't even an EV, the idea that a person should have to pay in the hundreds of dollars to get a car back for overstaying, by trying to find out where a car was towed to, seems excessive. Charging per minute makes sense, providing that it's in the agreement. Even though my app says that there are no idle fees, I'd still want to avoid hogging a space even for a few minutes if there's any chance that somebody would be waiting. I don't understand why anybody who has ever waited to charge would think that it's a good idea to tie up a charging space while not charging.
Because people are aholes. I wish I could get them towed as an ahole tax.

In Santa Fe a few months back I found a public L2 charger outside a government building. A Mercedes EQS SUV was just parked there. Not charging. Not even plugged in. Just parked. There were dozens of other empty spots around, but this person chose to park in the one public charging spot.

As my grandmother used to say, "I'd like to meet him in a dark alley."

I think some EV owners think "EV spots" are for EVs. Period. Not for EVs that are charging only.

It's bad enough dealing with ICEholes. We don't need to be fighting other EV owners.

1: The way Tesla does it, if you don’t have a credit card on file, they’ll block you from charging at your next supercharging visit until you do.

2: EA’s cents per minute Idle Fee is just silly. Set any grace period you want, but for God’s sake, charge at least $1.00 PER minute. Make it hurt. Make it really hurt!

For as much as I lbash Tesla and Elon Musk, I have to grant that there are many things in the Tesla ecosystem that Tesla does very, very well. Sensible, seamless, generally glitch-free, and generally very user-friendly.

1: The way Tesla does it, if you don’t have a credit card on file, they’ll block you from charging at your next supercharging visit until you do.

2: EA’s cents per minute Idle Fee is just silly. Set any grace period you want, but for God’s sake, charge at least $1.00 PER minute. Make it hurt. Make it really hurt!

For as much as I lbash Tesla and Elon Musk, I have to grant that there are many things in the Tesla ecosystem that Tesla does very, very well. Sensible, seamless, generally glitch-free, and generally very user-friendly.
Tesla recently implemented congestion fees too. So at busy stations, they'll charge fees if you go above 80 or 90%.

But yea I agree, just copy Tesla. And don’t let people with free charging for 30 minutes unplug and replug. Sitting at the station from 80-100 is a huuuge inefficiency

Back