CarPlay is here! - Megathread

Car talk rarely ends where it started.
Not much to say on Car Play for Lucid.
Does it have car play. No
Do they plan car play. Yes
When? Unknown.

We could start a pool or someone could set an over/under date.

Who want to take under with a date of 10/15/22?

I’m hoping to have it before my first Lucid Anniversary on 12/14/22.

Wow did this thread get off topic.
It’s a talent of ours.
Car talk rarely ends where it started.
Not much to say on Car Play for Lucid.
Does it have car play. No
Do they plan car play. Yes
When? Unknown.

We could start a pool or someone could set an over/under date.

Who want to take under with a date of 10/15/22?

I’m hoping to have it before my first Lucid Anniversary on 12/14/22.
I’ll take that bet. On or before midnight 10/15/2022 pacific time.

My bet is before Woz takes delivery of his Lucid...

Does anyone understand why this is taking so long? It's off the shelf software and it should be plug and play. I mean I installed an aftermarket car play module to my 2014 Porsche head unit which wasn't even designed for CarPlay and was able to get it running.

I see a bunch of cars launching with a few missing features - like the self closing doors on my EQS. But I have never heard of another company launching a new car in 2022 without CarPlay off the bat.

Does anyone understand why this is taking so long? It's off the shelf software and it should be plug and play. I mean I installed an aftermarket car play module to my 2014 Porsche head unit which wasn't even designed for CarPlay and was able to get it running.

I see a bunch of cars launching with a few missing features - like the self closing doors on my EQS. But I have never heard of another company launching a new car in 2022 without CarPlay off the bat.
Ummmm....... it took a good 2 to 3 years before it started showing up in cars after Apple announced it. It might be plug and play in Apples eyes but working with Apple I can guarantee there are a whole bunch of stipulations that must be followed to get it working and in this case it's Apple's way or no way so it's up to the automakers to make their systems work with it not the other way around.

I've had many arguments with Apple about integrations etc. and every time the expectation is we have to adapt, not them

I've had many arguments with Apple about integrations etc. and every time the expectation is we have to adapt, not them
That's my experience as well. The non-rectangular aspect ratio of the nav screen coupled with the secondary screen below has always been my concern. CarPlay just doesn't play well with that sort of design. This is why my guess for the holdup is just making it work in a way Apple approves.

That's my experience as well. The non-rectangular aspect ratio of the nav screen coupled with the secondary screen below has always been my concern. CarPlay just doesn't play well with that sort of design. This is why my guess for the holdup is just making it work in a way Apple approves.
Apple actually released support for second screens in iOS 13. I really hope Lucid takes advantage of this because I only know of 1 car that does.

Ummmm....... it took a good 2 to 3 years before it started showing up in cars after Apple announced it. It might be plug and play in Apples eyes but working with Apple I can guarantee there are a whole bunch of stipulations that must be followed to get it working and in this case it's Apple's way or no way so it's up to the automakers to make their systems work with it not the other way around.

Apple typically requires physical testing by Apple before it can be certified. Maybe they are backlogged?

I predict November 5, 2022 for Apple CarPlay. The one year anniversary of the first Dream delivery.

iirc these legacy automakers rarely push software updates and with Lucid we have seen 5+ updates since the initial DE delivery which is probably more software updates you can expect from legacy automakers in their car's lifetime.
Volvo has been pushing OTA updates once a month or so. That said, they still have a long way to go on stabilization.

Volvo has been pushing OTA updates once a month or so. That said, they still have a long way to go on stabilization.
You mean...even legacy automakers are having issues with software?! I thought only Lucid was having problems...

You mean...even legacy automakers are having issues with software?! I thought only Lucid was having problems...
The software needs to work before you can clarify it as having "problems". The Lucid software is currently so bad "beta" would be an improvement. BMW preproduction software on the iX is years ahead of Lucid.

The software needs to work before you can clarify it as having "problems". The Lucid software is currently so bad "beta" would be an improvement. BMW preproduction software on the iX is years ahead of Lucid.
Is the iX software a port from the i3? I've not been in any EVs from BMW

It needs a lot of improvements but it is not THAT bad lol my Taycan software is worse.

Sounds like an excuse to me. Apple may be inflexible, but everyone else is launching their cars with CarPlay. Lucid should have built the hardware and software to those rules in the first place, rather than struggling to retrofit after launching the car.

Back