Drive system fault

Haha, yeah not if I do first. “Oh oops the airfoil broke off again I have no idea how that keeps happening Ps do you still have that sapphire as a loaner that was great” haha
"Hey, is the Sapphire available?"

"Nope. Borski has it again."

For what it’s worth, my car is going in Monday for some minor fixes (drivers door handle fascia a bit loose, rear window tint has bubbles [which they redid when replacing the window cuz they cracked it previously by accident, so I’m having them redo], rear deck lid moulding glue came a bit loose, and front left airfoil broke off [my fault]) and they are providing me a Hertz rental, though I haven’t gotten a call from
Hertz yet. Of note, it is limited to gas cars, not electric, which is ironic and mildly annoying but not really a big deal.

Major fixes, I assume, should also provide rentals.

They don’t have loaners at all yet.
Just got a call from Hertz in Burlingame - took my info over the phone and will deliver an Infiniti Q50 to Lucid in Millbrae either today or Monday early morning so that I can drive off with it when I drop off my car.

So far, zero issues with the service or rental 🤷‍♂️

It happened to me and the car has been with Lucid for two weeks now. This is a safety issue as to how abruptly this happens. As I have done, you should also report this to NHTSA - this is not to punish Lucid - this is to ensure that this issue is given priority. Although I am frustrated that my car is not with me, I am not sure if I would be willing to drive this without knowing what's causing this. From what I gather, Lucid is not returning cars with this issue until they know and correct exactly what is causing this issue.
Lucid encourages reporting to NHTSA, see p.211 in the owner's manual. It doesn't hurt to report because they have access to their database and have the ability to put 2 and 2 together and may find a trend among EV reported problems.

I agree with your concern. Of all the problems that have been reported on the Forum, this is the most serious problem that I see. Victims of this failure are very lucky, and I am surprised that no one has been hurt or killed. I am also surprised, and concerned, that Lucid does not appear to put this problem at the top of their list.

I mean, pretty sure we know what’s causing it in the vast majority of cases - rear drive unit failure. Replacing that has been the fix in (I think?) every case so far.

This does not seem like a major safety issue, as it gives you ample warning and does not shut off or anything, giving you the ability to safely find a spot to turn off.

The 12v battery issue is much more worrying, but also less widespread.

I dno about the NHTSA reports for this; it seems unnecessary as it has been handled through warranty without issue, generally, but the 12v issues are another matter.
I am not sure if you have driven your car in turtle mode. Specific to my situation, the car would only go around 5mph. When you push the pedal down it doesn't start to creep forward until a second or two and when I release my foot off the pedal it kept jumping into park. My tech said that in turtle mode the car is unpredictable. I am not an expert nor an engineer and I believe that any issues, perceived as a safety issue, with this car should be reported to NHTSA. That is one of the main avenues consumers have to report problems so that data can be collected to investigate further. Again NHTSA will determine if it is an issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. This in no way is a means to do an end-run around Lucid.

I am not sure if you have driven your car in turtle mode. Specific to my situation, the car would only go around 5mph. When you push the pedal down it doesn't start to creep forward until a second or two and when I release my foot off the pedal it kept jumping into park. My tech said that in turtle mode the car is unpredictable. I am not an expert nor an engineer and I believe that any issues, perceived as a safety issue, with this car should be reported to NHTSA. That is one of the main avenues consumers have to report problems so that data can be collected to investigate further. Again NHTSA will determine if it is an issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. This in no way is a means to do an end-run around Lucid.
Fair enough!

Lucid encourages reporting to NHTSA, see p.211 in the owner's manual. It doesn't hurt to report because they have access to their database and have the ability to put 2 and 2 together and may find a trend among EV reported problems.

I agree with your concern. Of all the problems that have been reported on the Forum, this is the most serious problem that I see. Victims of this failure are very lucky, and I am surprised that no one has been hurt or killed. I am also surprised, and concerned, that Lucid does not appear to put this problem at the top of their list.
How do you know the 12v and drive motor failure aren't at the top of their list?

Lucid encourages reporting to NHTSA, see p.211 in the owner's manual
That is a federal requirement and is included in all vehicle owners manuals. Check the owners manual of other vehicles you own - should be the exact same wording.

I think the NHTSA waits for some number of reports to come in for the same problem before starting an investigation. Look how long it took them to start looking at Tesla for crashing into emergency vehicles and other objects. That's with collisions, injuries, and deaths. Fortunately, haven't heard of any collisions for Lucid when in turtle or 12V dead condition. If my car suddenly went from 70 to 5 mph and left me trying to get to the shoulder at 5 mph (or dead in the lane), yeah, I'd report that.

How do you know the 12v and drive motor failure aren't at the top of their list?
As I stated, it does not APPEAR this is at the top of their list. I do not know that it isn't. But I based that opinion on the less than enthusiastic, transparent responses that the victims of this failure have received from Lucid. They do not keep them apprised of the issues other than "we are looking into it", or "we are sending engineers from CA or AZ to look at it". That kind of response tells me than they are clueless to what the problem is and are going about a trial-and-error mode to solve the problem. They need to get the drivetrain and battery developers/designers involved (maybe they are) to properly diagnose the problem and fix it.

As I stated, it does not APPEAR this is at the top of their list. I do not know that it isn't. But I based that opinion on the less than enthusiastic, transparent responses that the victims of this failure have received from Lucid. They do not keep them apprised of the issues other than "we are looking into it", or "we are sending engineers from CA or AZ to look at it". That kind of response tells me than they are clueless to what the problem is and are going about a trial-and-error mode to solve the problem. They need to get the drivetrain and battery developers/designers involved (maybe they are) to properly diagnose the problem and fix it.
Lucid sends engineers to the service centers for very trivial issues. I know this since the engineers have looked at my car a couple of times. You cannot conclude that sending engineers means it is not a high priority for Lucis. In fact, just the opposite. When they are still investigating the root cause, I want the engineers there. It would be much worse to just replace components and return the car.

How do we know it is?

That is the lack of transparency. I was supposed to get an update by COB today. It’s past 7:35 EST and I have not heard anything. I will continue to give them the benefit that they are on Pacific time so 8:00 or 9:00 pm EST is reasonable to wait. But, I will say this is the second time they promised an update and did not at least contact me.

I want Lucid to succeed big time. I had a lot of problems with my Model X and I would have supported Tesla, except that they are pompous, rude, and treat customers like it’s our privilege to own one of their cars.

LOL..... I'll gladly take a Pure compared to the piece of shit loaners I got from Hertz! I don't think people can get annoyed. When I had my car serviced at Audi I was given an SUV which was considered comparable to my e-Tron. Sometimes it was an e-Tron and other times it was a Q3. Didn't bother me as it was an Audi and they're all pretty similar across the board. The Pure will be the same, it's not going to have all the bells and whistles of a GT but you'll still feel like you're in a Lucid.

Now, if they make the Sapphire the loaner then I'll be reporting my car issues weekly 😂
But who is to say the Pures won’t have this or the 12v issue 😂

But who is to say the Pures won’t have this or the 12v issue 😂
Who is to say the bridge you take to get to the service center won’t fall in the water?

Bridges have fallen before, no idea why you think they’d get better at building them. 🙄

Who is to say the bridge you take to get to the service center won’t fall in the water?

Bridges have fallen before, no idea why you think they’d get better at building them. 🙄
No worries. My sarcasms won’t affect the stock price.

Lucid sends engineers to the service centers for very trivial issues. I know this since the engineers have looked at my car a couple of times. You cannot conclude that sending engineers means it is not a high priority for Lucis. In fact, just the opposite. When they are still investigating the root cause, I want the engineers there. It would be much worse to just replace components and return the car.
Do we know they're sending people with engineering degrees? In what? Are "tech" and "engineer" interchangeable terms? Just askin...

Do we know they're sending people with engineering degrees? In what? Are "tech" and "engineer" interchangeable terms? Just askin...
For me, although very responsive and knowledgeable, my tech since day one, is a tech and not an engineer. In fact, most of the automated text message with them comes from a company called Dorn’s Body & Paint. I can only assume they got the Lucid contract for service for this region.

Now that production is ramping up quite a bit, that last point is an interesting one to explore. At what point does it make sense for Lucid to start stocking their service centers with loaners? It has to be cheaper, long-term, than offering everyone expensive luxury rentals. Obviously, they can't build 5-6 cars per service center just yet, but once they "catch up" on GTs, maybe, for the places where the most customers are, or the most reported incidents are, I do wonder when they might do such a thing?

Of course, for folks who are hundreds of miles from the nearest service center, rentals will continue to make more sense, since they'd have to get the loaner to you and pick it back up. But take a location like Millbrae, or Goose Island, for instance. I would bet there might be a few loaners available at those locations sometime in the first half of next year.
My contact at Goose Island mentioned you will typically get a Model 3 or some kind of Benz for a loaner, no real near term expectation for getting a Lucid loaner

Ask them to bring their Diploma

My contact at Goose Island mentioned you will typically get a Model 3 or some kind of Benz for a loaner, no real near term expectation for getting a Lucid loaner
As another member suggested, Lucid is likely savings those builds for customers - which seems logical.

Can’t get a Model 3. EVs are not included in the contract with Hertz, ironically.

Back