Concerns for Gravity

If you end up with an M3 over the Lucid kiddo, your days in this group are limited! Just joking (sort of) haha!
Lol, for our family car we are likely getting the Air by the end of the year. I would love an Air as my first car and could theoratically stretch my college leftover funds and investments to afford a pure, but I'd rather lessen my chances of debt and generally just save more investment money. Therefore, I have to wait for the midsize Lucid, and that doesnt come by the time I am 18, a model 3 is the only other fast ev sedan option(ioniq 6 is slow)!

B
Lol, for our family car we are likely getting the Air by the end of the year. I would love an Air as my first car and could theoratically stretch my college leftover funds and investments to afford one, but I'd rather lessen my chances of debt. Therefore, I have to wait for the midsize Lucid, and if not a model 3 is the only other fast ev sedan option(ioniq 6 is slow)..

Dude, my first car was a Dodge Omni and I thought I was a frickin stud.

Lol, for our family car we are likely getting the Air by the end of the year. I would love an Air as my first car and could theoratically stretch my college leftover funds and investments to afford a pure, but I'd rather lessen my chances of debt and generally just save more investment money. Therefore, I have to wait for the midsize Lucid, and that doesnt come by the time I am 18, a model 3 is the only other fast ev sedan option(ioniq 6 is slow)!
A lot can change in 4-8 years depending on when you finish college. Don't jump the gun and evaluate your options in the future =)

I was really nervous about the SUV, I was terrified it was going to look like a minivan! But was very pleased with at least what pics I saw from the LA auto show. That being said, I agree with @hydbob people will always complain about everything, but we will just have to see how it sells, which I hope is very positive!

I was really nervous about the SUV, I was terrified it was going to look like a minivan! But was very pleased with at least what pics I saw from the LA auto show. That being said, I agree with @hydbob people will always complain about everything, but we will just have to see how it sells, which I hope is very positive!
The shape does look like a minivan actually(as you can see in the test mules), but Lucid has cleverly used black elements to slim it down and give it more of a suv look. SUV looks, minivan practicality!

The shape does look like a minivan actually(as you can see in the test mules), but Lucid has cleverly used black elements to slim it down and give it more of a suv look. SUV looks, minivan practicality!
Initially I thought it looks like a mini van as well. Until I saw it in person at the LA Auto Show. Lucid did a nice job design the Gravity. You need to the Gravity in person.

Initially I thought it looks like a mini van as well. Until I saw it in person at the LA Auto Show. Lucid did a nice job design the Gravity. You need to the Gravity in person.
Yeah, I'll be honest, the pics don't do it justice. That thing is hot

Steve Jobbs made Apple engineers and design team redesign the iphone. Initially, it came with a raised bevel. He changed the direction to introduce it with a flat bevel. This required significant internal modifications, changing antenna location etc and delays.

Lucid too went back to the drawing board. Instead of basing the Gravity on the AIr platform, they created a completely new platform. A significant redesign to create the best product possible.

Similarities in how both these companies want to make the best product is uncanny. Some people say Tesla = Apple, I disagree. Tesla will release a clumsy interface with bad quality. Apple and Lucid don't seem to want to do that. Lucid will at least make sure any quality issues are addressed, no questions asked.

Guess that is why Peter had an apple on his desk during those initial tech presentatons, following Steve Jobs philosphy.

Thank you Peter for these amazing products!

My only concern for the Gravity is having a CCS port instead of a NACS. We have an intent to buy a Gravity to be next to our Lucid, but will probably now hold off until it has a NACS port.

My only concern for the Gravity is having a CCS port instead of a NACS. We have an intent to buy a Gravity to be next to our Lucid, but will probably now hold off until it has a NACS port.
I genuinely don’t understand why. It will have an adapter, obviously, so you can charge with NACS. The other charging companies aren’t suddenly replacing all their cables, so you’ll be driving around with a NACS port for a while for which you need… an adapter.

Moreover, you’d need an adapter for literally any non-Tesla Level 2 charger that is already installed, of which there are very very many, and companies aren’t going to be keen to suddenly replace all their chargers.

So if you’re going to need to have adapters either way because of this fiasco, I really don’t understand what the difference is as to which side is which.

🤷‍♂️

Waiting form NACS is not necessary- adaptors

Also keep in mind NEVI came out right before Ford and others jumped on the NACS bandwagon. That means all new DCFC stations in the next few years will have at least some support for CCS1. Even Tesla's. Others may also start to support NACS, but that won't happen overnight. Because of NEVI and because Tesla is behind on 1000V chargers, Tesla Superchargers may actually be matched or even overtaken in the next few years by the numbers from other companies like Ionna. The US is just going to have both for a while. Everybody is going to have an adapter. Doesn't really matter which way you go for the next 5-ish years at the very least.

When I was at the factory tour last month, they told us that the Gravity, being a 2025 model, will have a NACS port as will the 2025 Air. This is consistent with Lucid’s announcement. The NACS port was a forgone conclusion. The ‘biggest’ pressing issue regarding the port was whether the charging door was to be manual or powered. It’s currently manual.

It’s not like they didn’t learn anything from the Air. My understanding is that it’s a new platform but designed in a similar way.

I don’t like SUVs. Lots of people don’t. Also, the Air has bigger range, more HP, is faster, and so on. Plus, it’s not like they’re never going to update the Air again.

I suspect the Air is going to remain their flagship performance spec for a while.

The team between them and now is completely different. With Mike Bell at the helm (whereas he came on after Air was already being delivered), I can guarantee you the same mistakes are not going to be made.

Big open question, but I can tell you they’re well aware of the perception. That’s why Gravity is listed as starting at under $80k. The reason they haven’t announced a range of cost yet is because they’ve learned from 2020-2023; markets change, so deciding on something today may or may not be relevant in 2025. Hence the delay.
Gravity will be based on a completely new platform from Air.
Pros: Built specifically for EV SUV.
Concerns: Increased complexity. Potential production ramp up issues vs ramp up with a production proven platform based on Air. Increased costs, less profits due to less parts sharing. Increased costs, less profits due to separate development costs.

Obsolescence for Air.
Concerns: Gravity will have more space, better tech, better UX, more luxurious amenities, air suspensions, etc. but in the similar cost range as Air. Why buy an iPhone 14 Pro, when you can buy an iPhone 15 Pro Max (why buy a last generation car)?

Management of different, but related UX systems.
Concerns: The Gravity and Air will use different UX systems. Potential new UX rollout may be problematic, it took a year after initial release for the Air's UX to become useable. Focus currently is on the Gravity's UX with some trickle down to Air's UX, how will management of work on each UX be divided?

Rollout and rampup
Concerns: Air released the most expensive models first, and took too long to ramp up to the less expensive models. Because of this rollout and rampup strategy, most Touring/Pure reservationists cancelled, and most future prospective consumers still think the Air starts at $159k instead of $77.4k (most reviewers only had the $159k GT or $179k GT-P). How will Gravity rollout and rampup

It’s not like they didn’t learn anything from the Air. My understanding is that it’s a new platform but designed in a similar way.

I don’t like SUVs. Lots of people don’t. Also, the Air has bigger range, more HP, is faster, and so on. Plus, it’s not like they’re never going to update the Air again.

I suspect the Air is going to remain their flagship performance spec for a while.

The team between them and now is completely different. With Mike Bell at the helm (whereas he came on after Air was already being delivered), I can guarantee you the same mistakes are not going to be made.

Big open question, but I can tell you they’re well aware of the perception. That’s why Gravity is listed as starting at under $80k. The reason they haven’t announced a range of cost yet is because they’ve learned from 2020-2023; markets change, so deciding on something today may or may not be relevant in 2025. Hence the delay.
I really hope they learned from the Air "rollout/rampup". I greatly admire the patience of customers with reservations going back to 2020/2021 who waited until late 2022 into 2023 to get an AT or Pure. I absolutely love the Gravity and would buy one today, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait (if production starts in late 2024 as publicized) through all of 2025 and 2026. That would be agony for me.

I was interested in the Genesis GV80 ev, but when I learned that production wouldn't start until 2026 and release in 2027, I started looking elsewhere. That's when I found the Gravity. I like it so much better.

At this point I don't see anything else (no to Audi Q8 etron, Polestar 3, Rivian R1S, and Volvo EX90). I need a Gravity in my life in 2025!
Process Gravity reservations to orders, as received!

Last edited:
I really hope they learned from the Air "rollout/rampup". I greatly admire the patience of customers with reservations going back to 2020/2021 who waited until late 2022 into 2023 to get an AT or Pure. I absolutely love the Gravity and would buy one today, but I'm not sure I have the patience to wait (if production starts in late 2024 as publicized) through all of 2025 and 2026. That would be agony for me.

I was interested in the Genesis GV80 ev, but when I learned that production wouldn't start until 2026 and release in 2027, I started looking elsewhere. That's when I found the Gravity. I like it so much better.

At this point I don't see anything else (no to Audi Q8 etron, Polestar 3, Rivian R1S, and Volvo EX90). I need a Gravity in my life in 2025!
Process Gravity reservations to orders, as received!
I’m sure Lucid learned, that is why reservations haven’t opened yet. Imagine reserving in Nov 2023 when they launched the vehicle and waiting 2 years. Also, factory is more mature, and they brought more construction in-house. No COVID related supply chain issues. I’d rather Lucid takes a few more months to perfect the vehicle. With 440 mile range using a 120kwh battery- nothing comes close!

I’m sure Lucid learned, that is why reservations haven’t opened yet. Imagine reserving in Nov 2023 when they launched the vehicle and waiting 2 years. Also, factory is more mature, and they brought more construction in-house. No COVID related supply chain issues. I’d rather Lucid takes a few more months to perfect the vehicle. With 440 mile range using a 120kwh battery- nothing comes close!
Valid points. Total agreement, especially about Lucid taking more time to perfect (as much as possible) the vehicle. I really want the Gravity and I'd rather they get it right (software and all)! I'm encouraged that, with the solid ev platform developed from scratch in-house, the ev is, for the most part, software on wheels that can be updated

I go through this forum sort of like an archive of historical files. Reading the journey of Air owners from reservations to orders, deliveries, assisting each other with issues, and informing Lucid of desired improvements. Between the car itself and the community of current and future owners, I talk about patience, but I'm pretty sure I'm waiting, however long, until the Gravity is released. I can't unsee it! Also, watching all the videos (Tech Talks, Bobby videos, etc.) ... I'm hooked.

My understanding from talking to a sales advisor is that they will open orders in late summer (July/August) with first deliveries in October to reduce the wait between order to delivery. In this time period they will roll out their test-drive Gravity versions across many studios. The Sales advisor was told to expect to follow a similar delivery strategy as the air: Dream Editions first, followed by their "GT" version and so on to the base version. This may mean base reservation holders could wait awhile.. I'm hopeful their factory improvements translates into less wait for customers!

Back