cracked windshield. Anyone else have to deal with this yet

SWIFTAR

Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
On the way home from dealer picked up a rock for a small crack. have made claim with insurance, but not yet found a place to replace. With the huge glass canopy - bet it is expensive. Anyone else face this yet? Advice?

On the way home from dealer picked up a rock for a small crack. have made claim with insurance, but not yet found a place to replace. With the huge glass canopy - bet it is expensive. Anyone else face this yet? Advice?
Sadly, I have gone through this. You have to go through Lucid service, as no one else sells the glass. $2,500. I also wouldn't trust anyone else with it other than them anyway.

In some areas Lucid has outsourced the installation to a local glass company that has been specifically trained on the installation. In Phoenix it is K&B Auto Glass. We still coordinate through the service center since K&B does the install at the service center and then Lucid does the ADAS recalibration that is required.

I was quoted $3k for my Pure (small windshield). As far as trusting other companies - a windshield is a windshield and most modern cars have electronics that need calibrating and the local shops seem to do those fine.

a windshield is a windshield and most modern cars have electronics that need calibrating and the local shops seem to do those fine.
Can’t speak to the metal roof, but for the glass roof that is definitely not true. *That* windshield is not just a windshield.

Sadly, I have gone through this. You have to go through Lucid service, as no one else sells the glass. $2,500. I also wouldn't trust anyone else with it other than them anyway.
Wow! $2,500??? I had to replace the cracked windshield on my AGT last year and it cost $3,700. Insurance paid for it and I had it done at the Seattle Service Center. I am envious that you paid so much less.

In some areas Lucid has outsourced the installation to a local glass company that has been specifically trained on the installation. In Phoenix it is K&B Auto Glass. We still coordinate through the service center since K&B does the install at the service center and then Lucid does the ADAS recalibration that is required.

Same in Florida, except that I don't know the contracted installer here. But they do it at the Lucid Service Center.

Wow! $2,500??? I had to replace the cracked windshield on my AGT last year and it cost $3,700. Insurance paid for it and I had it done at the Seattle Service Center. I am envious that you paid so much less.

We're on our third windshield, with Lucid paying for both replacements under warranty. The work invoice I saw for the second one showed $2100 as the internal billing amount. I wonder if these prices vary based on the subcontracted installer?

hope OP doesn't mind me asking here > after my recent roadtrip, i noticed a small chip on my windshield (less than half a inch). has anyone used one of those windshield repair kits successfully or does it require a professional visit?

hope OP doesn't mind me asking here > after my recent roadtrip, i noticed a small chip on my windshield (less than half a inch). has anyone used one of those windshield repair kits successfully or does it require a professional visit?
Safelite can fix the chips, and my insurance has always covered that for free.

I have used one of the kits on multiple cars including the Lucid with very good results. They are inexpensive and worth a try, if you are not happy afterwards file an insurance claim and have the windshield replaced.

Safelite can fix the chips, and my insurance has always covered that for free.
i'm sure my insurance is looking for reasons to raise my rates. i would rather fix it myself if possible than go through insurance.
I have used one of the kits on multiple cars including the Lucid with very good results. They are inexpensive and worth a try, if you are not happy afterwards file an insurance claim and have the windshield replaced.
which brand did you try on Lucid with good results?

i'm sure my insurance is looking for reasons to raise my rates. i would rather fix it myself if possible than go through insurance.

which brand did you try on Lucid with good results?
I think all of the kits are about the same. Under pressure they inject a sort of adhesive into the space between the windshield laminations. I repaired the windshield on my 1987 Mercedes 300SDL in 1990; it is still holding up after 34 years. Go ahead and try it, you have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, you can then go to the professionals. Good luck.

Purchased and installed by Lucid Service in Seattle. I have USAA and was only responsible for the deductible which I believe was 200$.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241014-224726.webp
    Screenshot_20241014-224726.webp
    12 KB · Views: 44
We're on our third windshield, with Lucid paying for both replacements under warranty. The work invoice I saw for the second one showed $2100 as the internal billing amount. I wonder if these prices vary based on the subcontracted installer?
How come Lucid picked up the tab for the windshield repair? I recently took my car in for service and on pickup day I noticed a crack that wasn't there. The service manager was quite nasty with me and refused to cover the windshield replacement. Their intake form for when they took my car in shows that they also did not see a crack when taking my car. Please advise.

How come Lucid picked up the tab for the windshield repair? I recently took my car in for service and on pickup day I noticed a crack that wasn't there. The service manager was quite nasty with me and refused to cover the windshield replacement. Their intake form for when they took my car in shows that they also did not see a crack when taking my car. Please advise.
They likely cracked it. Same thing happened with mine, where the crack started underneath the bow. Since it was clear that I could not have impacted the glass there, they replaced it for free.

They likely cracked it. Same thing happened with mine, where the crack started underneath the bow. Since it was clear that I could not have impacted the glass there, they replaced it for free.
Not sure why my particular service manager is digging his heels in! So frustrating...

Not sure why my particular service manager is digging his heels in! So frustrating...
To be clear, I meant they likely cracked the other poster’s. I know nothing about your situation; mine started directly under the bow, so it was very easy and obvious to tell it could not have been impact from me.

Back