borski

Grand Magistrate; Referral Code - Q1BTN5Y3
Verified Owner
Cars
Air DE-P, ZR, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
Q1BTN5Y3
My only hesitation is that, when i test drove the GT, it felt noticeably heavier and less nimble than the Touring.
I… have not felt that. The difference is only a couple battery packs; shouldn’t affect how the weight feels very much on an already heavy car.

I can tell you the difference in HP only really feels relevant on the highway, at speed, when trying to pass someone.

I… have not felt that. The difference is only a couple battery packs; shouldn’t affect how the weight feels very much on an already heavy car.

I can tell you the difference in HP only really feels relevant on the highway, at speed, when trying to pass someone.
hmm i did drive them on two different days...but when i drove the GT i was not impressed, it felt like a heavy car and did not feel like 800hp (again demo car limited to 80). I drove the Touring a couple days later, and it felt at least at lower speeds like the car was more reactive to throttle and steering inputs. Maybe I was just used to it by then. Also the GT was on 19s and Touring was on 20s, maybe that made a difference to the steering feel? I can't say it really should as i wasn't pushing it hard enough to chirp the tires in any case.

Maybe I should go back to the showroom and ask them to let me drive both side by side lol

hmm i did drive them on two different days...but when i drove the GT i was not impressed, it felt like a heavy car and did not feel like 800hp (again demo car limited to 80). I drove the Touring a couple days later, and it felt at least at lower speeds like the car was more reactive to throttle and steering inputs. Maybe I was just used to it by then. Also the GT was on 19s and Touring was on 20s, maybe that made a difference to the steering feel? I can't say it really should as i wasn't pushing it hard enough to chirp the tires in any case.

Maybe I should go back to the showroom and ask them to let me drive both side by side lol
So how could you possibly make an assessment knowing the car was software limited to 80? You don’t know if the entire acceleration curve was altered too.

So how could you possibly make an assessment knowing the car was software limited to 80? You don’t know if the entire acceleration curve was altered too.
you very well could be right! I'm not doubting anyone, i'm just giving my experience, and i made it clear that the demo cars are limited to 80

you very well could be right! I'm not doubting anyone, i'm just giving my experience, and i made it clear that the demo cars are limited to 80
For what it's worth, comparing a GT to a Pure AWD, the Pure felt more nimble, it feels lighter but you can definitely tell the difference in power between a Pure AWD and a GT.

Edit: My personal preference is that the GT feels more planted and therefore a better drive.

For what it's worth, comparing a GT to a Pure AWD, the Pure felt more nimble, it feels lighter but you can definitely tell the difference in power between a Pure AWD and a GT.
yup i drove a Pure AWD as well and that felt like the Touring to me. Lighter and more nimble as well compared to the GT.

yup i drove a Pure AWD as well and that felt like the Touring to me. Lighter and more nimble as well compared to the GT.
Would you say that you value the extra range of the GT?(or massaging seats!) That could help you make a decision..

1701722705744.png

alright, i'm heading back to the studio in an hour lmao

Ok just test drove both again. Sales advisor was generous and let me take both on a long test drive some curvy roads knowing I had an order in. So I basically re-affirmed my original thoughts.

The Touring feels significantly more nimble. The throttle response and steering feel more immediate. Pushing down the accelerator gives an audible whack sound whereas in the GT it feels more gradual. up to 80 I slowed down and floored both repeatedly, even my SA was struggling to feel the difference.

We also noted the touring felt more compliant on 20s than the GT on 21s, but sales advisor claimed it was due to the wheels, and yea i can probably buy that.

The slightly dulled response of the GT does make it feel more planted at high speed, I sat at the limiter the whole drive up the freeway and felt like I was going 60. The adjustable backrest will be one thing I’ll miss most of the GT, the touring seats are noticeably looser.

So in the end, I think I’m going to stick with the Touring, but switch to a DDP car

Ok just test drove both again. Sales advisor was generous and let me take both on a long test drive some curvy roads knowing I had an order in. So I basically re-affirmed my original thoughts.

The Touring feels significantly more nimble. The throttle response and steering feel more immediate. Pushing down the accelerator gives an audible whack sound whereas in the GT it feels more gradual. up to 80 I slowed down and floored both repeatedly, even my SA was struggling to feel the difference.

We also noted the touring felt more compliant on 20s than the GT on 21s, but sales advisor claimed it was due to the wheels, and yea i can probably buy that.

The slightly dulled response of the GT does make it feel more planted at high speed, I sat at the limiter the whole drive up the freeway and felt like I was going 60. The adjustable backrest will be one thing I’ll miss most of the GT, the touring seats are noticeably looser.

So in the end, I think I’m going to stick with the Touring, but switch to a DDP car
Fwiw I own a pure but currently have a GT loaner x 1 week. I struggle to find the difference at all in handlibg and power, feels EXACTLY the same to me except when I floored it from a stop to test it out. Otherwise normal driving zero difference, except for whatever reason the GT suspension seemed harsher. Same wheels (19s).

Fwiw I own a pure but currently have a GT loaner x 1 week. I struggle to find the difference at all in handlibg and power, feels EXACTLY the same to me except when I floored it from a stop to test it out. Otherwise normal driving zero difference, except for whatever reason the GT suspension seemed harsher. Same wheels (19s).
I found it fairly noticeable! The GT just seems a little more gradual in its responsiveness. My guess is it’s for safety as having 800hp under a twitchy foot could lead to some sketchy situations! Does your loaner have the 85mph limiter too? Does it feel noticeably faster than your pure AWD in the 0-60 range?

I definitely did feel the GT was harsher too though. If yours are on the same wheels as your pure then it’s definitely not the wheels! My SA said he thinks the 19s and 20s feel similar in terms of harshness and the 21s are much harsher.

I have driven GTs with both 20" and 21" wheels and no limiter. I did not feel any difference in ride quality or handling between the 20" and 21" wheels. If I was buying today, I would probably get the 20" because they handle great and give more margin for potholes and sidewall bubbles. I also drove a pure on 19" wheels before the test drive software was loaded so it was not limited. The weight difference with four fewer battery modules and the metal roof versus glass roof is noticeable. It is very nimble and a lot of fun to drive. The extra horsepower in the GT keeps the low end acceleration about the same because it has more mass to accelerate. In the 70-100mph range, the GT is quicker. I could be happy with eaither but I would still choose the GT. The 19" wheels are easy to break loose on corners or heavy acceleration becasue the all season compound does not have the same grip. I would not get the 19" wheels unless I needed them for winter driving which I do not.

I have driven GTs with both 20" and 21" wheels and no limiter. I did not feel any difference in ride quality or handling between the 20" and 21" wheels. If I was buying today, I would probably get the 20" because they handle great and give more margin for potholes and sidewall bubbles. I also drove a pure on 19" wheels before the test drive software was loaded so it was not limited. The weight difference with four fewer battery modules and the metal roof versus glass roof is noticeable. It is very nimble and a lot of fun to drive. The extra horsepower in the GT keeps the low end acceleration about the same because it has more mass to accelerate. In the 70-100mph range, the GT is quicker. I could be happy with eaither but I would still choose the GT. The 19" wheels are easy to break loose on corners or heavy acceleration becasue the all season compound does not have the same grip. I would not get the 19" wheels unless I needed them for winter driving which I do not.
Or get the 19’s if you really want to maximize range - right?

Or get the 19’s if you really want to maximize range - right?
Yes the 19" has more range but I would not trade performance for range in a car like the Air that has great range already along with incredible handling. Now an a car like Gravity, I will probably choose the longest range wheel combination.

Yes the 19" has more range but I would not trade performance for range in a car like the Air that has great range already along with incredible handling. Now an a car like Gravity, I will probably choose the longest range wheel combination.
True, like you said earlier though, for people that live in a snowy climate, then 19’s are best, unless you want to have two sets of tires/rims. I prefer 19’s, as live in a snowy climate and cheap to get snow tires put on, plus cheaper to replace OEM 19’s too when they wear out. Also - want every bit of range that I can get. 21’s definitely look nice! 🙂

True, like you said earlier though, for people that live in a snowy climate, then 19’s are best, unless you want to have two sets of tires/rims. I prefer 19’s, as live in a snowy climate and cheap to get snow tires put on, plus cheaper to replace OEM 19’s too when they wear out. Also - want every bit of range that I can get. 21’s definitely look nice! 🙂

I think the 20s look the best to me, and they have the best tires. Michelin sport EVs...PS4S compound on the edges and soft sidewalls to reduce harshness. But i agree with Adnillien. skinny 19s on a 500-800hp car seems like you're leaving a ton of performance on the table especially if you live somewhere that is always warm and never gets snow (CA for example)

Back