CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I wonder how many iPhone users use Google maps vs other maps. I am still waiting for a lot of improvements to come to Google maps. ETA based on car pool lane and navigation to use car pool lane. It is tricky to know when to exit the car pool lane. Also, the features of ABRP must come to EV mode of Google maps. We should be able to plan a trip to include visiting people, places, restaurants, charging all in 1 place and suggest an optimal route.
I dislike Google maps. I nearly exclusively use Waze. We’ve been in our home 2.5 years and google still won’t show our address. 😢

I was told when I ordered the car that it was already available. Lucid says it is.
My guy told me by the end of the year. It is not yet available in my GT with the current software version.

My guy told me by the end of the year. It is not yet available in my GT with the current software version.
Correct. Last word from Derek Jenkins was they hoped to release it by end of year. Looks like they may miss that goal, though. But it is coming. Actively being developed, and by all indications, close to being ready for release.

But with software, actual release can be hard to predict. If I had to guess, I’d say January is more likely.

Correct. Last word from Derek Jenkins was they hoped to release it by end of year. Looks like they may miss that goal, though. But it is coming. Actively being developed, and by all indications, close to being ready for release.

But with software, actual release can be hard to predict. If I had to guess, I’d say January is more likely.
I’m definitely ready as I don’t care for the gps and just prefer airplay for most of the functions as that is what I am used to but…I love my GT so I can wait.

I was assuming that CarPlay and Android Auto would run on the upper righthand drivers display but I've never seen either run on a screen that is not a standard rectanglular shape. Would this need to be a custom implementation just for Lucid? I'm hoping it won't only run on the pilot panel due to it being the only standard shaped display.

I was assuming that CarPlay and Android Auto would run on the upper righthand drivers display but I've never seen either run on a screen that is not a standard rectanglular shape. Would this need to be a custom implementation just for Lucid? I'm hoping it won't only run on the pilot panel due to it being the only standard shaped display.
Good question; my suspicion is the same as yours. My understanding is that in the early days of building it this was a big challenge to overcome; the different aspect ratio definitely made it harder.

So Tesla just released Apple Music integration, anyone know if that’s more accessible to integrate than Apple CarPlay?

So Tesla just released Apple Music integration, anyone know if that’s more accessible to integrate than Apple CarPlay?
Not sure what you mean by accessible? Do you mean is it easier to get approved by Apple? That would be an interesting thing to know.

I was under the impression built-in apps like this are usually done in collaboration with the providers. Or even by the providers. So it's possible someone at Apple actually wrote the Tesla app.

All I can say for the Apple Music integration on the Tesla from my own experience is that the app itself is pretty nice, UI-wise. But it craps out after playing a single song. Just spins and buffers forever. And many reports have come in that it's streaming at a rather low quality, even though it's a built-in app. Perhaps this is to save bandwidth?

Tesla customers only get one free year of data now, and then pay monthly after that. But Tesla has a lot of customers who have "forever" free data plans from their earlier years. I don't know if they are limiting streaming bandwidth because it's expensive for them, or for some other reason. Given how the app can't seem to download more than a track at a time, maybe it can't handle a higher-bandwidth stream for some internal reason? Who knows?

yeah I was curious if Apple Music app was a plug and play option or if it was a true collaboration. I haven’t seen Apple Music as a standalone app anywhere else, so may just have been strategic.

Good to know about the app, Apple Music has always been wonky with me anyway.

yeah I was curious if Apple Music app was a plug and play option or if it was a true collaboration. I haven’t seen Apple Music as a standalone app anywhere else, so may just have been strategic.

Good to know about the app, Apple Music has always been wonky with me anyway.
The Apple Music API is available for anyone to consume. There can be a bit of a collaboration here, but it’s really up to the OEM. Porsche was one of the first to use the APIs in the Taycan a few years ago. I’m unaware of Apple doing any level of development around the car applications beyond collaborating on API needs and some general marketing.

I’m hoping that this is the week for CarPlay! I have a 600 mile road trip upcoming! Fingers crossed!

I’m hoping that this is the week for CarPlay! I have a 600 mile road trip upcoming! Fingers crossed!
LOL. You want to bet for a coffee?
If you win, I'll buy you a coffee.
If I win, I'll still buy you a coffee.

I dislike Google maps. I nearly exclusively use Waze. We’ve been in our home 2.5 years and google still won’t show our address. 😢
Have you tried adding your address to Google's maps database? I haven't tried adding an address, but I have corrected several physical locations by submitting edits. It takes a couple minutes to submit, and usually a couple hours to be approved and go live.

LOL. You want to bet for a coffee?
If you win, I'll buy you a coffee.
If I win, I'll still buy you a coffee.
Perfect. But you have to deliver it to San Diego, too. It’s too freaking cold in New Jersey! I used to drive across Jersey a lot in my college years when I lived in Connecticut and went to school in Pennsylvania.

Have you tried adding your address to Google's maps database? I haven't tried adding an address, but I have corrected several physical locations by submitting edits. It takes a couple minutes to submit, and usually a couple hours to be approved and go live.
It now shows on the web version but not in google maps or the car. 😢
Hopefully, they will catch up soon.

Many folks here are curious when CarPlay will be released. I am pleased to report that one of our moderators, @joec has created a tool to check if it has been released.
Here's the link: http://haslucidreleasedcarplayyet.com/
Visit often for updates. It's different every time.

Many folks here are curious when CarPlay will be released. I am pleased to report that one of our moderators, @joec has created a tool to check if it has been released.
Here's the link: http://haslucidreleasedcarplayyet.com/
Visit often for updates. It's different every time.
Now? How about now? Surely now? Gotta be NOW???

Never mind.......

Back