Charge to 100% for road trip?

When I charge my car I reset Trip A to zero so the info on mi/kWh since the last charge should match trip A info, but it never does. Mi/kWh since the last charge is always much lower than mi/kWh on Trip A even though the miles driven are identical and obviously under identical conditions. Does anybody have this issue or an explanation?

The efficiency since last charge includes losses that are not included in the trip efficiency. The phantom drain from parking overnight or the losses from waking the car up seem to be included in the efficiency since last charge but not in the trip efficiency. I am not sure why Lucid chose to calculate it this way.
I was going to mention exactly what @Tesla2.0 did, on top of that, if you do remote climate management, or leave the car on, that drain is also included in last charge. Whereas the Trip A/B is only miles driven

I have now completed my road trip and located the Trip Information screen for the return drive. I drove a total of 276 miles and consumed 84kwh for an efficiency of 3.3 mi/kWh per the trip computer. This was a combination of 100 miles at 63 mph on a two lane highway with a few towns to drive through and the remainder on the interstate at 83 mph when traffic allowed. Traffic was heavy coming into Dallas so there was some stop and go driving.

I did stop to charge after 158 miles of driving. When pulling into EA I was at 48% SOC and left with 79% SOC so I added 31%. When I arrived home I had 39% SOC remaining (got stuck at EA because of someone asking me lots of questions about the car so charged more than planned haha). By the SOC math had I not charged I would have arrived with 8% remaining. However if I look at kWh consumed during the trip of 84kWh wouldn't that leave 4kWh in the battery upon arrival or around 5% ? Thoughts? Temperature ranged from 63 to 70 Fahrenheit and I am on 20 inch weeks.

Other observations from the trip :

Charger number 2 at EA mount Pleasant Tx failed to authenticate and timed out. When I reconnected the app displaced a pop up on my phone screen saying to authenticate via the app. Took me a sec to figure out and by that time it had timed out again. I tried a 3rd time but was still having issues so moved over to charger 3 and had to authenticate via Lucid app. Cables are short here so you have to pull up quite a bit. Charging rate started at 115 kW but quickly fell to around 75kW on a 350kw charger. No one else was charging.

I stopped at about 100 miles into the trip for coffee and when I returned to the car I had an error on the left side of the main instrument screen about adaptive cruise control not being available ( I think, it went away quickly). The pilot panel and right side of the main screen were black. Slight concern set in but I waited and then the screens turned to the starry night with LUCID logo. I waited maybe 30 seconds more and everything sprung to life. I proceeded with the trip without incident and all systems were functional.

Highway assist is fantastic. It does have moments where it wants to drift to one side or the other in your lane. This appears to happen with poor marking, construction zones or anything that makes your lane unclear. Once you understand when the reactions of HA might be a bit off you can simply control the car through these areas. It takes a bit of pressure on the wheel to keep Highway Assist happy and pass the hands on the wheel test. It took me a bit to perfect my technique for this. The system combined with adaptive cruise works really well.

From my observation, driving 80mph will drop your efficiency to roughly 75% of EPA and that's with good temps and mostly flat terrain.

I have now completed my road trip and located the Trip Information screen for the return drive. I drove a total of 276 miles and consumed 84kwh for an efficiency of 3.3 mi/kWh per the trip computer. This was a combination of 100 miles at 63 mph on a two lane highway with a few towns to drive through and the remainder on the interstate at 83 mph when traffic allowed. Traffic was heavy coming into Dallas so there was some stop and go driving.
3.3 mi/kWh is about right for 20”, 19” would be normally frequently 3.6 mi/kWh and 21” often reported 3.0 mi/kWh.

IMO, the sweetest spot is somewhere between 50~60 mph for EPA.
I did stop to charge after 158 miles of driving. When pulling into EA I was at 48% SOC and left with 79% SOC so I added 31%. When I arrived home I had 39% SOC remaining (got stuck at EA because of someone asking me lots of questions about the car so charged more than planned haha). By the SOC math had I not charged I would have arrived with 8% remaining. However if I look at kWh consumed during the trip of 84kWh wouldn't that leave 4kWh in the battery upon arrival or around 5% ? Thoughts? Temperature ranged from 63 to 70 Fahrenheit and I am on 20 inch weeks.
Your efficiency since last charged and tripometer may be slightly different. One includes idle usage when you stop your car for break.

Also there is transmission heat loss when charging, somewhere like 15% discrepancy from what EA dispensed and what your car translated receiving.
Other observations from the trip :

Charger number 2 at EA mount Pleasant Tx failed to authenticate and timed out. When I reconnected the app displaced a pop up on my phone screen saying to authenticate via the app. Took me a sec to figure out and by that time it had timed out again. I tried a 3rd time but was still having issues so moved over to charger 3 and had to authenticate via Lucid app.
Every time whenever I have authentication issue, I just move to a different stall. I somehow cannot see authentication in my Lucid Mobile app.

Cables are short here so you have to pull up quite a bit. Charging rate started at 115 kW but quickly fell to around 75kW on a 350kw charger. No one else was charging.
To get real high charge of 350kW, you have to be under 20% SOC and 2nd generation EA stalls. At least, that’s what I observed. I don’t like to arrive EA at low SOC. One time arrived 10% at Denton, TX seeing EA stalls were not working for me but working for other brands EV. That almost rendered me a panic attack.
I stopped at about 100 miles into the trip for coffee and when I returned to the car I had an error on the left side of the main instrument screen about adaptive cruise control not being available ( I think, it went away quickly). The pilot panel and right side of the main screen were black. Slight concern set in but I waited and then the screens turned to the starry night with LUCID logo. I waited maybe 30 seconds more and everything sprung to life. I proceeded with the trip without incident and all systems were functional.
Nothing to be concerned of, just communication lag. There are like 90+ pieces Integrated Circuit boards on this EV trying to talk to each other. To me, the real metric of latency reduced is after you hit brake, and see both 360 and front camera on the screen loaded. UX20 focus on fast boot up, but to have all subsystems boot up and sync’d still do take some time in real world. This EV just have too many subsystems, especially DreamDrive components.
Highway assist is fantastic. It does have moments where it wants to drift to one side or the other in your lane. This appears to happen with poor marking, construction zones or anything that makes your lane unclear. Once you understand when the reactions of HA might be a bit off you can simply control the car through these areas. It takes a bit of pressure on the wheel to keep Highway Assist happy and pass the hands on the wheel test. It took me a bit to perfect my technique for this. The system combined with adaptive cruise works really well.
Yes, I enjoy the HA myself. Looking forward for the next long trip on interstate to use it. The Tollway in Houston I used the most has geofenced blocked for HA. 😞

Your efficiency since last charged and tripometer may be slightly different. One includes idle usage when you stop your car for break.

Also there is transmission heat loss when charging, somewhere like 15% discrepancy from what EA dispensed and what your car translated receiving.

I actually didn't stop after charging and was looking at charge percentage on the main screen for my percentage upon arrival and departure so the variance seems odd but like you say I'm sure there are calculations that I am not taking into account. Actually now that I think of it perhaps the trip computer would be higher because there was some idle time during the drive, just not after my last charge.
To get real high charge of 350kW, you have to be under 20% SOC and 2nd generation EA stalls. At least, that’s what I observed. I don’t like to arrive EA at low SOC. One time arrived 10% at Denton, TX seeing EA stalls were not working for me but working for other brands EV. That almost rendered me a panic attack.

I totally follow you on that! The choices are so limited as to charging locations that is a bit nerve wracking. I am trying to figure out if I can make my drive in one charge. I'll probably push on to Royse City next time instead of Mount Pleasant as I'm sure I can make that if the conditions are right and the EA at Royse City isnt so far off the interstate.

Nothing to be concerned of, just communication lag. There are like 90+ pieces Integrated Circuit boards on this EV trying to talk to each other. To me, the real metric of latency reduced is after you hit brake, and see both 360 and front camera on the screen loaded. UX20 focus on fast boot up, but to have all subsystems boot up and sync’d still do take some time in real world. This EV just have too many subsystems, especially DreamDrive components.
Good to know! I think I just have new technology jitters. I love having an EV finally but I also have a bit of a concern that I will get stranded for one reason or another. I'm sure as I have more time with the Air that concern will fade.

Yes, I enjoy the HA myself. Looking forward for the next long trip on interstate to use it. The Tollway in Houston I used the most has geofenced blocked for HA. 😞

I wondered if there were areas you couldnt use it. I haven't come across that yet. I was surprised that it worked on two lane highways!

I haven't yet picked up my Black / Tahoe so I'm not 100% familiar with the charging cables and adapters that come with the Lucid. Thought I read one Lucid could charge another in a pinch... What would be the needed connectors to have one Air resuscitate another?

I haven't yet picked up my Black / Tahoe so I'm not 100% familiar with the charging cables and adapters that come with the Lucid. Thought I read one Lucid could charge another in a pinch... What would be the needed connectors to have one Air resuscitate another?
Not available yet...

Not available yet...
Yup. I’m waiting for the V2V cable. We sometimes need a little extra juice in the Leaf and it would be nice to take it from the Lucid so we would not be subject to on-peak rates.

Good to know! I think I just have new technology jitters. I love having an EV finally but I also have a bit of a concern that I will get stranded for one reason or another. I'm sure as I have more time with the Air that concern will fade.
You will gain more confidence as you put on more miles.
I wondered if there were areas you couldnt use it. I haven't come across that yet. I was surprised that it worked on two lane highways!
I think all highway are public roads can be used. I couldn’t use it on Houston WestPark Tollway, it gave me warning not available which makes me wonder if President George Bush Turnpike tollway might also not be allowed.

You will gain more confidence as you put on more miles.

I think all highway are public roads can be used. I couldn’t use it on Houston WestPark Tollway, it gave me warning not available which makes me wonder if President George Bush Turnpike tollway might also not be allowed.
I've used it briefly on the North Texas Tollroad in Dallas. Haven't tried the George Bush.

New updated regen on highway freaked me out yesterday, took my foot off the pedal hoping for a drastic slowdown but nope, started idling and regen was at full bar, so it's less intense now, not used to that, haf to use the real brake for a second there. But I like the change, just caught me off guard cause I didn't see anything in the patch notes about that.

Also someone needs to tell Lucid that highway assist is biased for right side. I have to right it constantly to allow space on both sides when in heavy traffic with people left and right of me. It had a tendency of hugging the right more.

New updated regen on highway freaked me out yesterday, took my foot off the pedal hoping for a drastic slowdown but nope, started idling and regen was at full bar, so it's less intense now, not used to that, haf to use the real brake for a second there
I don’t believe this was changed. What SOC were you at? If near 100% regen is limited due to not being able to send that power into the battery.
Also someone needs to tell Lucid that highway assist is biased for right side. I have to right it constantly to allow space on both sides when in heavy traffic with people left and right of me. It had a tendency of hugging the right more.
Heh, I’m not convinced it’s biased to the right, and think that we humans are biased to the left. I also thought the same as you but 100% of the time I check the mirrors it is perfectly centered within the lane. I think we just tend to err left because the seat isn’t centered. In any case, lots of people (myself included) have mentioned this to Lucid, fwiw.

I don’t believe this was changed. What SOC were you at? If near 100% regen is limited due to not being able to send that power into the battery.

Heh, I’m not convinced it’s biased to the right, and think that we humans are biased to the left. I also thought the same as you but 100% of the time I check the mirrors it is perfectly centered within the lane. I think we just tend to err left because the seat isn’t centered. In any case, lots of people (myself included) have mentioned this to Lucid, fwiw.
Either there is variance from one car to the next (calibration tolerance?), or what borski says above is true, and it’s a perceived bias to the right. My Touring pretty much lines up exactly in the middle as far as I can tell. It feels right-biased only when I’m passing a large truck. Which makes sense, as I would naturally lean left a bit in those situations.

Another factor to consider: the Air is a really wide car. Coming from my Model 3, I always feel closer to both lane markers. Not sure what other folks were driving before their Air, but that could be a factor as well.

Either there is variance from one car to the next (calibration tolerance?), or what borski says above is true, and it’s a perceived bias to the right. My Touring pretty much lines up exactly in the middle as far as I can tell. It feels right-biased only when I’m passing a large truck. Which makes sense, as I would naturally lean left a bit in those situations.

Another factor to consider: the Air is a really wide car. Coming from my Model 3, I always feel closer to both lane markers. Not sure what other folks were driving before their Air, but that could be a factor as well.
It’s about 4 inches wider than the Model 3, but interestingly it is less wide than the Model S! We were just having this discussion in a telegram chat, actually.

It was at 80% I never go above that, and I was at around 76% when I was on the highway and took my foot off the accelerator and it was coasting, basically at higher speeds it seems to be less harsh even in high mode.

But felt normal or what I was used to at slower speeds. It felt new to me

And for the right bias, when I'm in the very left lane, I do hug the left lane more. And makes sense because no one can be more left of me.

Same is true when I'm in the right lane.

Wish I could set a preference to hug whichever line more lol

It was at 80% I never go above that, and I was at around 76% when I was on the highway and took my foot off the accelerator and it was coasting, basically at higher speeds it seems to be less harsh even in high mode.

But felt normal or what I was used to at slower speeds. It felt new to me

And for the right bias, when I'm in the very left lane, I do hug the left lane more. And makes sense because no one can be more left of me.

Same is true when I'm in the right lane.

Wish I could set a preference to hug whichever line more lol
I actually agree - I would love for it to bear a little left, but only because it’s my comfort zone. I do think it being perfectly centered is probably better overall.

I actually agree - I would love for it to bear a little left, but only because it’s my comfort zone. I do think it being perfectly centered is probably better overall.
I also had the sensation that highway assit was slightly to the right but after checking mirrors on both sides I agree that it’s centered. I watched traffic yesterday and noticed that most drivers were slightly to the left side of the lane.

Back