Drive Settings - HOLD

The roll function kicked in on me in December which caused some confusion. Was actually towed because of circumstances I mentioned earlier. But alas today the roll function vs hold kicked in once again. The setting function had auto-changed for the second time. Noticed it when I was backing out of my drive and the car just wanted to keep on going. Good now.

So if anyone finds their car rolling when the regenerative braking function should be kicking in, check if the settings have changed. I have noticed a few mentions of such circumstances on the forum. Shouldn’t be doing the auto switch and have no idea why it happens. This time there was no update involved.

The roll function kicked in on me in December which caused some confusion. Was actually towed because of circumstances I mentioned earlier. But alas today the roll function vs hold kicked in once again. The setting function had auto-changed for the second time. Noticed it when I was backing out of my drive and the car just wanted to keep on going. Good now.

So if anyone finds their car rolling when the regenerative braking function should be kicking in, check if the settings have changed. I have noticed a few mentions of such circumstances on the forum. Shouldn’t be doing the auto switch and have no idea why it happens. This time there was no update involved.
I'm glad I read this, I thought I did something and was completely confused until now. I was getting off a ramp with a light and a slight decline, I noticed the car moving forward into traffic. I thought something malfunctioned. When I got to the EA chargers, the charge failed, I called Lucid support and they fixed the charging issue, then I mentioned the car is rolling and not holding. Some how the setting changed and I had nothing to do with that.

Let me know if you get any additional info on this and likewise I will let you know as well.

I'm glad I read this, I thought I did something and was completely confused until now. I was getting off a ramp with a light and a slight decline, I noticed the car moving forward into traffic. I thought something malfunctioned. When I got to the EA chargers, the charge failed, I called Lucid support and they fixed the charging issue, then I mentioned the car is rolling and not holding. Some how the setting changed and I had nothing to do with that.

Let me know if you get any additional info on this and likewise I will let you know as well.
It happened to me only one time, where as I mentioned car started moving backwards and I had the setting hold which got changed for whatever reason. That was my first week of the car and I might have had done update of software. Anyway, haven’t happened so far. One thing I notice is sometime it does go in creep, I don’t know what I do but when I press park and drive it goes back in hold. At least when it goes in creep there is message so it is not a big deal but when it starts moving backwards or forward depending on incline and you have hold setting that is kind of problematic.

It happened to me only one time, where as I mentioned car started moving backwards and I had the setting hold which got changed for whatever reason. That was my first week of the car and I might have had done update of software. Anyway, haven’t happened so far. One thing I notice is sometime it does go in creep, I don’t know what I do but when I press park and drive it goes back in hold. At least when it goes in creep there is message so it is not a big deal but when it starts moving backwards or forward depending on incline and you have hold setting that is kind of problematic.
I would check your setting and make sure they are what you want. The hold light comes on any time you are stopped with regenerative braking - that behaves differently than hold when you first put it in Forward or Reverse. Then it requires a little shove on the accelerator and it goes to ready. But if it rolls then, the setting in not in Hold (vs roll). The entire roll function needs to go away in my humble option. It reminds me of the old clutch days on a step hill.

I have one time now, no update involved since I've only had the car a week, had my car spontaneously switch itself to roll. It was an unpleasant surprise to find myself rolling backwards when coming to a stop on a small hill. This also caused me to discover that you can't change the setting unless the car is in park. I wish Lucid would change this.

If it happens again, I'm going to contact customer care.

I have one time now, no update involved since I've only had the car a week, had my car spontaneously switch itself to roll. It was an unpleasant surprise to find myself rolling backwards when coming to a stop on a small hill. This also caused me to discover that you can't change the setting unless the car is in park. I wish Lucid would change this.

If it happens again, I'm going to contact customer care.
Indeed! I have had a spontaneous change over 3 times. Each time it has been awkward and in tight turnaround situations on an incline. Yes you do need to put it in park to change the setting and then it takes a boost of energy from the accelerator to restore forward function, often with a lurch. We set up a new profile a few days ago and the default was roll. It seems to be a needless function that causes dysfunction. I would vote to get rid of the setting.

Hold will basically hold the car in its current position when you aren’t touching any pedals. So even if you are on a hill, say, you do not have to hold onto the brakes at all. The car will sit still until you push down on the accelerator.

ICE cars tend to roll forward when you let go of the brakes, even if you don’t touch the gas. EVs attempt to mimic this behavior in “roll” mode, for the sake of folks who are used to that. But it’s never quite natural in an EV. Thus, I tend to recommend turning on Hold.

Pilot Panel. Settings. Can’t remember the exact heading it’s under.
About vehicle hold: Vehicle hold disengages if the driver presses and releases the brake pedal. That means that if you are stopped going up a hill, apply and release the brakes the car will roll backwards down the hill, possibly into the car behind you. How is this a good idea?

About vehicle hold: Vehicle hold disengages if the driver presses and releases the brake pedal. That means that if you are stopped going up a hill, apply and release the brakes the car will roll backwards down the hill, possibly into the car behind you. How is this a good idea?
Well, the assumption may be that if you purposely applied and let go of the brakes, you actually want to roll down the hill. There are scenarios where I could see you wanting to back out of an intersection, say. Without having to put it into reverse.

I imagine if you were to tap the accelerator in that scenario, hold would re-engage.

If you drive EV exclusively, best to stick with how EV is driven best long term.
1-Pedal to HOLD (Don’t move car when you are not in accelerator as EV default)
—————————————————————————-
If you want to interchange EV and ICE automatic transmission driving, and not to be bothered with driving style change.
2-Pedals to CREEP (Car will creep in direction of gear when off accelerator)
—————————————————————————-
If you want to have feeling of ICE manual transmission or in neutral gear that car is floating freely.
3-Pedals to ROLL (Roll will give the sensation of an ICE manual transmission with the clutch depressed)
This is actually incorrect for the Lucid.

Creep can be used with Hold.. when Hold is active, a tap of the pedal will cause a tiny bit of movement. There will be a warning on the dash that it is engaged.

This is actually incorrect for the Lucid.

Creep can be used with Hold.. when Hold is active, a tap of the pedal will cause a tiny bit of movement. There will be a warning on the dash that it is engaged.

I didnot know you can hold and creep same time. I don’t bother to use creep setting. Anyway, I was making analogy of feeling the effect of IFE automatic or manual transmission in relation of these function nomenclatures.

I didnot know you can hold and creep same time. I don’t bother to use creep setting. Anyway, I was making analogy of feeling the effect of IFE automatic or manual transmission in relation of these function nomenclatures.
I was a former "creeper", but after I got my R1S, and creep wasn't available, I disabled creep on the Air and just got used to feathering the pedal. I am now reformed and have been released into society!

Creep is like an ICE car idling. When in creep you can use the brake to move at your desired speed. Very useful in parking. Use it all the time to get into my garage.

I’d add that it would also be good that once creep is enabled that a hard depression of the brake pedal activates hold. My Model S does this. I have had happened now on multiple occasions where I want to come to a stop using regenerative braking, but I under shoot where I would like to stop and just want to move a few feet forward. However, once I tap the accelerator and creep is enabled, the vehicle will not go back into hold until the next acceleration/deceleration event
Agree - EQE's also do this!

Agree - EQE's also do this!
I gave in and turned off creep. My R1S doesn't have creep at all, so I wanted to make the driving similar for both. I got used to using the pedal to ease into my garage and parking spaces, I do prefer creep, but I didn't want to have the pedal to be different between the vehicles.

I gave in and turned off creep. My R1S doesn't have creep at all, so I wanted to make the driving similar for both. I got used to using the pedal to ease into my garage and parking spaces, I do prefer creep, but I didn't want to have the pedal to be different between the vehicles.

It get some time to change decades long habits. I had to learn from making couple mistakes.

- I got off my F250 stopped on drive gear and forgot I need to put park gear and pull out key. I was on the phone and distracted, I jumped off the truck and then I had chased the truck as it creep into house.

- I got low SOC once, I pulled into gas station to go to the pump and pulling out credit card, then realized I was a fool and people were laughing at me.

I'm still not sure in what situations I would use Creep, other then parking. Would it be useful in highway stop and go driving? In this situation would the car stop itself before hitting the car in front? Still not sure when I would use this feature.

I'm still not sure in what situations I would use Creep, other then parking. Would it be useful in highway stop and go driving? In this situation would the car stop itself before hitting the car in front? Still not sure when I would use this feature.
I have found that ACC with hold setting is good for highway stop and go. The car can/does come to a complete stop behind the vehicle I'm following and apply the hold automatically. Then when that car moves forward, I get a traffic cleared alert and can either hit resume on the left steering wheel toggle or tap the 'gas' pedal to resume ACC.

I have found that ACC with hold setting is good for highway stop and go. The car can/does come to a complete stop behind the vehicle I'm following and apply the hold automatically. Then when that car moves forward, I get a traffic cleared alert and can either hit resume on the left steering wheel toggle or tap the 'gas' pedal to resume ACC.
Thanks. I never thought about using ACC in stop and go. I'll give it a try

I've noticed the auto hold kicks in a bit early when stopping causing a slight jerk, so it's always hard to make smooth stops. Is there any way to fix that without turning it off?

Back