RESOLVED Changing following distance

rao_94583

Verified Owner
Cars
AT, Audi e-tron GT
Both our Tesla Model 3 and our Audi e-tron GT have a way of changing the following distance while in adaptive cruise. The display seems to show several bars, indicative of such a setting, but I can't figure it out. Future update, perhaps?

Both our Tesla Model 3 and our Audi e-tron GT have a way of changing the following distance while in adaptive cruise. The display seems to show several bars, indicative of such a setting, but I can't figure it out. Future update, perhaps?
Adjust it using the button on the steering wheel

Adjust it using the button on the steering wheel
Doh -- color me stupid. I tried everything but the most obvious button -- the middle one in this picture!
IMG_4279.jpeg

I don't believe that button sets following distance like a conventional car since the system in the Air can adjust speed from 0mph to 80mph ... at least not while the system is engaged?

It seemed to only SET the tracking speed to what I happened to have the throttle at. That knob also only raises or lowers the max tracking speed while the system is engaged.

It kind of makes sense that the following distance can not be set because it will vary in proportion to the speed which changes. I guess I need to play around with engaging the system at different speeds and following distances to see how it behaves unless someone here knows?

It's not following distance, really -- probably more like "following time". Possibly non-linear, because of how humans perceive as "comfortable".

I don't believe that button sets following distance like a conventional car since the system in the Air can adjust speed from 0mph to 80mph ... at least not while the system is engaged?

It seemed to only SET the tracking speed to what I happened to have the throttle at. That knob also only raises or lowers the max tracking speed while the system is engaged.

It kind of makes sense that the following distance can not be set because it will vary in proportion to the speed which changes. I guess I need to play around with engaging the system at different speeds and following distances to see how it behaves unless someone here knows?
It sets the follow distance between 1 and 4 cars lengths.

It sets the follow distance between 1 and 4 cars lengths.
I am in the camp that says it is based on timing rather than fixed distance because it seems to me that the following distance decreases at slower speeds. It could be my imagination. It also seems that the timing approach would provide better safety over a range of speeds.

I am in the camp that says it is based on timing rather than fixed distance because it seems to me that the following distance decreases at slower speeds. It could be my imagination. It also seems that the timing approach would provide better safety over a range of speeds.
It’s not your imagination. I’m pretty sure that what it’s doing.

It’s not your imagination. I’m pretty sure that what it’s doing.
Yea in stop and go, it definitely is not 2 car lengths lol

I’d like to learn how to close the gap between me and the car in front of me when starting from a stop. The gap gets so big that cars following me pass me up and get in between me and the car I was following. I already have the max tracking speed set to 80.

Back