CarPlay is here! - Megathread

OK, I really, really hate to say this, but Apple CarPlay has just become a source of frustration for me. I just went on a short ten minute drive to the Dry Cleaners and back and never could get CarPlay to play any source of music, not my apple music, not SiriusXM, nada. I could hit play, or even fast forward and get about 1/2 second of sound each time. I did the whole "Bobby reset" (changing Users") in my garage when I returned and nothing. No Tidal playlist would come up, but I could get SiriusXM through the Lucid app.

And before anyone says you need to perform "X" reset or pair/unpair my phone or hop up and down on one foot while reciting the alphabet backwards, I refuse to go through abnormal gyrations just to get something that should work flawlessly to work at all. Driving the car is great fun, but the software causes a spike in my blood pressure every time I get in the car.

The car has been out 18 months. This sh*t should work. This car is a work of art, a magnificent machine to drive and a horrendously frustrating piece of *** all at the same time.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can' tell me wife this stuff as it will be thrown back in my face.

OK, I really, really hate to say this, but Apple CarPlay has just become a source of frustration for me. I just went on a short ten minute drive to the Dry Cleaners and back and never could get CarPlay to play any source of music, not my apple music, not SiriusXM, nada. I could hit play, or even fast forward and get about 1/2 second of sound each time. I did the whole "Bobby reset" (changing Users") in my garage when I returned and nothing. No Tidal playlist would come up, but I could get SiriusXM through the Lucid app.

And before anyone says you need to perform "X" reset or pair/unpair my phone or hop up and down on one foot while reciting the alphabet backwards, I refuse to go through abnormal gyrations just to get something that should work flawlessly to work at all. Driving the car is great fun, but the software causes a spike in my blood pressure every time I get in the car.

The car has been out 18 months. This sh*t should work. This car is a work of art, a magnificent machine to drive and a horrendously frustrating piece of *** all at the same time.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can' tell me wife this stuff as it will be thrown back in my face.
Go into the Lucid music UI, switch to any source besides Bluetooth, and then switch to Bluetooth. Now your CarPlay sound will be restored. This is a workaround. Yes, the car has been out to 18 months but CarPlay is only been out a few weeks. They will continue to improve it I’m sure.

Go into the Lucid music UI, switch to any source besides Bluetooth, and then switch to Bluetooth. Now your CarPlay sound will be restored. This is a workaround. Yes, the car has been out to 18 months but CarPlay is only been out a few weeks. They will continue to improve it I’m sure.
Nope, switched to Tidal, then to SiriusXM, back to Tidal (all in the Lucid Music UI), back to CarPlay and bingo, NOTHING.

I just did a long trip to Atlanta recently without hiccups and then a ten minute trip to the dry cleaners in silence, punctuated by 1/2 second bursts of sound whenever I hit the play button.

Nope, switched to Tidal, then to SiriusXM, back to Tidal (all in the Lucid Music UI), back to CarPlay and bingo, NOTHING.

I just did a long trip to Atlanta recently without hiccups and then a ten minute trip to the dry cleaners in silence, punctuated by 1/2 second bursts of sound whenever I hit the play button.
Whats worked for me predictably when this has happened, is I go to Settings -> Devices -> Turn off bluetooth and then car play starts working. I can even turn bluetooth back on and it continues to work. Its a hack until they fix this bug.

I just want to use HBOMax and NetFlix, for that, I’ll check out Carlinkit device.
I don’t have Netflix but the Netflix app is loaded on a Carlinkit upon initial boot up, so should work just fine. I have installed a Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, BBC iPlayer, Plex, HBO+, Prime Video - all working just fine. BBC works via ExpressVPN which I also have installed. Simone of these apps were downloaded from the Google Play store and some were side-loaded with a downloaded APK file

I face the same issue almost every time I get into the car. In CarPlay, navigation apps work, but no music app plays anything (no Apple Music, no Spotify, no YouTube Music).

My solution is usually to reboot the phone while driving. It’s annoying and inconvenient. Hopefully Lucid can get this fixed ASAP.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can' tell me wife this stuff as it will be thrown back in my face

I face the same issue almost every time I get into the car. In CarPlay, navigation apps work, but no music app plays anything (no Apple Music, no Spotify, no YouTube Music).

My solution is usually to reboot the phone while driving. It’s annoying and inconvenient. Hopefully Lucid can get this fixed ASAP.
Instead of rebooting your phone, try to go into the Lucid UI and change your source to something else, like AM/FM, and then back to bluetooth.

Instead of rebooting your phone, try to go into the Lucid UI and change your source to something else, like AM/FM, and then back to bluetooth.
To add to this, I also find toggling Bluetooth on the car and toggling wifi on the phone(if using wireless Carplay) fixes a lot of the usual repeated bugs.

My solution is usually to reboot the phone while driving. It’s annoying and inconvenient. Hopefully Lucid can get this fixed ASAP

Turning Bluetooth off and on again fixed the music issue for me. Annoying but a very fast toggle (something to do with the mobile key). Hope that helps resolve your issue. And I hope it gets fixed.

Sorry about your experience. Mine has not been the same. I’ve also had zero issues with CarPlay tho 🤷‍♂️

I’m not saying this to be mean, but if you don’t think resale value is going to get better, since you don’t believe in the car or the brand… why not cut your losses?
I agree. Resale value isn’t going to get any better, so why keep it if it brings such misery? I’m pretty sure Doctor Phil would have something to say about keeping things around that bring pain. I can hear his voice right now. Lol

This exact thing happened to me yesterday and switching didn’t help. However, just walking away from the car and coming back got everything to work right. This would be a good one to report to Lucid.

What I have found helps is to get the car above 50mph, spit out the right window three times while holding the palm of your left hand firmly against the back top glass while whistling "dixie" between each spit attempt.

Again, this requirement of software input gymnastics needs to, and will eventually, get sorted. Right now though, I must deal with the momentary frustrations until I exit the car and return for another drive at a later time. At that point, odds are the car will perform just fine, as it did yesterday on my way to the grocery store. Maybe it just doesn't like the dry cleaners or having dirty laundry in the back seat...

What I have found helps is to get the car above 50mph, spit out the right window three times while holding the palm of your left hand firmly against the back top glass while whistling "dixie" between each spit attempt.

Again, this requirement of software input gymnastics needs to, and will eventually, get sorted. Right now though, I must deal with the momentary frustrations until I exit the car and return for another drive at a later time. At that point, odds are the car will perform just fine, as it did yesterday on my way to the grocery store. Maybe it just doesn't like the dry cleaners or having dirty laundry in the back seat...
Now you're just being silly... Everyone knows it's because you weren't polite enough to Siri

Now you're just being silly... Everyone knows it's because you weren't polite enough to Siri
Well, I think she just feels as neglected and unappreciated as Alexa. I never use or pay any attention to either.

I use Siri a good bit for texting. Also useful to close the garage given our odd Homelink integration.

Not sure where to ask this, but how often should I have to do an Air reset to activate CarPlay? CarPlay is unstable on my car and fails at least several times a week either not starting or if it does with zero audio signal from Apple Maps or streaming apps like SXM and Pandora. It does not activate when underway and I try Connectivity then Devices then CarPlay. Currently, I have to do an Air reset several times a week and to eliminate the problem must do so before I head on an Interstate trip where turning off on an exit and then stopping to do the Air reset is very inconvenient. If my experience is normal and my car is within spec for frequent CarpPlay failures then be it so.

Not sure where to ask this, but how often should I have to do an Air reset to activate CarPlay? CarPlay is unstable on my car and fails at least several times a week either not starting or if it does with zero audio signal from Apple Maps or streaming apps like SXM and Pandora. It does not activate when underway and I try Connectivity then Devices then CarPlay. Currently, I have to do an Air reset several times a week and to eliminate the problem must do so before I head on an Interstate trip where turning off on an exit and then stopping to do the Air reset is very inconvenient. If my experience is normal and my car is within spec for frequent CarpPlay failures then be it so.

I have never needed to do a reset to activate CarPlay .

I have never needed to do a reset to activate CarPlay .
I can’t believe that. The functionality from a reliability standpoint is meager. What helped once was that I disconnected the antenna behind the back seat and reinstalled it after 15 minutes. Worked for a week. Then Murphy’s law attacked again.

I can’t believe that. The functionality from a reliability standpoint is meager. What helped once was that I disconnected the antenna behind the back seat and reinstalled it after 15 minutes. Worked for a week. Then Murphy’s law attacked again.

Well , I am not lying. I likely don’t use it as extensively as others, but I have not had to do a reset to activate it. I use it for music, calls, texts, maps. Perhaps it’s because I use wired CarPlay? I don’t use wireless.

Well , I am not lying. I likely don’t use it as extensively as others, but I have not had to do a reset to activate it. Perhaps it’s because I use wired CarPlay? I don’t use wireless.
I use wireless for CarPlay.

Back