Discussion on 20” wheels

Is the Alpin an all-season? Would it work well in midwest ice/snow?
The Alpin is a winter compound tire and is designed for optimal traction for low-temperature operation and slippery surfaces.

Does it make a huge difference using summer tires vs. all-seasons somewhere like the bay area? It can dip to around the 30s here in winter overnight, but we don't get snow or anything like that.
Temperatures below 40 or so degrees harden summer compound tires and cause them to lose traction more easily even on dry surfaces. Just be aware of your traction limits when the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

Does it make a huge difference using summer tires vs. all-seasons somewhere like the bay area? It can dip to around the 30s here in winter overnight, but we don't get snow or anything like that.
You just wouldn't want to drive into Tahoe in the winter with summer-only tires as they can be damaged by driving below 40F. I ran them year-round on a daily driver for 5 years and did notice a loss in traction with prolonged bay area temps in the 40-50F range.

You just wouldn't want to drive into Tahoe in the winter with summer-only tires as they can be damaged by driving below 40F. I ran them year-round on a daily driver for 5 years and did notice a loss in traction with prolonged bay area temps in the 40-50F range.
does it regain traction when the temperature rises? curious to know if i should order the 19" right away when i get it or if i can wait till winter.

does it regain traction when the temperature rises? curious to know if i should order the 19" right away when i get it or if i can wait till winter.
Yes, summer only tires are fine once they get warmed up again. It's only at temps below about 40F that they can be permanently damaged (cracks).

Yes, summer only tires are fine once they get warmed up again. It's only at temps below about 40F that they can be permanently damaged (cracks).
stupid question - it's okay to leave the car on those 21" wheels in winter as long as you're not driving it, right? the weight of the car is not going to make it develop cracks near freezing temps, right?

stupid question - it's okay to leave the car on those 21" wheels in winter as long as you're not driving it, right? the weight of the car is not going to make it develop cracks near freezing temps, right?
Michelin's care guide says that summer tires on a car stored for a month or more over winter should be removed or the car jacked up to prevent damage (page 18). Mine did flat spot a bit when not driven for a month, but they rounded back out after 20 minutes on the freeway. Tire rack says that summer tires are OK stored down to 20F as long as they are allowed to warm to 40F before driving. https://dcadprod.azureedge.net/b2c-...er-s-manual-warranty-mdw41156-august-2021.pdf

Overall, do you feel that Sonoma County would be an acceptable climate for the 21s? I wouldn’t be driving to Tahoe with it. I don’t think we have too many days on the 30s.

Overall, do you feel that Sonoma County would be an acceptable climate for the 21s? I wouldn’t be driving to Tahoe with it. I don’t think we have too many days on the 30s.
I would think you'd be OK. Maybe take a different car on the few coldest days, or drive very carefully. The tires do feel glassy at low temps.

I would think you'd be OK. Maybe take a different car on the few coldest days, or drive very carefully. The tires do feel glassy at low temps.
That seems reasonable, thanks. I never really put it together, but my Panamera GTS with 21s doesn’t perform as well when it’s cold.

I've seen a number of posts saying there are no all season tires available for the 20" wheels on the Air Touring. As I've been trying to decide on wheels to finalize my AT order, I checked Tire Rack. If I specify a 2023 Air, I see a 20" tire size suggested. There's a couple of all season tire options: Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 or Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Sizes match what the Lucid configurator lists for tire size that comes with the 20" wheels.

Lucid just called me as reminder to finalize my order. They said 19" will cost $3700 to buy separately. I asked how much they will charge to replace the wheels and she said they won't do that unless we bought the extra wheels from them, which is odd as I'm certain we've had people here buy wheels already from other Lucid owners.

I've seen a number of posts saying there are no all season tires available for the 20" wheels on the Air Touring. As I've been trying to decide on wheels to finalize my AT order, I checked Tire Rack. If I specify a 2023 Air, I see a 20" tire size suggested. There's a couple of all season tire options: Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 or Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Sizes match what the Lucid configurator lists for tire size that comes with the 20" wheels.
Check the load rating too.

Got an update from my SA. He didn't really answer my question except that he said that the tires are specifically made for Lucid.
My guess is perhaps those 20" all season will work but won't have the quieting technology.

My AGT with 20" wheels should be arriving in the next week or two. I've not seen separate tire offerings for the lucid 20" tire--perhaps because it is still too new. After waiting for almost a year, I figured that by now (toward the end of 4th Qtr 2022), Lucid would have at least one sanctioned all season radial or winter tire alternative for the 20" wheels. My plan was/is to use the stock 20" wheels as my winter set and go aftermarket with a customized 20" or 21" setup in the next year or two--something similar to what I did with my Model S in 2013. With snow on the ground now (upper Midwest), not sure if my plan will work unless I let my AGT sit this winter in the garage and try again next year when hopefully more all-season/winter tire selections will be available.

Notwithstanding the availability of separate tire selections for the stock 20" wheels, I do see aftermarket 20" tire/wheel combos for the Lucid (https://evsportline.com/products/ts5-lucid-air-20-inch-wheel-and-winter-tire-package-set-of-4), where they list Michelin CrossClimate2 (All Weather Snow Rated) Tires and Pirelli Sottozero 3 Winter Tires as two alternatives for the Lucid. Presumably, they've checked the load bearing capacity of the tires. I will likely do the homework later this week to confirm, but would welcome input from others who have assembled the relevant data or have other suggestions.

My AGT with 20" wheels should be arriving in the next week or two. I've not seen separate tire offerings for the lucid 20" tire--perhaps because it is still too new. After waiting for almost a year, I figured that by now (toward the end of 4th Qtr 2022), Lucid would have at least one sanctioned all season radial or winter tire alternative for the 20" wheels. My plan was/is to use the stock 20" wheels as my winter set and go aftermarket with a customized 20" or 21" setup in the next year or two--something similar to what I did with my Model S in 2013. With snow on the ground now (upper Midwest), not sure if my plan will work unless I let my AGT sit this winter in the garage and try again next year when hopefully more all-season/winter tire selections will be available.

Notwithstanding the availability of separate tire selections for the stock 20" wheels, I do see aftermarket 20" tire/wheel combos for the Lucid (https://evsportline.com/products/ts5-lucid-air-20-inch-wheel-and-winter-tire-package-set-of-4), where they list Michelin CrossClimate2 (All Weather Snow Rated) Tires and Pirelli Sottozero 3 Winter Tires as two alternatives for the Lucid. Presumably, they've checked the load bearing capacity of the tires. I will likely do the homework later this week to confirm, but would welcome input from others who have assembled the relevant data or have other suggestions.
Those 20” wheels from EVSportline look like a nice option. Going to check the reviews of the Michelin vs Perelli’s for winter. Only issue I can see is that mounting may possibly require some tweaking of sensors…not positive, but thought I heard that was a thing.

I too am upper Midwest, and spec'd the 20"s -- just because they look so good. Because of my Touring config I'm likely not to see the car until 2Q23. According to my SA, by snow season '23 (Dec) there will very likely be a 20" all-weather and snow tire

I too am upper Midwest, and spec'd the 20"s -- just because they look so good. Because of my Touring config I'm likely not to see the car until 2Q23. According to my SA, by snow season '23 (Dec) there will very likely be a 20" all-weather and snow tire
Does anyone actually have information as to when the stealth 20’s will start going on customer’s cars, and when the stealth trim will be ready for production?

Back