Discussion on 20” wheels

Can an auto manufacturer "legally" ship cars with summer tires to a wintery (New England) location?
Can the summer tires be safely used to drive out of New England to a warmer climate?
I imagine "it depends" 🤔

These were on TireRack

1669776944754.png

TireRack: Compare Summer to All Season, same load rating

Lucid Tires.jpg

Pilot All Season tires seems to be not EV tuned. I am not sure if we can pick that tire for Lucid. Lucid will be my first EV car so I don't know the differences between EV tuned vs regular tires

Not totally sure but I would guess that an EV tire is designed to handle the huge weight of EVs such as like 5000-6000 pounds or more.

a couple months ago, we had a few DPs where the 21s were easily getting flats and bulges. if i remember correctly, someone mentioned that a tech told him that 21s have been more susceptible to those issues compared to the 19s (based on what the tech was seeing in the field). he gave a general ratio of 19" incidents vs 21" incidents.

now that the 20s have been out for a bit, i was wondering if anyone with the 20" has personally experienced the same issues, or if someone with connections with senior techs can help us get some insight to see if the 20s are having the same issues as the 21s. trying to see where on the spectrum between 19 and 21s does the 20 lie. thanks!

a couple months ago, we had a few DPs where the 21s were easily getting flats and bulges. if i remember correctly, someone mentioned that a tech told him that 21s have been more susceptible to those issues compared to the 19s (based on what the tech was seeing in the field). he gave a general ratio of 19" incidents vs 21" incidents.

now that the 20s have been out for a bit, i was wondering if anyone with the 20" has personally experienced the same issues, or if someone with connections with senior techs can help us get some insight to see if the 20s are having the same issues as the 21s. trying to see where on the spectrum between 19 and 21s does the 20 lie. thanks!
The 20s are produced by Michelin, and the 19s and 21s are Pirelli, so it’s likely that it was just the one Pirelli 21” tire model that was having issue.

Fwiw, I have both and haven’t had a bulge in any of the 8. 🤷‍♂️

If the 20s are being delivered, it's only very recently. Does anyone have them that can speak to their performance?

The 20s are produced by Michelin, and the 19s and 21s are Pirelli, so it’s likely that it was just the one Pirelli 21” tire model that was having issue.

Fwiw, I have both and haven’t had a bulge in any of the 8. 🤷‍♂️
hopefully it's a michelin vs pirelli thing like you said. doesn't help that lucid is such a heavy car. but the fact that the tech from the old post gave OP a substantial ratio of 21 vs 19 issues, i would be interested in getting an updated perspective on the 20s from the field techs. but honestly, seems like most issues from those old posts weren't from CA, so maybe i have nothing to really worry about 😅

If the 20s are being delivered, it's only very recently. Does anyone have them that can speak to their performance?
I just posted first time recently, with a picture in another thread.

I personally think that for most real world and highway driving, the 20 is excellent, well balanced, with more than enough comfort while maintaining road feel.
To give you some perspective, I upgraded to the Lucid from an older M3 that I drove aggressively at times... and this is my first EV.
When I first made the reservation, it was down to Lucid Air, M5 Competition, M5 CS, or a Taycan.
Two weeks into ownership I'm very satisfied with my decision! I'll add no car is perfect, and my current biggest gripe from a driving standpoint is I hope in the future they'll offer the Sapphire spoiler to others, as well upgrade options for the ceramic brakes.
Software updates (Android auto and split screen utilization hello Lucid mgmt *cough *cough) will take care of the rest!!
Sorry for the tangent

I’m starting this thread so people can add their thoughts and what they know about the 20” wheels supposedly coming in Q2.
At the moment, before I confirm my order is that I’m leaning towards 20” because I like the look of the wheels and I assume the EPA numbers hopefully will be in the middle of the 19” and 21” numbers.
Anyone have any know facts about the 20”, tires, handling etc?
Thanks in advance.
I took the GT on a very spirited test drive in September. Traction was excellent. I made a right turn, stomped on the gas pedal but could not break the tires loose. My daughter did a series of "S"s and could not break them loose, either. She used to work as a design engineer with Daimler-Chrysler. I ordered a Touring with 20" wheels. Hope it arrives this year so I can get that tax credit.

If we're talking about performance, I assume this is in the context of track days/quarter mile time/0-100-0 that kind of thing? I haven't seen any data yet.
My butt dyno says they're totally adequate, but I don't have any numbers to back it up.

I'm scheduled to take deliver tomorrow (in Wisconsin) of my AGT with 20" wheels. In a last ditch effort to see if there was anything new on Tire Rack for 20" winter tires, I did a search this afternoon. And much to my pleasant surprise, they are now listing Michelin X-Ice as compatible (inserting 2023 as the model year). Discount tire (which I believe is now Tire Rack's parent company) does not list this. Anyone purchase the X-Ice for the 20" wheels yet?

1670783732646.png

I own X-Ice for 19" wheels, and don't like the way they feel. They are very soft and mooshy feeling. Alas, the tread seems to last _forever_, so they're going back on my AGT tomorrow.

Back