Drive System Fault Megathread

I had a Drive System Warning pop up on my GT a few weeks back. Car seems to run completely normal. BTW, this is not the Drive System Fault warning light that I have seen discussed on this thread.

I called Lucid and they asked me to take it in ASAP. The car has been at the Costa Mesa service center for about 2 weeks. No one knows whats going on yet. They said they were discussing with the engineers back at HQ.

Anyone else have an idea of what's going on or have had similar issues?

View attachment 9603
I have a similar issue and the car is being picked (from South Carolina) and taken to Richmind, VA.

I had the same message pop up for about 4-5 sec and went away. This happened two weeks ago and hasn't happened since. I didn't call anyone about it. Would you guys suggest I call?

I had the message pop up while driving a couple months ago. It went away in about 45 seconds and never returned. I subsequently had my car in for an unrelated issue. They did research the warning but didn’t turn out to be an issue. Just one of those things that can happen when the car is basically a computer on batteries. I’ve driven a few thousand miles since then with no recurrence.

I could almost copy / paste @Halodde 's thread on the same subject, but here's the TLDR:

Drove up from DC to NH last Thursday, with a stop for a meeting in NY. Me, my friend Michael and my dog, Abbey. Great trip. Joined in NH by my wife and another friend, and had an exceptionally enjoyable five days hiking, grilling, kayaking etc.

Plan was that the four of us (plus the dog) would all drive back yesterday, Tuesday 30th, leaving at 8am. So I charged the car to 100% using the scheduled charging feature, and we were all loaded up and ready to go at 8:10. Got in the car, put my seatbelt on, pressed the brake pedal and ...

1685562047947.jpeg

and a few moments later, the car completely shut down. Symptoms were very much as described elsewhere - it would wake up briefly, shut itself down after a few seconds, and then play dead for a while. Called customer care, spent 12 minutes on hold with no response. Text response was much quicker. They power-cycled the car remotely but still no joy (and they advised me not to try the two-button reset, so I left that one alone).

I won't go into too much detail on the loooong saga of back-and-forth between me, customer care, and the service centers in Natick and Tysons. But the end result was that I got a $100 taxi to Laconia airport to pick up a rental car in which we would drive back to DC, once the Lucid was safely on its way. So we unloaded / reloaded our gear and waited. And waited. Eventually an enclosed trailer arrived at 3:30 (yes, seven hours and change after I initially contacted them), ostensibly to haul the car all the way down to Tysons. The driver was very nice but spoke only Russian; thankfully mine is rusty but serviceable so, with a little help from google translate, we managed to establish that (a) he had not been told that the Lucid was completely immobile, and (b) his trailer, while already containing a Toyota Camry, had sadly no winch or dollies / skids. So, after some back and forth, he went away again. I left the fob and keycard somewhere obvious and, at 4:18pm, we were on our way. Arrived home tired but triumphant in the wee small hours.

According to my security cameras, the Lucid finally departed a couple of minutes before midnight ... another tow truck appeared to arrive around 9am this morning but left predictably empty-handed. My car arrived at Natick (yes, Natick, not Tysons) around 11:30 this morning, and we await further details. The nice folks at Tysons have promised me a loaner, so at some point (likely not until Sunday but that's down to my schedule more than anything else) I'll ditch the appalling 40k-mile Kia with its dodgy alignment, and be back in a Lucid.

Initial thoughts:
- Cars break. I'm not mad about the drive system fault.
- There are clearly issues with communication, and with clarity of protocol / process, between customer care and roadside assistance. It's inexcusable for it to take seven hours for the (improperly equipped) transport to arrive. Given the car was securely in my driveway, they could have just told me at 8:30AM "Leave the keys, grab a rental car and we'll take care of the rest". Even with the time to go get the rental, we'd have been on our way home a clear six hours earlier.
- Once I got connected with the service folks at Tysons and at Natick, I felt far more reassured. Both have been communicative, professional and helpful.

I'll update this thread once I have a prognosis on the car ...

These drive faults are popping up, or maybe with mine gone because of a drive fault I am more aware. Our stories are similar enough to suffice to say my car is also being repaired for perhaps the same issue.

A jump of the car fixed the drive system fault. Did this also fix it for you? To be clear, they are still investigating and doing other repairs. I did not drive it other than to back up into the driveway to be picked up after leaving for the trip.

Interesting - thanks. They / we didn't try to jump mine, the only solution offered was to tow it to a service center.

Update: Natick SC called this morning, there's a fault internal to the battery, so they're going to replace it. Should have the car back next week sometime.

No updates on my end. They told me it had to do with the battery as well during remote diagnostics, so maybe it was a batch issue.

Big battery, I think it's a module?

But I had the same problem. Got the car back already

Ooooh….!!! So, do you know if you got a completely new battery pack, with zero degradation?

On infrequent occasions, Tesla would replace entire battery packs still under warranty. But the owner would never get a completely brand new battery pack, but a battery pack “of similiar capacity and performance”, or Tesla-legal-CYA-wording something along those lines. I don’t think I ever read or heard of any Tesla owner ever getting a completely brand new battery.

Keep us posted. I'm supposed to get mine back tomorrow. It's been in Natick for 3 weeks as they were waiting for the high voltage battery to come in

Quick update: repairs began yesterday, they hope to have it finished tomorrow. And the nice people at Tysons brought me a white GT yesterday, so I'm back to travelling in style again :)

I guess depending on trucking schedules I might have it back by the weekend?

Ohhhh thought: my EZ Pass is still in the car. I wonder if I should ask them to put it in a metal pouch or something, before the car heads down all the toll roads?

I had a couple of these (horror screens) in my first months, but resets "fixed" it until it happened again, and again, and again, until my local mobile service guy told me to "stop it" and arranged for my car to be trucked to VA. I remembered to remove the EZ pass. It was fun to track my car using the app...I watched the truck driver stop for lunch, etc., and saw where they parked it at the shop and when it was moved. I did not consider that when I checked on the car at ~3am (insomniac) that the car "wakes" with flashing lights, so I wonder what it was like when the Lucid suddenly "awakes"
1686061806408.png

I realized this was an issue when the car arrived in front of my home at night: the headlights were shining directly into the flatbed driver's cab. I must have been flashing him periodically (every time I checked where the car is) all the way from VA to Philly. I bet he loves trucking Lucids with owners that know about the tracking feature on the phone app.

The car was sorted with new modules and likely a good going-over of software updates (I'd missed a series early on = don't do this).
My service experiences have been outstanding. I did not expect a perfect car but I have one now.

Reliability has been flawless since. Absolutely bonkers in love with this car.

My only disappointment is : "HIGHWAY ASS". I wish I could delete it entirely, as it seems to be the default condition and makes it hard to select the cruse control...it takes me several minutes of distracted driving to figure out what sequence of presses and holds will get you to "COMBATIVE CRUSE" mode.

I don't understand what HI ASS is supposed to do but it scares me; the way it jerks the wheel and takes exits off the highway on it's own initiative. If anyone knows how to remove hi-ASS , or knows the secret way to just get cruse control with no ass... help?

what is it for ? can you make an update that removes it?

Everything on the car is so well-sorted...this "feature" makes no sense... I have to duck my head under the top of the steering wheel to see which of the modes I've "selected" (like, as if I had a choice), and then try the button presses (longer or shorter?) over and over to try and get to Adaptive Cruse, all the while not looking at the road because my head is ducked under to read the display, and my speed is going up and down as I try to figure out how this works. Also, the steering wheel position adjustment is stupid...you took a big step backwards here... and the outside mirrors.... I could do without the heater controls on the dash, and the hi-ass controls altogether...maybe you could re-purpose these for wheel / mirrors ?
I just need the one button for adaptive cruse ... just one ping only.

I've a feeling this (highway ass) is a marketing idea (Elon's self-abusing car wet dream) and not a car engineer idea.

Lucid engineers, could you

make curse control the one button default ?

( you know what you can do with your hi-ass ).

Ohhhh thought: my EZ Pass is still in the car. I wonder if I should ask them to put it in a metal pouch or something, before the car heads down all the toll roads?

just fold it into a piece of Aluminum foil.

Last edited:
Quick update: repairs began yesterday, they hope to have it finished tomorrow. And the nice people at Tysons brought me a white GT yesterday, so I'm back to travelling in style again :)

I guess depending on trucking schedules I might have it back by the weekend?

Good idea on the ezpass. I just looked and got a charge from Mass on mine because it was in the car when it was towed on the pike. I'll probably have another one for the return trip today. Oh well. Minor amounts

On infrequent occasions, Tesla would replace entire battery packs still under warranty. But the owner would never get a completely brand new battery pack, but a battery pack “of similiar capacity and performance”, or Tesla-legal-CYA-wording something along those lines. I don’t think I ever read or heard of any Tesla owner ever getting a completely brand new battery.

We had a 2015 Model S P85D. A weld joint failed in the battery pack, taking out the pack and the rear drive unit. Tesla replaced both under warranty. However, the 85-kWh pack was no longer in production, and they replaced it with a new 90-kWh pack. They even rebadged the car as a P90D, both on the trunk lid and on all the software screens, and they restarted the clock on the battery warranty period. (The announcement of the 90-kWh pack came literally the day after we took delivery of the P85D, so the car remained designated a 2015 model.)

I had a couple of these (horror screens) in my first months, but resets "fixed" it until it happened again, and again, and again, until my local mobile service guy told me to "stop it" and arranged for my car to be trucked to VA. I remembered to remove the EZ pass. It was fun to track my car using the app...I watched the truck driver stop for lunch, etc., and saw where they parked it at the shop and when it was moved. I did not consider that when I checked on the car at ~3am (insomniac) that the car "wakes" with flashing lights, so I wonder what it was like when the Lucid suddenly "awakes" View attachment 12781
I realized this was an issue when the car arrived in front of my home at night: the headlights were shining directly into the flatbed driver's cab. I must have been flashing him periodically (every time I checked where the car is) all the way from VA to Philly. I bet he loves trucking Lucids with owners that know about the tracking feature on the phone app.

The car was sorted with new modules and likely a good going-over of software updates (I'd missed a series early on = don't do this).
My service experiences have been outstanding. I did not expect a perfect car but I have one now.

Reliability has been flawless since. Absolutely bonkers in love with this car.

My only disappointment is : "HIGHWAY ASS". I wish I could delete it entirely, as it seems to be the default condition and makes it hard to select the cruse control...it takes me several minutes of distracted driving to figure out what sequence of presses and holds will get you to "COMBATIVE CRUSE" mode.

I don't understand what HI ASS is supposed to do but it scares me; the way it jerks the wheel and takes exits off the highway on it's own initiative. If anyone knows how to remove hi-ASS , or knows the secret way to just get cruse control with no ass... help?

what is it for ? can you make an update that removes it?

Everything on the car is so well-sorted...this "feature" makes no sense... I have to duck my head under the top of the steering wheel to see which of the modes I've "selected" (like, as if I had a choice), and then try the button presses (longer or shorter?) over and over to try and get to Adaptive Cruse, all the while not looking at the road because my head is ducked under to read the display, and my speed is going up and down as I try to figure out how this works. Also, the steering wheel position adjustment is stupid...you took a big step backwards here... and the outside mirrors.... I could do without the heater controls on the dash, and the hi-ass controls altogether...maybe you could re-purpose these for wheel / mirrors ?
I just need the one button for adaptive cruse ... just one ping only.

I've a feeling this (highway ass) is a marketing idea (Elon's self-abusing car wet dream) and not a car engineer idea.

Lucid engineers, could you

make curse control the one button default ?

( you know what you can do with your hi-ass ).

just fold it into a piece of Aluminum foil.
If you hit the cruise button and hold it down, it will change to Adaptive Cruise instead. It will also default to that until you re-engage Highway Ass

If you hit the cruise button and hold it down, it will change to Adaptive Cruise instead. It will also default to that until you re-engage Highway Ass
And Highway Assistant is far superior to Adaptive Cruise, imho.

On roads where HA doesn't work, it will default to Adaptive Cruise anyway. You can always tell if you're in HA based on if you have lane markers on the screen and/or if they're yellow. By holding down the cruise button as @hydbob mentions it will swap.

@Cosmo Cruz Can you take a video of the issue you're having? Perhaps driving with a friend or family member?

Back on topic: noticed last night that the car is now responding again in the Lucid app, so I guess the new battery is in - yay! The Natick SC is also looking at a couple of minor trim alignment / wind noise issues while they have the car, so hopefully it will be on its way back to me soon once they've taken care of those.

Back