Charge to 100% for road trip?

MorganB

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Touring Silver Santa Cruz
Referral Code
93UMQZHW
Should I charge to 100% for my road trip today? It’s 280 miles with one EA station on the way. Curious if I can make it on one charge in my Touring. 12 degrees and windy with 180 miles at 82mph with the last 100 at 63mph.

This will be my first road trip and first time fast charging.

I will probably stop on the way to charge because the last 180 miles of my trip only has Level 2 charging.

Does regen disable at 100% charge? Better to charge to say 95 % to retain regen?

Regen is not available above about 95%. At least on my Gt. Given your temperature and planned speed, you should plan to recharge. Since your recharge is only after 100 miles, there is no need to charge above 90% to 95% anyway.

Should I charge to 100% for my road trip today? It’s 280 miles with one EA station on the way. Curious if I can make it on one charge in my Touring. 12 degrees and windy with 180 miles at 82mph with the last 100 at 63mph.

This will be my first road trip and first time fast charging.

I will probably stop on the way to charge because the last 180 miles of my trip only has Level 2 charging.

Does regen disable at 100% charge? Better to charge to say 95 % to retain regen?
I would charge to 100% the colder temps will probably decrease your range 20%, once you get to the charging station you will have a good feel for range at 12F.

It's not that regenerative braking is deliberately disabled at full charge. It's that a full battery cannot take the electrons that regen attempts to return to the battery. Regen braking will return progressively as charge drops below 100%. In our Dream Edition, regen braking starts to become noticeable at around 93% charge level, with full regen available by about 90%.

It's not that regenerative braking is deliberately disabled at full charge. It's that a full battery cannot take the electrons that regen attempts to return to the battery. Regen braking will return progressively as charge drops below 100%. In our Dream Edition, regen braking starts to become noticeable at around 93% charge level, with full regen available by about 90%.
Also worth noting: in snowy / icy conditions, the manual suggests setting your car to the lower regen setting. You may need to use your standard brakes more in the snow, anyway, in other words. So charging up to 100% might make sense. But I’d also plan to charge, regardless.

Just try to remind yourself that at 100% regen will be disabled. It’s a jarring feeling when you have gotten used to relying on 1-pedal for a while. But your brain adjusts.

In general, I find it less stressful to stop and charge for five minutes somewhere rather than trying to see if I can make my destination on electron fumes. If the charger works, it's quick and easy.

Nobody truly answered the can you make it in one charge side of the question. That answer should be a resounding no. Nor should you try. It’s cold af out, stay warm and comfortable, cruise at a safe and fun speed and pull into the charger for a little to top off. Have fun!

...first time fast charging...
I would take heed of others' experiences in cold weather:

I always charge to 100% on level 2 at home before a road trip. I like to leave with the most range possible to keep my options open. You never know when an EA station will not work. I am also in the camp that stopping at 30-40% to go to 80% can be fairly quick, and again, keep options open.
The question of how is regen at a high state of charge, imagine that as a battery state of charge gets higher, it requires more force to “push” charge into the battery. At a low state of charge the battery will be more receptive to regen or a high charge rate. As the battery becomes more full, a higher state of charge, it will be less receptive. At 40% you are not going to see any significant benefit from 350kw vs 150kw Charger.

I would also consider doing a fast charge at least once before setting off on your trip since I had software issues the first couple of times I fast charged (nav didn't work, lost all audio, etc.). Everything was resolved with resets, but it would be jarring (to me, at least) to have experienced those issues for the first time while on a road trip.

Just try to remind yourself that at 100% regen will be disabled. It’s a jarring feeling when you have gotten used to relying on 1-pedal for a while. But your brain adjusts.
Seems pretty strange coming from an ICE. The car drives differently based on how much "gas" is in the "tank"?

I always charge to 100% on level 2 at home before a road trip. I like to leave with the most range possible to keep my options open. You never know when an EA station will not work. I am also in the camp that stopping at 30-40% to go to 80% can be fairly quick, and again, keep options open.
Yes, I also charge to 100% the night before a trip on a L2 home charger to maximize range and give optioms.
I would also consider doing a fast charge at least once before setting off on your trip since I had software issues the first couple of times I fast charged (nav didn't work, lost all audio, etc.). Everything was resolved with resets, but it would be jarring (to me, at least) to have experienced those issues for the first time while on a road trip.
I also do this, especially if I have had a software update since my last trip. One never knows if something was inactivated during the update. I had this happen once. But, of course, this doesn’t guarantee that the EA trip charging will work flawlessly. It will just put your mind to ease that it is not the car. I will charge it up a decent amount on an EA charger, then take it home and charge overnight on the L2 to 100%.

I always charge level-2 to 100% the night before any long trip. How often do you do long trip anyway? So don’t be concern about 100% SOC. You will see your battery drained way faster in Dallas weather today. It doesn’t hurt to have extra electrons in long trip. Even your stated 100% range at 400 miles, I assuming you are going to Houston for 280 miles, you will still very likely need a charge to get there. My guess is this sub-zero weather may get you only 2.4 miles/kWh.

I would take heed of others' experiences in cold weather:

Thank you for the link.

My cold weather range was pretty bad, not as bad as the article but it made the drive a bit stressful since I wasn't familiar with the range at all being my first long drive.

The range was under estimated by about 50 to 60 %. For example , if I drove 100 miles and my range stated I had 250 miles I would finish the 100 miles with 100 miles left, effectively using 150 miles of range for 100 miles of driving. Sometimes it was a bit worse. I kept a close eye on it and did the math so I stayed at the EA faster charger for some time to load up on range. I was traveling 83 mph on the interstate and the temp ranged from about 15 to 20 degrees. Once I exited the interstate and was on a highway that was limited at 55 (driving 63) I lost about 20% of expected range so much better than on the highway. I was blasting the sound system, heated seat and heated steering wheel as well as cabin heat for the entire drive. It was a bit nerve wracking because when I left the EA charger I had 180 miles to go with no fast chargers on the route. There was a level 2 charger when I had about 100 miles to go but I felt that I probably had enough range. I arrived with about 100 miles to spare so plenty of margin.

Nobody truly answered the can you make it in one charge side of the question. That answer should be a resounding no. Nor should you try. It’s cold af out, stay warm and comfortable, cruise at a safe and fun speed and pull into the charger for a little to top off. Have fun!

This is spot on as I found out on my drive. Range was nothing like what was predicted so I was a bit tense and did the math over and over in my head as the last 180 miles of my route had zero fast chargers and the last 95 miles had zero chargers of any kind. I overshot on the top off and arrived with about 100 miles of range on the gage but it was worth it as it made me more comfortable that I would get to my destination ! Honestly I was nervous until I exited the interstate and slowed to 63 on the highway. I saw that my range was no longer in free fall at the lower speed so I knew I would make it.

Yes, I also charge to 100% the night before a trip on a L2 home charger to maximize range and give optioms.

I also do this, especially if I have had a software update since my last trip. One never knows if something was inactivated during the update. I had this happen once. But, of course, this doesn’t guarantee that the EA trip charging will work flawlessly. It will just put your mind to ease that it is not the car. I will charge it up a decent amount on an EA charger, then take it home and charge overnight on the L2 to 100%.

I wanted to do test a fast charger but the closest fast charger to my house is about 60 miles away! I also didn't get the car back from PPF until the morning of my drive. Solid advice.

I always charge level-2 to 100% the night before any long trip. How often do you do long trip anyway? So don’t be concern about 100% SOC. You will see your battery drained way faster in Dallas weather today. It doesn’t hurt to have extra electrons in long trip. Even your stated 100% range at 400 miles, I assuming you are going to Houston for 280 miles, you will still very likely need a charge to get there. My guess is this sub-zero weather may get you only 2.4 miles/kWh.
I actually was going to south Arkansas and my final 180 miles with without any fast charger on the route. I picked up my car from PPF application this morning so I had to charge it on my home Lucid charger before leaving. In hind sight I should have charged the car to 100% before dropping off at PPF. I simply needed to get on the road and couldnt wait for it to get to 100%. I probably stopped charging at about 93%. Yes the range was rough. The EA fast charger in Mount Pleasant was no treat either. One charger cable was positioned in such a way that it was impossible to connect to my car . I moved to another spot that was touted as 350kw and watched my charge speed drop from 120kwh to 45 kWh in a matter of a few minutes. As it turns out myself and the person next to me charging a Kia figured out that the two 350kw chargers at this location were paired to the SAME power source. So when I stopped charging, his speed suddenly doubled. Now I know not to pull into a charger next to the one in use. At least it authenticated without issue.

Thanks to everyone for such solid advice. I will overnight charge on the Level 2 charger where I am now to 100% and then plan to top off on my return again in Mount Pleasant.

How do you calculate the miles / kWh?

This is spot on as I found out on my drive. Range was nothing like what was predicted so I was a bit tense and did the math over and over in my head as the last 180 miles of my route had zero fast chargers and the last 95 miles had zero chargers of any kind. I overshot on the top off and arrived with about 100 miles of range on the gage but it was worth it as it made me more comfortable that I would get to my destination ! Honestly I was nervous until I exited the interstate and slowed to 63 on the highway. I saw that my range was no longer in free fall at the lower speed so I knew I would make it.

I wanted to do test a fast charger but the closest fast charger to my house is about 60 miles away! I also didn't get the car back from PPF until the morning of my drive. Solid advice.

I actually was going to south Arkansas and my final 180 miles with without any fast charger on the route. I picked up my car from PPF application this morning so I had to charge it on my home Lucid charger before leaving. In hind sight I should have charged the car to 100% before dropping off at PPF. I simply needed to get on the road and couldnt wait for it to get to 100%. I probably stopped charging at about 93%. Yes the range was rough. The EA fast charger in Mount Pleasant was no treat either. One charger cable was positioned in such a way that it was impossible to connect to my car . I moved to another spot that was touted as 350kw and watched my charge speed drop from 120kwh to 45 kWh in a matter of a few minutes. As it turns out myself and the person next to me charging a Kia figured out that the two 350kw chargers at this location were paired to the SAME power source. So when I stopped charging, his speed suddenly doubled. Now I know not to pull into a charger next to the one in use. At least it authenticated without issue.

Thanks to everyone for such solid advice. I will overnight charge on the Level 2 charger where I am now to 100% and then plan to top off on my return again in Mount Pleasant.

Miles traveled/ %SOC used x 112kwh

You don’t need to. You can find that info in Settings>>>Vehicle>>>Tripmeter Info
Miles traveled/ %SOC used x 112kwh
Miles traveled / %SOC used x 88 kWh
(His Air is Touring, not DE.)

@MorganB This formula gives you estimated total range based on your driving style/parameters for your current drive as opposed of 425 miles EPA.

Back