Drive System Fault Megathread

Anddd ... it's back! Came down last night / this morning in an enclosed trailer. They offered to bring it to my house but this part of the city is hugely difficult to navigate for larger vehicles, and in some cases they aren't allowed through at all. So I drove the loaner out to Tysons and switched over. Feels great to be back in my own car.

Not much else to add, really. My Lucid now works as it should - they replaced the HV battery and "MPB" (main power board?). And I have to say the service I've received from both Natick and Tysons Service Centres has been exemplary.

A quick observation: I know dividing remaning range by battery percentage is a crude, inaccurate and unscientific way of measuring total range. Nonetheless, with the original battery my extrapolated range was always around 508-510. With the new battery it's 528 or 529. I suspect this will decline with usage; it'll be interesting to see how.

Cheers!

That's quite a saga, @Spin Doctor
I'm glad you have your car back and it sounds like in even better shape than before.
The Tysons Team is amazing!

BTW - At the Lucid Dream Ahead Tour event/reception at The Jefferson Hotel, I met Allison, the founding manager at Tysons. She also manages the new Tyson's Service Center. I enjoyed talking with her and learning more about Lucid through her eyes. I didn't know this before, but the Lucid Studio at Tysons is the busiest in all of Luciddom. The first two employees she hired are still there! I have had nothing but very positive interactions with both...and other staff at Tyson's Lucid Studio.

I had a “similar” warning, but not the same as yours. After a “Battery Failure - System will shut down in 2 minutes” warning (2 times), I got the following on the screen:
View attachment 9611

I didn’t drive it any more, having safely pulled over into a dirt lot off the highway exit. My HV battery pack is going to be replaced after they looked up the car VIN and battery serial number. Luckily I’m in Arizona and the HV battery pack is only a day or so away.
I just had this same thing happen. my car is being towed from Long Island to Massachusetts

After having drive system fault twice and being stuck I unfortunately had to make the decision to trade my car for this bad boy..

Will I miss the car somewhat, yes! But this is just to early for me, they have a long way to go to be taken seriously IMO. Good luck everyone and maybe will see you in a couple of years. Peace ✌️!!!
You went big. That is one huge car. If one can ignore the designs of the current BMWs, they do drive terrificly.

I had a similar warning. I was advised to not drive the car andafter a couple of calls and different Service Reps., sent a pick up van to take the car to someplace around Richmond, Va. (I live in South Carolina). They kept the car for about 8 or 9 days and then returned it via the same delivery service. This happened in late May of 2023. They replaced some valve that allowed cooling into the High Voltage regulator so I did not get a battery shut down or worse. In the 6 weeks that I have had the car back, it has operated fine.

... They replaced some valve that allowed cooling into the High Voltage regulator so I did not get a battery shut down or worse. In the 6 weeks that I have had the car back, it has operated fine.
Sounds like you could be CopaceticOwner now? :)

13k miles in. Had the grand touring air since 11/3/22.

Driving normally on turnpike in Florida on Friday when suddenly red warning came on. Had about 20 seconds to get on the shoulder.

Car completely shut down after that.

Lucid service has the car now but they are closed till Monday. What happens now?

This problem seems to be happening a lot more that what is generally known.

Will the car be reliable once I get it back? Will this happen again??

Driving normally on turnpike in Florida on Friday when suddenly red warning came on. Had about 20 seconds to get on the shoulder.

Lucid service has the car now but they are closed till Monday. What happens now?

There has never been a report of this happening a second time for an owner after Lucid repairs whatever it is that has gone wrong.

There have been a variety of causes for this, so it's not as simple as a recall for a specific problem.

Wait times have varied. But many have reported Lucid needing the car for a few weeks to do the repairs. Again, it will depend on what exactly went wrong.

It is not common at all, although this forum has a tendency to make it seem like issues happen more often than they do in reality.

There has never been a report of this happening a second time for an owner after Lucid repairs whatever it is that has gone wrong.

There have been a variety of causes for this, so it's not as simple as a recall for a specific problem.

Wait times have varied. But many have reported Lucid needing the car for a few weeks to do the repairs. Again, it will depend on what exactly went wrong.

It is not common at all, although this forum has a tendency to make it seem like issues happen more often than they do in reality.
Not that we’re aware of but I’ve had it happen to me for a second time in the LOANER. Died on the freeway and needed to be towed. Was a great experience being just inside the emergency lane whilst it was getting dark in a black car to then just have the emergencies completely die also.

For those who have not had this issue you’re very quick to dismiss others and say “sorry” “it’s a small proportion” blah, blah, blah but to happen to me TWICE in 2 different vehicles isn’t coincidence / bad luck. It’s a problem that Lucid can’t figure out 18 months on. Funnily enough, both cars had around the 2000 mile mark on it. The new loaner I have has 400 miles on it so I’m good for another 1600 miles at least……

Not that we’re aware of but I’ve had it happen to me for a second time in the LOANER. Died on the freeway and needed to be towed. Was a great experience being just inside the emergency lane whilst it was getting dark in a black car to then just have the emergencies completely die also.

For those who have not had this issue you’re very quick to dismiss others and say “sorry” “it’s a small proportion” blah, blah, blah but to happen to me TWICE in 2 different vehicles isn’t coincidence / bad luck. It’s a problem that Lucid can’t figure out 18 months on. Funnily enough, both cars had around the 2000 mile mark on it. The new loaner I have has 400 miles on it so I’m good for another 1600 miles at least……
That sucks it happened to you twice. That said, it is actually the very definition of a coincidence.

I am so sorry you had a failure. To my knowledge it is very uncommon for this to happen twice. I know it’s not much solace but I guess these incidents are part of investing in a new company and vehicular platform. I really didn’t understand this concept until joining this forum. I am confident that as Lucid collects more data we will continue to see this decrease. I don’t know the true incidence of failure but other more knowledgeable members say it is uncommon. Hoping for a very speedy resolution for you.

Let us know if it is the contactor issue. My car shut down 2 weeks ago, during a road trip from Fl to NJ. Only made it to Florence SC., with the car. (See the "Road trip disaster" thread).

That sucks it happened to you twice. That said, it is actually the very definition of a coincidence.
And there you go again just being dismissive and saying it’s coincidence. No it’s not a coincidence that it’s happened to a number of owners in this forum and probably more outside of it, it’s a problem! Almost 2 years in since the cars release and it's still continuing to happen. Clearly, Lucid hasn’t figured out the fix!

I am so sorry you had a failure. To my knowledge it is very uncommon for this to happen twice. I know it’s not much solace but I guess these incidents are part of investing in a new company and vehicular platform. I really didn’t understand this concept until joining this forum. I am confident that as Lucid collects more data we will continue to see this decrease. I don’t know the true incidence of failure but other more knowledgeable members say it is uncommon. Hoping for a very speedy resolution for you.
If you really listen their business model
Is to sell powertrain and battery packs to others.
Rawlinson wants to supply power units to large clients.
He is biding his time with the Cars as a hobby. A very expensive one at that but hey the Saudi’s are loaded. 15-20 Billion is chump change to them with the Oil Prices being where they are since the War.

Would be interesting to see how many they made and shipped this QTR AND If they tell us their current backlog which they refused to do the last EC.

He is biding his time with the Cars as a hobby. A very expensive one at that but hey the Saudi’s are loaded. 15-20 Billion is chump change to them with the Oil Prices being where they are since the War.

Would be interesting to see how many they made and shipped this QTR AND If they tell us their current backlog which they refused to do the last EC.

I wish them success with that avenue and I also hope they can continue to improve the Air. It’s a fantastic car ; it’s disheartening to read people’s accounts of the car failing on them, even though I really cannot say with any accuracy how prevalent of an issue it is.
Fortunately I have not been in that situation , and I know it’s an unlikely occurrence.

A forum like this is not an accurate picture of what is happening in real life. From the forum, it does seem like there are too many turtles. But that might just be an appearance. Lucid could clear this up by reporting the percentage of cars that have had this problem. But this is the type of transparency that no car company seems to manage.

And you know this because you have lunch with Peter every weekend?

Let’s avoid wild speculation.

Why would any major auto manufacturer want to buy power trains from Lucid or anyone for that matter? The major differentiator is and will be battery technology.

So, just so we’re on the same page, what you’re saying is… this hasn’t happened twice on any vehicle that we’re aware of? Got it.

So I’ll repeat: There has never been a report of this happening a second time for an owner after Lucid repairs whatever it is that has gone wrong.

Back