• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Center storage unit is very poorly designed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet we had another member complain that the armrest did not go far enough to support his arm. As with everything ergonomics are a compromise between comfort, utility and beauty. I think the lucid works well on all three fronts and I’ve hardly been a fanboy for all things lucid. How often are you going into the in for things? I have a cup holder for my phone so I can see my phone to run Waze, that’s the only mod I made here. I’ve had scads of cars that are demonstrably worse. The bottom line is you can’t please everyone

The worst part is how comically inaccessible the USB ports are. That center console is actually the only thing I hate about the car, but I don’t care much because I’ve learned to live with it and it doesn’t cause me much trouble.

Yet we had another member complain that the armrest did not go far enough to support his arm. As with everything ergonomics are a compromise between comfort, utility and beauty. I think the lucid works well on all three fronts and I’ve hardly been a fanboy for all things lucid. How often are you going into the in for things? I have a cup holder for my phone so I can see my phone to run Waze, that’s the only mod I made here. I’ve had scads of cars that are demonstrably worse. The bottom line is you can’t please everyone
As you said, it is personal preference, for me it is very poor design TBH - have had porsches and Mercs before - never had issues with center console… I do keep many things especially fast track or sun glasses etc … Always have to fiddle. I am sure most people will find use to keep stuff in the console and yet would be finding it painful to use it.

As you said, it is personal preference, for me it is very poor design TBH - have had porsches and Mercs before - never had issues with center console… I do keep many things especially fast track or sun glasses etc … Always have to fiddle. I am sure most people will find use to keep stuff in the console and yet would be finding it painful to use it.
All the stuff I need to access more often is behind the pilot panel rather than in the center. I find the design just as easy using it this way instead. Just my $0.02.

The worst part is how comically inaccessible the USB ports are. That center console is actually the only thing I hate about the car, but I don’t care much because I’ve learned to live with it and it doesn’t cause me much trouble.
Not that I need to change USB stick that often, but I bought one of these for $3 to give me better access to the port:

I find center console extremely poorly designed

No thought was given to ease of use… every time to get something from bin, I have to lift up arm rest as arm rest extends over storage and it becomes awkward to reach for things
Agreed. Tesla Model S (refresh) center console was so much better. The Ludid center storage is too far back and I also hate the little floating plastic tray insert. I have certain items (medications) that I don't like sliding around in the area under the front pilot panel so having to lift the (too short) arm rest, contort right arm to locate & lift the tray, hold the tray while retrieving the item from the bin, use & return item, correctly place the plastic tray back in, and close (too short) arm rest is kludgy at best while also trying to keep eyes on the road.

Agreed. Tesla Model S (refresh) center console was so much better. The Ludid center storage is too far back and I also hate the little floating plastic tray insert. I have certain items (medications) that I don't like sliding around in the area under the front pilot panel so having to lift the (too short) arm rest, contort right arm to locate & lift the tray, hold the tray while retrieving the item from the bin, use & return item, correctly place the plastic tray back in, and close (too short) arm rest is kludgy at best while also trying to keep eyes on the road.
In your scenario, you are taking medication while driving? 🤔

In your scenario, you are taking medication while driving? 🤔
Ha! Nothing serious...just on longer trips and in a container too large to fit in the tray. Net, net, it shouldn't be that difficult to access items in the arm rest storage, regardless what is being retrieved.

I definitely think we’ll see a bit of a rethink on the center console in future versions of the car. Even the Gravity should benefit from some lessons learned in this area. But to say they “didn’t put any thought into it” is just silly. Of course they put hours and hours of thought into it. And then missed the mark in some respects. Such is the world of design and execution.

Personally, I know the wireless charger isn’t great for all phones, but for my “average-sized” iPhone, it works wonderfully. I greatly prefer it to the awful tray in my Model 3, where the magnet was never strong enough to hold the phone in place and keep charging. Wireless pads in general are super problematic in a car environment. I also like that I can close the top of the console and not be tempted to touch or look at my phone at all. (They clearly had CarPlay / Android Auto in mind when they designed this.)

Both holders should be chargers, of course. I imagine that came down to economics. And yes, the two USB ports are way too hard to access regularly.

In general, it feels like there should be much more storage space than there is in that console, given its size. But the Pilot Panel’s position dictated a lot of compromises that make the whole console less than ideal. I’m sure they will address all that at some point in the future.

Given how much they got right in the car, I’m happy the compromises they did make for cost cutting or other factors were made here instead of in the cameras, ADAS hardware, seat and dash materials, and so on.

The only problem that I have is with the wireless charging port. Yes, I think they could have done better with the console, but with 9,500 miles on my car, I can’t remember a time that the center console detracted in any way from my blissful driving experience.

However, the wireless charging port is a defect, since I can’t charge my IPhone 14 Pro Max with a case. I expect Lucid to fix this with an enhanced design.

I definitely think we’ll see a bit of a rethink on the center console in future versions of the car. Even the Gravity should benefit from some lessons learned in this area. But to say they “didn’t put any thought into it” is just silly. Of course they put hours and hours of thought into it. And then missed the mark in some respects. Such is the world of design and execution.

Personally, I know the wireless charger isn’t great for all phones, but for my “average-sized” iPhone, it works wonderfully. I greatly prefer it to the awful tray in my Model 3, where the magnet was never strong enough to hold the phone in place and keep charging. Wireless pads in general are super problematic in a car environment. I also like that I can close the top of the console and not be tempted to touch or look at my phone at all. (They clearly had CarPlay / Android Auto in mind when they designed this.)

Both holders should be chargers, of course. I imagine that came down to economics. And yes, the two USB ports are way too hard to access regularly.

In general, it feels like there should be much more storage space than there is in that console, given its size. But the Pilot Panel’s position dictated a lot of compromises that make the whole console less than ideal. I’m sure they will address all that at some point in the future.

Given how much they got right in the car, I’m happy the compromises they did make for cost cutting or other factors were made here instead of in the cameras, ADAS hardware, seat and dash materials, and so on.
No commenting like ”silly” etc is not warranted - everyone has right to opine what is right and wrong. IMO if hrs were spent designing console, then the team did a lousy job.

No commenting like ”silly” etc is not warranted - everyone has right to opine what is right and wrong. IMO if hrs were spent designing console, then the team did a lousy job.
"They did a lousy job" is an opinion. "No thought was given to this" is an obviously inaccurate fact. So long as we stick to opinions, we're good. But if you make statements that are demonstrably false, the moderators will correct them.

"They did a lousy job" is an opinion. "No thought was given to this" is an obviously inaccurate fact. So long as we stick to opinions, we're good. But if you make statements that are demonstrably false, the moderators will correct them.
What !! How can the statement if they spent hours or if they gave any thought is true unless someone is part of the engineering team

Also moderation should be for profanity personal attacks like “silly” etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back