Drive System Fault Megathread

Touring went into Turtle mode last night at 540 miles. Was able to limp home and trying to deal with Seattle Service now. Pretty discouraged... : (

Touring went into Turtle mode last night at 540 miles. Was able to limp home and trying to deal with Seattle Service now. Pretty discouraged... : (
Yeah, discouraged sums it up. I told everyone that I'm more disappointed than angry. Please let respond with the issue when you find out.

Sorry to hear that! About 2500 miles on my Grand Touring so far, and no issues.
I'm surprised, you've had your car for a bit now right? Do you keep it mostly indoors until summer?

And yeah, my AGT just got back from service for drive system fault. Had to get battery replaced.
Hope they fix your issue and no more issues.

If it makes anyone feel better, I had gone on 3 road trips and no problems.
Only advice I can give is to warm the cabin and warm the battery a bit before driving it 'cold'
That's what I think helps

I'm surprised, you've had your car for a bit now right? Do you keep it mostly indoors until summer?
We're retired and don't have a commute. I've been leaving the Air in the garage during northern CA's endless rains, so I don't have two cars to clean :) . Wife's Volvo EV has all-weather mats with good footwell coverage.

I’m going to hit 3,000 miles on my Touring tomorrow. Haven’t seen this issue yet.

I had a Drive System Warning pop up on my GT a few weeks back. Car seems to run completely normal. BTW, this is not the Drive System Fault warning light that I have seen discussed on this thread.

I called Lucid and they asked me to take it in ASAP. The car has been at the Costa Mesa service center for about 2 weeks. No one knows whats going on yet. They said they were discussing with the engineers back at HQ.

Anyone else have an idea of what's going on or have had similar issues?

View attachment 9603
This just happened to me. They said I could still drive it

Really sad to hear about system faults; for those who have experienced them, your patience is golden. I’ve had my car for 7 months and virtually no problems. Young company that is still learning ; let’s all hope others’ frustrations will continue to add to Lucid’s data set , to keep improving the car.

4k on my Touring. No issues so far, knock on wood. Sorry you have had an issue. It does sound like Lucid is very responsive.

Yeah the only disabling issue I had was from a broken charger that short circuited the coolant pumps for the rear drive motor and left battery pack, service was excellent at diagnosing and fixing the issue and minimizing inconvenience to me. 15K miles on my car. Hopefully you got the bad luck over with early and it’s smooth sailing after this. I’ve not heard of a repeat failure after the drive motor or battery pack is replaced so hopefully that’s the end of it!

Yesterday I started to charge at an EA. Charging stopped after climbing only 1%, dashboard showed “drive system fault” and red battery light came on. Called Customer Service (was on hold a very short time) and the rep told me to get out, lock the car, let it go to sleep mode. When I got back in, all systems were go, problem resolved. Tried to charge again, and charging stopped almost immediately. But this time, it was the EA charger, not the car. I moved to another charger and all was fine, drove home with no issues. Just to say that Customer Service was fine, stayed on the phone with me until all was resolved. I guess I was lucky…

Yesterday I started to charge at an EA. Charging stopped after climbing only 1%, dashboard showed “drive system fault” and red battery light came on. Called Customer Service (was on hold a very short time) and the rep told me to get out, lock the car, let it go to sleep mode. When I got back in, all systems were go, problem resolved. Tried to charge again, and charging stopped almost immediately. But this time, it was the EA charger, not the car. I moved to another charger and all was fine, drove home with no issues. Just to say that Customer Service was fine, stayed on the phone with me until all was resolved. I guess I was lucky…
I had the exact same issue yesterday. Didn't have to move to a different charger though, just unplugging and plugging back resumed the charging. I was able to drive off after that. Customer service said they will contact me today to follow up since it was late in the night.

Based on the NHTSA complaint, looks like you get approximately 10 seconds to pull over if you get this error while driving before everything dies and screen turns off.
Be alert and be safe folks.

Based on the NHTSA complaint, looks like you get approximately 10 seconds to pull over if you get this error while driving before everything dies and screen turns off.
For me it was 2 minutes.

But as I stated in my original post.
I was able to cycle off of that 2 minutes, then do a key card reset, get back in drive another 2 minutes before it died, repeat until I got home

What was the final resolution? Did you have to take it in? If so how many days in the shop?

What was the final resolution? Did you have to take it in? If so how many days in the shop?
Yeah, I just got it back. New battery replacement. Superb service, had a car rental, and everything arranged.
They even detailed it for me and did some extra services for me that was super appreciative.

If I recall the 10 seconds was something occurring with an older version of the software and time has been extended to around two minutes as mentioned above.

My car never threw a fault code for this latest problem ( severe limitation of power, uneven power surges that lasted one day) so it was trucked to natick where they are replacing the front motor. They are also doing the yearly service( filters wipers etc) for $535 and they are also straightning two rims and replacing a tire for extreme wear. I could do a bit better using my own guy on this last service but the car would be down another week while I took the rims to him and waited for them to get done so Lucid gets the job just for convenience.

I've had my Touring since Dec 2022, and have loved it. 4K miles so far, mostly on my highway commute. I convinced my wife (currently 8 months pregnant) that it really is a family car and we can take it on a 3 hour trip to her parents' place for a week's vacation. She begrudgingly agreed to leave the ICE SUV at home, and we packed the toddler into the carseat and zoomed off. The car really does have a lot of storage space, and my wife used every cubic centimeter to ensure that we were well prepared for the week.

All went well on our trip down. My efficiency was better given warmer weather; I used about 40% of the battery going from door to door. We enjoyed taking the in laws around in the car as well and I found opportunities to run errands with my father in law a couple times. I used a couple of EA fast charging stations near her parents' home; plug-and-charge worked seamlessly. This morning I charged from 43% to 75% to give myself some buffer for the return trip home.

On our way back home, driving along I-95, we got the Drive System Warning a couple times (a first for me). I snapped a photo the second time, and reported it to Customer Care. About 20 minutes later, we got "Drive System Fault" turtle mode, and the car slowed down on I-95 to about 35-40 mph. I did not love that. I put the hazard flashers on and managed to make it to a service plaza before the car shut down; it was probably 3 or 4 miles after I got the fault.

I parked (near a set of Tesla superchargers, ironically) and called roadside assistance as we were still over an hour from home, somewhere between Baltimore and Philadelphia. We attempted several soft resets but these were unsuccessful. The car would not stay in Drive mode -- it would immediately flip back into Park and I was not able to move it.

We called back into CC. Ray from CC was very understanding and empathetic. She recommended that I have the car towed and offered to arrange a rideshare for us. We took the toddler in for mac-and-cheese while waiting for the rideshare, but being in a remote part of Maryland we didn't have much luck with the first two Lyfts that were ordered. We called CC back and spoke to Thomas, who stated that he would get permission to use Uber, and if that failed, would dispatch a taxi. We explained that we had a lot of luggage and Thomas made sure we had an SUV that could accommodate the carseat and all our stuff. They also arranged a flatbed tow. I had a key fob with me in addition to my mobile key, and Thomas advised me to leave the key fob in the center console and then lock the car with my mobile key after we unloaded. (Apparently they would have had me give the PIN to the tow truck driver if I did not have a key fob with me.) I needed to get my family home, and Thomas assured me that I could go ahead when the Uber arrived, and that I did not need to wait for the tow truck driver.

Having waited for over an hour, we went back out to start unloading the car, and I noticed that the turtle mode error was cleared. I was able to drive it, and did a couple of laps around the service plaza parking lot. We called back to CC but were advised that they could not recommend that I just drive home, as there was no way to assure us that we wouldn't get stuck again, and they wanted to do proper diagnostics to find out what happened.

The towing company called me when they arrived, and snapped photos before, during, and after loading the car onto the flatbed. Unprompted, he asked me to disable the shock/tilt alarm from my phone app. He called again when reaching Tysons' Corner service center and sent more photos of the car being dropped off. I spoke with Darwin from Tysons' Corner who received the car and said it was driving normally, and that he would give me an update on what was going on in the next 24-48 hours.

I asked CC for a loaner, and was advised to discuss with the service center once they called to discuss the service diagnostics. Darwin at Tyson's said that he couldn't arrange a loaner, or set up a rental car for me, but politely offered that I could set up my own rental car and then pursue reimbursement, noting a limit of $100 per day.

Thanks to all the folks on the forum who have posted about their experiences. Hopefully I will have a good resolution! Fortunately my wife was very patient and understanding, although I worry that my chances of getting a Gravity as our next "family car" took a hit today.

Back