Does Lucid have a 3rd party loaner program?

Genghis

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT
I took my car in to get service at the Beverly Hills service center yesterday for creaking, seat restore, and connection issues. Originally, they told me that 24-48 hours for the service which I was OK with, and they ordered me a Lyft to take me home.

Today, they called me to tell me that they are working on the car, and that they would call me back end of Thu (3 days) to update me on how long the repairs will take, and how long I would need to leave the car with them. Ok ... So I asked them if I could have a loaner or a rental until I can get my car back because of uncertainty on how long the repairs may take beyond Thu (and my daughter has my other car vacationing with her mom). They said they have no loaners available and they don't have a 3rd party loaner program.

This kind of shocked me. I have owned other luxury brands where if the repairs take longer than expected, I always got a loaner or they would cover a rental with their rental car company partner, especially if it's a brand new car under warranty. I know this sounds entitled, but this is what I'm used to with every other luxury brand I've owned so it stunned me.

I think this is a must if they are selling very expensive cars to a certain customer base that is used to this type of service from other high end luxury brands that they are competing against for this customer base.

1. Is this true across all Lucid service centers or is it specific to each service center like BH?

2. What do you guys think? Not that I can't afford my own rental, but it is a level of customer service and experience.

I got an Enterprise loaner from Costa Mesa Service Center.

In Colorado they set me up with a Hertz rental. Took care of the paperwork and everything. Didn’t pay a dime out of pocket and never saw a bill.

I know some other service centers make you rent the car and then reimburse you. Others have loaners, at least occasionally. But those seem to be in short supply.

Someone else from BH can chime in as to what that specific service center has done in the past.

I took my car in to get service at the Beverly Hills service center yesterday for creaking, seat restore, and connection issues. Originally, they told me that 24-48 hours for the service which I was OK with, and they ordered me a Lyft to take me home.

Today, they called me to tell me that they are working on the car, and that they would call me back end of Thu (3 days) to update me on how long the repairs will take, and how long I would need to leave the car with them. Ok ... So I asked them if I could have a loaner or a rental until I can get my car back because of uncertainty on how long the repairs may take beyond Thu (and my daughter has my other car vacationing with her mom). They said they have no loaners available and they don't have a 3rd party loaner program.

This kind of shocked me. I have owned other luxury brands where if the repairs take longer than expected, I always got a loaner or they would cover a rental with their rental car company partner, especially if it's a brand new car under warranty. I know this sounds entitled, but this is what I'm used to with every other luxury brand I've owned so it stunned me.

I think this is a must if they are selling very expensive cars to a certain customer base that is used to this type of service from other high end luxury brands that they are competing against for this customer base.

1. Is this true across all Lucid service centers or is it specific to each service center like BH?

2. What do you guys think? Not that I can't afford my own rental, but it is a level of customer service and experience.
I got a loaner at BH in late April, but set it up ahead of time because they only had (and I assume still have) a few. They did tell me they have rentals too, having mentioned a possible Genesis G70 if the loaner wasn't available, so I wonder if those are all spoken for too? They should be doing something to get you covered. Did you speak with Aaron?

I still don't quite understand why the BH service center is as small as it is (other than lack of real estate in BH). It's supposed to be their flagship center, the one they opened first. Did they not think they'd have more than a few cars in for service at a time?

My understanding is that there used to be an arrangement with Hertz but that ended. I was told they are in the process of negotiating something with Enterprise but it’s not in place yet (although @Tim-in-CA‘s experience suggests it might be).

In an ideal world, sure, a luxury brand would have loaners available. But we’re also dealing with a fledgling company here, so for now if we have to get our own rentals and get reimbursed I’m ok with it.

In one of my many texts from customer care a rental reimbursement of up to $300/day is quoted. Not sure if this is a blanket policy but, if it is, you can get something quite nice for that. I’m delighted they brought me a loaner yesterday but, if they hadn’t been able to, there are plenty of fun cars on Turo I’d have been happy to try ;)

I got a loaner at BH in late April, but set it up ahead of time because they only had (and I assume still have) a few. They did tell me they have rentals too, having mentioned a possible Genesis G70 if the loaner wasn't available, so I wonder if those are all spoken for too? They should be doing something to get you covered. Did you speak with Aaron?

I still don't quite understand why the BH service center is as small as it is (other than lack of real estate in BH). It's supposed to be their flagship center, the one they opened first. Did they not think they'd have more than a few cars in for service at a time?
Alex and Bryan helped me. Nice guys and super friendly discussing a number of other minor issues. Bryan was the one that told me they didn't have a 3rd party loaner program, and he said he would "send it up" and was apologetic. He said he would put me in line for a loaner but told me realistically, the repair could be done by the time a loaner might be available hinting there may be a long line of people waiting for loaners 🤷

My understanding is that there used to be an arrangement with Hertz but that ended. I was told they are in the process of negotiating something with Enterprise but it’s not in place yet (although @Tim-in-CA‘s experience suggests it might be).

In an ideal world, sure, a luxury brand would have loaners available. But we’re also dealing with a fledgling company here, so for now if we have to get our own rentals and get reimbursed I’m ok with it.

In one of my many texts from customer care a rental reimbursement of up to $300/day is quoted. Not sure if this is a blanket policy but, if it is, you can get something quite nice for that. I’m delighted they brought me a loaner yesterday but, if they hadn’t been able to, there are plenty of fun cars on Turo I’d have been happy to try ;)
$300 a day? I've only seen and been told to keep it below $100 per day. Who did you bribe? The options for $300 a day in Huntsville could cover equally nice cars as the Lucid.

I went back through my texts. Here's the one I was recalling [my emphasis added] which adds a bit of clarity:

Hello Mr. Spin Doctor,

The rental reimbursement covers rentals of up to $300/day for trip interruption. I am looking into the the tow and following up with them.

In my case I was stranded up in NH and had to get back to DC (with my wife, two friends, a dog and a fair bit of luggage). So $300 for 'trip interruption' makes sense given the one-way rental fee.

Good lawd! $300/day is a bit excessive but if that was the case, I too would be looking on Turo! I'm thinking $80-120/day is reasonable to get a premium car from an established rental company. If the repairs go past this weekend, I wonder if I should just get a rental on my own and fight the battle after since they technically don't have a rental program. Thoughts?

They have rental arrangements set up. Talk to Aaron and he will set you straight. Loaners are first come first serve. Last service I scheduled I told them ahead of time like @Neurio that I wanted a loaner and not to scheduled me until they had one. No big deal, they also kept my car for 2 weeks and worked on other cars, no sweat off my back either.

They have rental arrangements set up. Talk to Aaron and he will set you straight. Loaners are first come first serve. Last service I scheduled I told them ahead of time like @Neurio that I wanted a loaner and not to scheduled me until they had one. No big deal, they also kept my car for 2 weeks and worked on other cars, no sweat off my back either.
Thanks @hydbob and @Neurio. I'll wait until Thu and hope it's either repaired (🤞) or get a better idea of how long before I talk to Aaron (never met him) about getting a rental as Alex and Bryan helped me both times I went in.

Thanks @hydbob and @Neurio. I'll wait until Thu and hope it's either repaired (🤞) or get a better idea of how long before I talk to Aaron (never met him) about getting a rental as Alex and Bryan helped me both times I went in.
Aaron is the service manager for BH - he's the top dog there. Good luck!

Good lawd! $300/day is a bit excessive but if that was the case, I too would be looking on Turo! I'm thinking $80-120/day is reasonable to get a premium car from an established rental company. If the repairs go past this weekend, I wonder if I should just get a rental on my own and fight the battle after since they technically don't have a rental program. Thoughts?
After my accident(12 weeks ago) Enterprise has a relationship with my insurance company(PURE) which allows me $15,000 total rental car fee while my car is being repaired. Enterprise was charging $150 a day for a Tesla Model S, $500 a day for a Porsche 911 Carrera convertible and $1,000 a day for an Audi R8.

Since I did not know how long it will take to fix my car(I was told it will finally be delivered back to me in about 1 more week-total 13 weeks) I decided to take the Polestar 2 for $94 a day. My impression of the Polestar "Eh it will get you from point A to point B" and was reliable for the time that I have had it so far.

Aaron is the service manager for BH - he's the top dog there. Good luck!
An update on the BH service center, I spoke with Aaron today as the car was ready as they fixed the creaking noise and seat restore😀 Aaron confirmed that they only have 6 loaners to service 360 area owners. Their previous 3rd party loaner/rental program ended recently so they do NOT offer it in BH. He is talking to the area service manager about expanding the loaner fleet for BH and raising the issue about having a 3rd party program.

My advice to fellow area owners, if you're taking your car in for extended service, call ahead to make sure they have a loaner available or work out a deal for a rental reimbursement in advance for the time your car is in service like @hydbob

Yikes! There are going to be a lot of upset owners if there's only 1 loaner for every 60 owners (and growing).

Yikes! There are going to be a lot of upset owners if there's only 1 loaner for every 60 owners (and growing).
I would think that the ratio (6 for 360 owners) would be fine if the universe were sufficiently large for statistics to apply. But for cars, especially new manufacturer cars, the usage is most likely episodic with recalls, missing parts, etc. burdening the service center. But, as customers for a luxury automobile, it shouldn't be our problem. The car company should have available reasonable loaner alternatives and provide them to the customer whether that is a Lucid or another company's car and whether they are vehicles owned by Lucid or provided by a rental company under contract to Lucid.

FWIW Lucid Millbrae confirmed they have a contracted arrangement with Enterprise with a $100/day cap.

One annoying/suboptimal thing about this is that you're unable to help out the service department with selecting a car since their discount isn't disclosed publicly, and $100/day (according to the helpful main office associate I spoke with) would, at that very moment in time based on publicly priced available inventory, get me into an MB GLB or "a 2020 Land Rover Discovery" which I wasn't aware you could even rent in 2024. Meaning, they just kinda gotta take a stab at what they think you may like from one single branch rather than letting you find something yourself from any branch, which (if like me) you had an 8-day road trip planned, kinda makes vehicle selection an important thing.

Oh and ironically, Enterprise Oakland just got its first Air, but it's priced out 3x over the Lucid daily rate. Given that my car has now been in for extended (week+) service appointments 4x in the 5 months I've had it, I think it may be worth taking some of that extra unsold inventory and upping that 1:60 loaner:eek:wner ratio.

Back