Discussion on 20” wheels

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
I’m starting this thread so people can add their thoughts and what they know about the 20” wheels supposedly coming in Q2.
At the moment, before I confirm my order is that I’m leaning towards 20” because I like the look of the wheels and I assume the EPA numbers hopefully will be in the middle of the 19” and 21” numbers.
Anyone have any know facts about the 20”, tires, handling etc?
Thanks in advance.

My thoughts exactly, however if it means waiting another few months for delivery I’ll suffer with the 21s

I rather wait a little while. In the grand scheme of things another month or 2 is ok. Plus they will make the car better and less bugs.

• I drove both the 19’s and 21’s on a pair of AGTs this week and would expect the 20’s to be an excellent balance.
  • The 21” wheels are very communicative in terms of road feel without bring fatiguing. They look excellent too. I took both sets over a rough patch of the 101 near San Mateo/Burlingame/Millbrae to test them out, as well as side roads with plenty of potholes.
  • The 19” wheels were a surprise to me. The moment I started moving the car it felt more subdued without being disconnected. At no point did I wonder what the car was doing, but it was akin to the volume on the stereo going down a few notches. No loss of detail, just quieter and a bit more relaxing.
  • I’d think the 20“ wheels will be a nice middle ground where you get more road feel than the 19’s but a smoother ride than the 21’s. You can’t go wrong with any of the current wheel sizes though, so it is mostly down to looks and range.

My thoughts exactly, however if it means waiting another few months for delivery I’ll suffer with the 21s

“Suffer” haha. These things ride so well

Following. I have 20's on my order as well as we get some big potholes here in winter.

I took delivery of my 2022 Model S w/21's a couple of weeks ago but had to immediately order a set of 19's as I couldn't find all season tires that would fit correctly, which really surprised me. Since then, every time I hit one of the big potholes I think about how a 21" wheel could easily be damaged. 19's don't fill out the wheel well enough and 20's seem to be the sweet spot for snowy climates.

I really like the 20" wheels, I think I will take @hydbob's suggestion and get the 20" wheels, keep the rims and replace the tire come winter time (if I get the my Touring before Winter).

I really like the 20" wheels, I think I will take @hydbob's suggestion and get the 20" wheels, keep the rims and replace the tire come winter time (if I get the my Touring before Winter).
We used to live in the northeast (NH and MA). So I always had a second pair of wheels and tires for snow. Now that we live in Atlanta, no more need for snows for us.
I do like the look of the 20”.

I just checked and winter tires are all that expensive (in the grand scheme of Lucid costs), so I might just buy a separate set for winter.

I read the 21” wheels with Pirelli tires don’t perform well below 45 degrees and warranty is invalidated. Is the same true for the tires on the 20” wheels? Any feedback on how they ride?

I read the 21” wheels with Pirelli tires don’t perform well below 45 degrees and warranty is invalidated. Is the same true for the tires on the 20” wheels? Any feedback on how they ride?
Yes, the only all-season tires are the 19”.

Summer-only tires get glassy below 45F and can be physical damaged by driving at lower temperatures. Looks like the 20's will come with summer only tires. On the plus side they'll have better grip in rain than all season.

I also do like the looks of the 20" tires more but concerned with snow driving. Touring comes with the 20" but practicality wise 19" would be better for snow and have more tire options? From what Im reading snow tires arent available for 20" and 21"?

Tire rack lists a few snow tires for the 20" size (245-265 40 20). More are shown for 19". A couple for 21" wheels if you stick to 245 front and rear.

I originally selected the 20" wheels, but since they come with summer tires, I had to reconsider the 19's that are all season, plus the smoother ride. So, 19's it is.

I wonder how much Pure will have to add to get 20" wheels? I'm guessing around $2000?

My experience with all-season, summer, and winter compound tires is that all-seasons are a tolerable compromise, but sub-optimal. Sure they are more efficient and more convenient and have a generally smoother, quieter ride, but stopping and cornering are compromised. I gather from comments of those who have driven the AGT on both AS and summer tires that the 19's with AS's are a sensible choice for the AGT. The fact is that winter compound tires just plain have better cold-weather traction. It is that extra few feet trying to stop on icy or packed snow surfaces or climb a snowy hill that are the best reasons to run winter tires. Is it worth the time and money to have two sets? To me, it was worth it on my cars over the past 20 or so years. I never got more than a few seasons from my winter tires when using them from November to March, so about 15k miles. Of course, the summer tires work best above about 40 degrees and generally only gave me about 15-20k miles.

• I drove both the 19’s and 21’s on a pair of AGTs this week and would expect the 20’s to be an excellent balance.
  • The 21” wheels are very communicative in terms of road feel without bring fatiguing. They look excellent too. I took both sets over a rough patch of the 101 near San Mateo/Burlingame/Millbrae to test them out, as well as side roads with plenty of potholes.
  • The 19” wheels were a surprise to me. The moment I started moving the car it felt more subdued without being disconnected. At no point did I wonder what the car was doing, but it was akin to the volume on the stereo going down a few notches. No loss of detail, just quieter and a bit more relaxing.
  • I’d think the 20“ wheels will be a nice middle ground where you get more road feel than the 19’s but a smoother ride than the 21’s. You can’t go wrong with any of the current wheel sizes though, so it is mostly down to looks and range.
TireRack shows Sottozeros for the Lucid 19" wheels, so for those of us in colder climates, the 19's seem a reasonable option, assuming that their stopping distance is shorter than the Edmunds measurement of 127'--a big assumption. We could get a set of Michelin Alpins for the 20's, which I believe are fitted with Michelin PS4's from the factory. Have not finalized my order and I am grappling with the choice between 19's and 20's given the stopping distance concern of the 19's. Both wheel designs look fine to me, it is just the stopping distance of the 49 psi 19" tires about which I am concerned.

Does it make a huge difference using summer tires vs. all-seasons somewhere like the bay area? It can dip to around the 30s here in winter overnight, but we don't get snow or anything like that.

Is the Alpin an all-season? Would it work well in midwest ice/snow?
TireRack shows Sottozeros for the Lucid 19" wheels, so for those of us in colder climates, the 19's seem a reasonable option, assuming that their stopping distance is shorter than the Edmunds measurement of 127'--a big assumption. We could get a set of Michelin Alpins for the 20's, which I believe are fitted with Michelin PS4's from the factory. Have not finalized my order and I am grappling with the choice between 19's and 20's given the stopping distance concern of the 19's. Both wheel designs look fine to me, it is just the stopping distance of the 49 psi 19" tires about which I am concerned

Back