Drive Settings - HOLD

First_EV

Hello - is there any way to save Drive Settings to HOLD? It seems it is not getting saved and returning back to ROLL when I drive next day. Reason being - once you get used to one pedal driving and don't use brakes, it is easy to forget on slope to use brake to HOLD vehicle, I almost bumped into car behind. I am currently on 2.0.47 version of software. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello - is there any way to save Drive Settings to HOLD? It seems it is not getting saved and returning back to ROLL when I drive next day. Reason being - once you get used to one pedal driving and don't use brakes, it is easy to forget on slope to use brake to HOLD vehicle, I almost bumped into car behind. I am currently on 2.0.47 version of software. Thanks!
It should never switch, though occasionally it does after an update. If it’s not staying on Hold for you please contact customer care and have them check it out.

It should never switch, though occasionally it does after an update. If it’s not staying on Hold for you please contact customer care and have them check it out.
Thank you, I might have updated software in between. I set it again yesterday and see today if it retained in HOLD. Good to know it saves that setting since I don’t want to update every time I drive.

There's currently a bug with the roll. For me, creep mode can't be toggled unless I switch profiles. Then it can be toggled but still kind of does creep. It's not 100% consistent, though, as it'll roll slightly backward or forward in either D or R. I spoke with Customer Care on Wednesday and they said they're already aware of the issue and working on a fix. (If this is the same specific problem you're having...)

Aside from that, for the first 6 months I had the car it reliably maintained my drive settings, so this is not expected behavior.

There's currently a bug with the roll. For me, creep mode can't be toggled unless I switch profiles. Then it can be toggled but still kind of does creep. It's not 100% consistent, though, as it'll roll slightly backward or forward in either D or R. I spoke with Customer Care on Wednesday and they said they're already aware of the issue and working on a fix. (If this is the same specific problem you're having...)

Aside from that, for the first 6 months I had the car it reliably maintained my drive settings, so this is not expected behavior.
Thanks, it did maintain that today. I might have upgraded software in between.

How do you set the drive settings to "Hold" and what is the reason for doing that? Asking because I have no clue and would like to follow best practice. Thanks

How do you set the drive settings to "Hold" and what is the reason for doing that? Asking because I have no clue and would like to follow best practice. Thanks
Hold will basically hold the car in its current position when you aren’t touching any pedals. So even if you are on a hill, say, you do not have to hold onto the brakes at all. The car will sit still until you push down on the accelerator.

ICE cars tend to roll forward when you let go of the brakes, even if you don’t touch the gas. EVs attempt to mimic this behavior in “roll” mode, for the sake of folks who are used to that. But it’s never quite natural in an EV. Thus, I tend to recommend turning on Hold.

Pilot Panel. Settings. Can’t remember the exact heading it’s under.

Hold will basically hold the car in its current position when you aren’t touching any pedals. So even if you are on a hill, say, you do not have to hold onto the brakes at all. The car will sit still until you push down on the accelerator.

ICE cars tend to roll forward when you let go of the brakes, even if you don’t touch the gas. EVs attempt to mimic this behavior in “roll” mode, for the sake of folks who are used to that. But it’s never quite natural in an EV. Thus, I tend to recommend turning on Hold.

Ok, thanks...So that is what I have by default. Whenever I step off the pedal, the car comes to a halt. Was confused if I needed to do something different with the settings.

It's buried in the drive settings where you are given option of hold, creep or roll. I can see not good reason for creep or roll unless you are trying to mimic an ICE with either an automatic transmission or clutch shift respectively. I recently had my car towed because of the roll function which had automatically activated after the .47 update. To me the roll function needs to go away. I was told giving the car roughly 1/2 throttle will overcome the roll which to me seems like a good way to get into trouble.

Ok, thanks...So that is what I have by default. Whenever I step off the pedal, the car comes to a halt. Was confused if I needed to do something different with the settings.
It might looks like car is in HOLD if car is on level, but if you are stopped where road is inclined it will ROLL back or front based on incline. I agree that ROLL needs to be removed. Because with one pedal driving you are used to not stepping on brake. I realized right away and stepped on brake otherwise it would have bumped into car behind.

For my car, placing the car on roll will actually enable the car to roll back at least several feet even though I'm in Drive.
This happens on my drive way which has a minimal incline about 5 degrees or so.
Here's exactly what has happened: car parked in dirveway. I opened the door. Got it. Shifted to Drive with foot on the brake pedal. Let go off the brake. Car rolled back to the other side of the street and only stopped when I stepped on the brake.
I don't know if this is normal.
Was thinking maybe I should use 2 feet as if I was driving a stick shift.

It's buried in the drive settings where you are given option of hold, creep or roll. I can see not good reason for creep or roll unless you are trying to mimic an ICE with either an automatic transmission or clutch shift respectively. I recently had my car towed because of the roll function which had automatically activated after the .47 update. To me the roll function needs to go away. I was told giving the car roughly 1/2 throttle will overcome the roll which to me seems like a good way to get into trouble.
I use hold + creep … when the vehicle is in hold mode, and you tap the accelerator very slightly, the vehicle goes into creep mode. Creep mode is very helpful when you are trying to inch into a tight spot. For me, I want to inch into my garage so I can maximize the space in front of the vehicle while keeping the rear as close to the garage door opening as possible. one thing I did notice though, that when the front sensors detect some thing, the front camera comes on, and you have to manually switch to the rear. And then the moment the front sensors, detect again, the rear goes off, and front camera view comes on. Makes it difficult when you use the position of the door threshold as your parking gauge. I did this in my Tesla. I may have to figure out an easier way for the LUCID.

I use hold + creep … when the vehicle is in hold mode, and you tap the accelerator very slightly, the vehicle goes into creep mode. Creep mode is very helpful when you are trying to inch into a tight spot. For me, I want to inch into my garage so I can maximize the space in front of the vehicle while keeping the rear as close to the garage door opening as possible. one thing I did notice though, that when the front sensors detect some thing, the front camera comes on, and you have to manually switch to the rear. And then the moment the front sensors, detect again, the rear goes off, and front camera view comes on. Makes it difficult when you use the position of the door threshold as your parking gauge. I did this in my Tesla. I may have to figure out an easier way for the LUCID.
I highly recommend installing laser lights on your garage ceiling for this purpose. You’ll see a red pinpoint from the laser on the top of your dash. Once you know what the correct positioning of your car is in the garage, you can adjust the beam to fall on a particular spot on your dash. It’s then a simple matter of pulling in and watching the beam on the top of your dash. You inch in until the beam hits your predetermined spot. Perfect park every time…ok, almost every time.

When we had our garage done by Garage Tek, they threw in this simple unit for free. They used a 2 beam setup so that it‘s effective for both cars on either side of the garage.

I highly recommend installing laser lights on your garage ceiling for this purpose. You’ll see a red pinpoint from the laser on the top of your dash. Once you know what the correct positioning of your car is in the garage, you can adjust the beam to fall on a particular spot on your dash. It’s then a simple matter of pulling in and watching the beam on the top of your dash. You inch in until the beam hits your predetermined spot. Perfect park every time…ok, almost every time.

When we had our garage done by Garage Tek, they threw in this simple unit for free. They used a 2 beam setup so that it‘s effective for both cars on either side of the garage.
Thanks, I did put garage/wheel blocker on floor for now. I think hold plus creep is good combination though it seems creep mode is not allowed in smooth drive mode. Some other people mentioned that I can save settings but not sure yet how to save this combination as profile setting so that every time I drive it is by default.

This is a good description, but I'll add that in icy conditions it would be useful if roll and creep worked without having to touch the pedal to activate it. The torque on any road with ice is often too much for the conditions, which could be handled better with a subtle creep.

Sorry, just realized there are unintended double entendre's here :D

This is a good description, but I'll add that in icy conditions it would be useful if roll and creep worked without having to touch the pedal to activate it. The torque on any road with ice is often too much for the conditions, which could be handled better with a subtle creep.

Sorry, just realized there are unintended double entendre's here :D
I’d add that it would also be good that once creep is enabled that a hard depression of the brake pedal activates hold. My Model S does this. I have had happened now on multiple occasions where I want to come to a stop using regenerative braking, but I under shoot where I would like to stop and just want to move a few feet forward. However, once I tap the accelerator and creep is enabled, the vehicle will not go back into hold until the next acceleration/deceleration event

I set to creep. Use it all the time when I park in my garage. The space is very tight. Also use it in parking lots.

If you drive EV exclusively, best to stick with how EV is driven best long term.
1-Pedal to HOLD (Don’t move car when you are not in accelerator as EV default)
—————————————————————————-
If you want to interchange EV and ICE automatic transmission driving, and not to be bothered with driving style change.
2-Pedals to CREEP (Car will creep in direction of gear when off accelerator)
If you want to have feeling of ICE manual transmission or in neutral gear that car is floating freely.
3-Pedals to ROLL (Roll will give the sensation of an ICE manual transmission with the clutch depressed)

If you drive EV exclusively, best to stick with how EV is driven best long term.
1-Pedal to HOLD (Don’t move car when you are not in accelerator as EV default)
If you want to interchange EV and ICE automatic transmission driving, and not to be bothered with driving style change.
2-Pedals to CREEP (Car will creep in direction of gear when off accelerator)
If you want to have feeling of ICE manual transmission or in neutral gear that car is floating freely.
3-Pedals to ROLL (Roll will give the sensation of an ICE manual transmission with the clutch depressed)
But you can have both hold and creep enabled. Creep is very useful when inching into a tight spot. But in normal driving on the road, hold is very handy.

Back