Drive Comparison, GT, Touring, Pure??!

For what it's worth, comparing a GT to a Pure AWD, the Pure felt more nimble, it feels lighter but you can definitely tell the difference in power between a Pure AWD and a GT.

Edit: My personal preference is that the GT feels more planted and therefore a better drive.
I drove Harsha's GT on Sunday and I really did not see much difference vs Pure AWD. It depends on how we drive I guess. I did drive on the surface streets and one 680 tried 80mph.

I drove Harsha's GT on Sunday and I really did not see much difference vs Pure AWD. It depends on how we drive I guess. I did drive on the surface streets and one 680 tried 80mph.
For everyday driving, they are essentially the same. It's when you get into the curves and canyons is where it's different.

For everyday driving, they are essentially the same. It's when you get into the curves and canyons is where it's different.

So I noticed the GT felt harsher and jumped around a bit on some bumpier curvy roads and less willing to rotate (which i kind of describe as feeling heavier), also on some surface streets that had potholes and stuff, you could feel them a lot more in the GT. Both Touring and GT I drove in Sprint mode. But i think this is expected. Car and Driver and Motortrend both mention that the Touring has a softer suspension setup than the Grand Touring. Idk if it's physical springs or just tuning of the adaptive dampers.

@hydbob can you move the GT vs Touring comparison posts to the dedicated thread for that. I'm sorry I mixed up two different discussions.

Moving some stuff here

My DD is a plaid. When I drove the GT I thought it was noticeably quicker than the touring in all driving aspects. I may pick up a GT as speaking with my accountant the GT qualifies for the section 179 ( business use) plus bonus deprication due to GVWR being over 6000 lbs

My DD is a plaid. When I drove the GT I thought it was noticeably quicker than the touring in all driving aspects. I may pick up a GT as speaking with my accountant the GT qualifies for the section 179 ( business use) plus bonus deprication due to GVWR being over 6000 lbs
Don't want to burst your bubbles, but you may want to check again. It's a Sedan, the only way for a sedan to qualify for Section 179 is if the curb weight is more than 6000 pounds. However, you can still depreciate it, just not 80%, about $21k in the first year.

Don't want to burst your bubbles, but you may want to check again. It's a Sedan, the only way for a sedan to qualify for Section 179 is if the curb weight is more than 6000 pounds. However, you can still depreciate it, just not 80%, about $21k in the first year.

Qualifies for all bonus
Weight is over 6000 using gvwr
My accountant actually owes one and it did

qualify. The GT does Pure and Touring don’t

GT gvwr is 6285

Lucid Air Gross Vehicle Weight​

2023 Lucid Air Gross Vehicle Weight is 6283 lbs.

Hence, this vehicle Qualifies for the 6000 Pound or more requirement(Per IRS) and using a combination of Section 179 and Bonus Depreciation you can get 100% Deduction on a vehicle purchase price including Fees and Sales Taxes.

Qualifies for all bonus

GT gvwr is 6285

Hence, this vehicle Qualifies for the 6000 Pound or more requirement(Per IRS) and using a combination of Section 179 and Bonus Depreciation you can get 100% Deduction on a vehicle purchase price including Fees and Sales Taxes.
This article is very wrong, it even tells you to do a 100% bonus when in 2023, you can only do 80%. I'd suggest you ask another accountant if your existing accountant is telling you a yes. A sedan isn't treated the same as an SUV. I just don't want you to get any trouble. Check with another resource. You can do whatever you want until you are audited.

This article is very wrong, it even tells you to do a 100% bonus when in 2023, you can only do 80%. I'd suggest you ask another accountant if your existing accountant is telling you a yes. A sedan isn't treated the same as an SUV. I just don't want you to get any trouble. Check with another resource. You can do whatever you want until you are audited.
All good here. I trust my acct
He deals with a ton of company business vehicles. Thx for the concern though

All good here. I trust my acct
He deals with a ton of company business vehicles. Thx for the concern though
I certainly wish you the best of luck. I'm a CPA, but I do not practice tax law and have been wrong on some occasions. A sedan is not multi-purpose and does not qualify, just like an i7 won't. Your tax, your life, good luck!

I certainly wish you the best of luck. I'm a CPA, but I do not practice tax law and have been wrong on some occasions. A sedan is not multi-purpose and does not qualify, just like an i7 won't. Your tax, your life, good luck!
The tax code is confusing around this, but the general consensus is ANY vehicle over 6k gvwr qualifies. I too looked into this and believe @EXOTIC2 is correct, although it is only 80 percent as you said.

Well before he purchased the GT… he had a Bentley flying spur which on his own irs return also qualified per our discussion last week on the matter. I’m not really concerned.
We will apply for all deductions possible (179 & bonus) and if not, we will go from there at the end of 2024 tax season. 👍
As you know, there is a lot of gray matter in the code in there are very few sedans that weigh in at 6000 GVWR I do appreciate you though letting me know the concerns and they are appreciated.

Last edited:
Well before he purchased the GT… he had a Bentley flying spur which on his own irs return also qualified per our discussion last week on the matter. I’m not really concerned.
We will apply for all deductions possible (179 & bonus) and if not, we will go from there at the end of 2024 tax season. 👍
As you know, there is a lot of gray matter in the code in there are very few sedans that weigh in at 6000 GVWR I do appreciate you though letting me know the concerns and they are appreciated.
Also, are you sure the pure gvwr is not over 6k?

The tax code is confusing around this, but the general consensus is ANY vehicle over 6k gvwr qualifies. I too looked into this and believe @EXOTIC2 is correct, although it is only 80 percent as you said.
Before the existence of EVs, almost all vehicles over 6k is an SUV/Trucks. The way the law is written, anything vehicle with 6000 pounds of curb weight qualifies, but there are exceptions for multi-purpose vehicles, like an SUV. Then it'll qualify based on gross weight. If his accountant is that confident, then it must be. It's the opposite of what mine has said. I choose not to get audited just to save a few dollars.

Before the existence of EVs, almost all vehicles over 6k is an SUV/Trucks. The way the law is written, anything vehicle with 6000 pounds of curb weight qualifies, but there are exceptions for multi-purpose vehicles, like an SUV. Then it'll qualify based on gross weight. If his accountant is that confident, then it must be. It's the opposite of what mine has said. I choose not to get audited just to save a few dollars.
As a caveat, I did make the call to the IRS earlier this week to ask a few questions. They seemed universally confused as I spoke to two different representatives. In the end I confirmed weight and business info. Neither representative even knew what a lucid was. I informed them that it was a heavy 6000 pound sedan.
Their response was well it should qualify for BONUS….hence I’m not too concerned if it does or it doesn’t. There are all kinds of different audits as you should know if a CPA?
This could be classified as a simple easy mistake that their own tax codes aren’t clear on. You either get the BONUS deduction or you don’t , it’s obviously worth submitting
Thx

As a caveat, I did make the call to the IRS earlier this week to ask a few questions. They seemed universally confused as I spoke to two different representatives. In the end I confirmed weight and business info. Neither representative even knew what a lucid was. I informed them that it was a heavy 6000 pound sedan.
Their response was well it should qualify for BONUS….hence I’m not too concerned if it does or it doesn’t. There are all kinds of different audits as you should know if a CPA?
This could be classified as a simple easy mistake that their own tax codes aren’t clear on.
CPA is just a title from my days as an accountant at Big 4 firms. Don't do anything related to the actual accounting work anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by different audits? In any case, you don't want to raise any red flags, that's just me.

CPA is just a title from my days as an accountant at Big 4 firms. Don't do anything related to the actual accounting work anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by different audits? In any case, you don't want to raise any red flags, that's just me.
Understood. That’s why I’m doing my due diligence and documenting all info/ correspondence, It would be great if it wasn’t a gray area and we could get 100% confirmation.
I don’t mind raising red flags in this instance. ((if any should even arise upon submitting the bonus)
I do 100% thank you for the info. Looking at a few GT’s Wednesday. Are you happy with yours?

Qualifies for all bonus

GT gvwr is 6285

To those who are wondering about the difference in terms: GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum weight a vehicle is rated to safely carry, including its own weight and the weight of passengers and cargo. Curb weight, on the other hand, is the weight of the vehicle without any passengers, cargo, or additional load. The GVWR provides a safety limit for the total weight the vehicle can handle, while curb weight gives you an idea of the vehicle's weight when it's empty.

Section 179 of the U.S. tax code allows businesses to deduct the cost of qualifying property, including vehicles, rather than depreciating it over time. For vehicles, the deduction is typically based on the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR must be above 6,000 pounds for a vehicle to qualify for higher depreciation limits under Section 179.

Curb weight is not typically a factor in Section 179 deductions; it's the GVWR that matters, as it represents the maximum weight a vehicle is rated to safely carry. Always consult with a tax professional for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding tax deductions and codes.

I think the 20s look the best to me, and they have the best tires. Michelin sport EVs...PS4S compound on the edges and soft sidewalls to reduce harshness. But i agree with Adnillien. skinny 19s on a 500-800hp car seems like you're leaving a ton of performance on the table especially if you live somewhere that is always warm and never gets snow (CA for example)
I cannot opine on Touring or Pure. Yes, the 20's look the best to me too. My AGT has 19s and I use winter compound tires seasonally. I have driven AGT loaners with the 20s and 21s and found that cornering with them was far better than with the 19s on AS or winter tires. I also found that the ride was better on the 20s and 21s than on the 19s. This is probably due to the much higher psi required for the 19s. I did not get the 19s for range but for the availability of winter compound tires in late 2022. The fact is that summer compound tires and the 20" Michelins are excellent. When driving in freezing temperatures please be mindful of their lack of grip even on dry surfaces, much less slick roads. I will get a set of 20s when Michelin or Nokian winter compound tires are available for Lucids. (I have not checked lately but will before next winter.)

Ordered the GT with 19" all season Pirellis. When spring came I put on a factory set of 21" Pirellis. I really like the 21"s. Keep them at 45 psi. Having recently (Nov.) put the all season 19" back on I can say with confidence = the 21" are better in every way (except of course, cold ).

I believe I read somewhere that you do not get full power and torque on the GT in "Smooth" and "Swift" modes. (I believe limited to ~600hp)
You do get modifications to the steering / damping, but the full power and torque are only available in "Sprint" mode.

Having trouble finding where I saw this. Anyone ?

Back