Repair Costs

Wonder why our insurance policy premiums are doubling every year? It’s across the entire automotive landscape unfortunately.

I've got a BMW i3 that took a front fender bump in the parking lot in Dec. $12.5k of damage because all of those little clips broke and so they needed to order in new headlights, new hood, bumper, recalibrate everything, etc. etc.

Don’t let your insurance company bully you.
Never heard of insurance company doing that😎.
Want to hear another story?
My old insurance company counted the glass rock chip repairs against my records without letting me know. I only found out when I talked with the agent.
Had I known this, I’d have paid out of pocket for these minor things.

Never heard of insurance company doing that😎.
Want to hear another story?
My old insurance company counted the glass rock chip repairs against my records without letting me know. I only found out when I talked with the agent.
Had I known this, I’d have paid out of pocket for these minor things.
I learned that lesson a long time ago. Never let them pay for anything you can possibly pay for out of pocket. You'll always regret it later, even if they assure you otherwise.

Thanks for the notes! I wasn't aware of the 'comprehensive coverage' - being in play for a claim like this? This is constructive for this topic.
What's being missed by the majority of the comments is - that these exorbitant repair costs have a direct impact on every Lucid owners insurance policies. Save the braggadocio comments - really not appropriate here. Additionally what should be of importance is to build a car that can be serviceable without having to replace panels. Stuff happens - all part of owning a vehicle.

If Lucid built a home, and you incurred a cracked window - the repair estimate would include not just replacing the window, but also the sills, trim, adjacent exterior & interior walls, insulation, window treatments and possibly adjacent windows, etc....plug in your comments like: "because the house was made by a new company, that doesn't stock parts" and "its a luxury brand so get used to it" "all cars are being manufactured this way" are all as absurd comments.

I have priced a windshield replacement (Pure so metal roof). The authorized Lucid body shop wants $3k and three days to do the windshield. The windshield itself, from Lucid, is around $600 (which is reasonable).

The independent shop I normally use quoted $1k but then could not get the windshield from Lucid.

While I know using a shop not approved by Lucid does risk that they can not do a Lucid windshield, I am comfortable using them (and in the end the risk is on me). This is just one reason insurance premiums are so high on these cars. It also does not bode well for future repair costs for every day repairs (suspension, brakes, hvac, etc.)

Does anyone know how these repairs are handled in Massachusetts where, unlike NYS , automobiles are covered under right-to-repair laws?

For every new car these days all the fancy headlight, tail lights, brake lights, ADAS features are expensive parts to replace in what looks like minor damage.

Nooooooo, not safelite, they are the worst in customer service….i had to fight 3 months to get them to install a HUD compatible windshield. They wanted to go with a cheap aftermarket that distorted the HUD
I have had Safelite replace a HUD windshield on my prior vehicle and it was fine. Probably depends upon the quality of the compatible windshields for a given vehicle AND the skill of the installer.

Thanks for the notes! I wasn't aware of the 'comprehensive coverage' - being in play for a claim like this? This is constructive for this topic.
Glass coverage is an optional endorsement under comprehensive coverage, usually. If there is a claim that is just glass, it can be done through Safelite, usually for free, unless the glass needs replacing and not repairing. If it needs replacing, it will incur the comprehensive deductible, unless there is a separate glass deductible. If there is anything other than glass that needs to be repaired or replaced, you are still covered under comprehensive coverage, the superset of glass coverage.

All of which is entirely different and separate from collision coverage, which is what most states require you to carry, in case you get in an accident. Comprehensive coverage is usually entire optional (unless you are leasing, as the lessor will likely have insurance minimum requirements), but you'd be stupid not to have it on a car like the Lucid.

What's being missed by the majority of the comments is - that these exorbitant repair costs have a direct impact on every Lucid owners insurance policies. Save the braggadocio comments - really not appropriate here. Additionally what should be of importance is to build a car that can be serviceable without having to replace panels. Stuff happens - all part of owning a vehicle.
You're not wrong, but the high cost of repairs really is common for this class of luxury vehicle nowadays, and especially for EVs. That's temporary, and it's only because this class of vehicle is so new, but for now that is definitely true.

That said, this also happens to be a particularly expensive spot; the front windshield is significantly cheaper, and doesn't require any replacement of parts. The rear windshield is a different story. Not every repair is exorbitant.

In some areas Lucid is training glass shops on windshield replacement. This frees up the Lucid service center and in the long run should keeps costs down. In the Phoenix area, K&B Glass has been trained. They recently replaced my windshield and the work is excellent.

In some areas Lucid is training glass shops on windshield replacement. This frees up the Lucid service center and in the long run should keeps costs down. In the Phoenix area, K&B Glass has been trained. They recently replaced my windshield and the work is excellent.
Curious if they are cheaper compared to quotes mentioned above ($3k)?

The $3k was a Lucid authorized shop. It seems others shops can not obtain the windshield from Lucid nor Lucid's supplier.

Luxury cars are expensive to repair, EV are more expensive. As more repair shops get approved and volume grows, parts will be cheaper. Understand that this is a new company. Just get a good insurance policy. Only thing I care about is how it drives!

Maybe we should not recommend Ferraris for anyone, even if you could afford it?
Tht’s just another excuse. Glass roof, moon roof or anything body fender related…due to cameras, sensors etc. tech is supposed to make life and costs easier not expensive. Nothing costs 20-30k for a minor scrape or ding. That’s the reason that I got a zero deductible policy for both collision and other than collision. Totally agree with paying a little extra on the monthly premium and have peace of mind.

Back