Charging upgrade?

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
I just watched the video on the new Taycan that shows it's true charging speed and I am both extremely impressed and downright jealous. I realize that charging rates are not just an issue with the car but with the provider itself but I have to say I've been quite disappointed in how my AGT charges. Maximum speeds I've gotten have been in a high 200 kW range but it only stays there for less than a minute and then a very quickly drops below 200. Although not bad, it's nothing phenomenal either.

Do you think it is possible for lucid to upgrade the charging curve via software? I'm holding out hope that they can do something to improve my charging experience 😬

Most of the charging speed relies on the current SoC and the heat tolerances. Not sure about the Taycan video you watched, but a lot of them are under very specific circumstances. Bring your AGT to a 350kW EA charger when its at 5% SoC and I'd bet you'd see better than 200kW.

Most of the charging speed relies on the current SoC and the heat tolerances. Not sure about the Taycan video you watched, but a lot of them are under very specific circumstances. Bring your AGT to a 350kW EA charger when its at 5% SoC and I'd bet you'd see better than 200kW.
Not to mention the charging station which often throttles charging speed.

I also think I read that the new Taycan has an upgraded inverted and battery chemistry. Not sure how much improvement is hardware vs software.

Hmm, I read that the new Taycan has better range than the old one, but I’d still put money on the AGT being the far more effective road trip vehicle. I’ve always found my charge speed to me more than sufficient, unless limited by the station.

My i4 charges faster than my Pure at the same station, handle and SOC. It’s not an occasional thing, but very consistent. The i4 does finish off slower than the Lucid, but overall the i4 is still quicker. In the scheme of things not a biggie, just interesting.

Yes, I wouldn’t mind an update to my charging curve. :)

I just did this the other day. I preconditioned for 20min, temp outside was about 20 Celsius, 350kw charger, I went from 7% to 69% in 30min. Not bad but not great. I hit a peak of 295kw but that lasted for about 10 sec. I stayed above 200 until soc was about 15% only.

The video is out of spec on new 2025 Taycan which has made a lot of changes to make the car much better

I'm just wondering if there are some software "tweaks" that can be made to make the charging curve more flat. I'm hopeful as rivian did it but I'm not sure how much difference it made.

If you look at reviews out there, real world charging tests have lucid sort of in the middle. Eg Edmunds has ionic 6 adding the most miles per hour BC it is both efficient and charges fast and flat. The new Taycan will likely take the crown. My own personal experience is that my AGT is nowhere near flat but I'd really appreciate an upgrade. 🤞🤞🤞

I'm just wondering if there are some software "tweaks" that can be made to make the charging curve more flat. I'm hopeful as rivian did it but I'm not sure how much difference it made.

If you look at reviews out there, real world charging tests have lucid sort of in the middle. Eg Edmunds has ionic 6 adding the most miles per hour BC it is both efficient and charges fast and flat. The new Taycan will likely take the crown. My own personal experience is that my AGT is nowhere near flat but I'd really appreciate an upgrade. 🤞🤞🤞
Are you looking for higher rate DCFC for road trips? I found my pure charged quicker than we could eat lunch or stop for a break on a recent 1700 mile trip. On a few instances, 5-7 minutes quicker might have aligned with our stops, but it would be inconsequential in the scheme of things. I’d rather have the current charge rate if any added speed resulted in mare rapid battery lifetime.

If you look at reviews out there, real world charging tests have lucid sort of in the middle. Eg Edmunds has ionic 6 adding the most miles per hour BC it is both efficient and charges fast and flat. The new Taycan will likely take the crown. My own personal experience is that my AGT is nowhere near flat but I'd really appreciate an upgrade. 🤞
I've heard that Lucid went conservative on their charging curve for battery longevity. It isn't an awesome-shaped curve, but at least it's well above average in added miles per hour.

Are you looking for higher rate DCFC for road trips? I found my pure charged quicker than we could eat lunch or stop for a break on a recent 1700 mile trip. On a few instances, 5-7 minutes quicker might have aligned with our stops, but it would be inconsequential in the scheme of things. I’d rather have the current charge rate if any added speed resulted in mare rapid battery lifetime.
For me it would be more about city driving rather than road trips. Even on road trips, I still want faster charging if I'm not going to be eating a meal.

Back