CarPlay is here! - Megathread

It could be a beta version they have on a test vehicle, its a bit odd it would be accessible by a user, however.

The ios 15< version of Carplay would likely look like that, every car I've ever used it on does not permit "car provided" images at the same time as carplay, so I don't think there is anything Lucid could do with that version to make it not look ugly with the basic rectangle.

THAT SAID,

With ios 16+ they should be able to fill the whole space, at the bare minimum. We need this guy to go back with a phone running ios16 beta. It would be interesting if Lucid is already implementing with that SDK, or they are using the old SDK. (The only way to know would be to plug in a phone running the new OS)
Ah, that’s not how this works. iOS 16 supports both the old and new Carplay interface. OEMs have to actually do some work to get that newer interface you’re talking about. Technically, that interface also isn’t actually available in iOS itself yet either.

I think it will be a good 1 to 2 years before we seen any car with the new CarPlay, if at all. Not sure how willing car companies will be to share the data with Apple.

I think it will be a good 1 to 2 years before we seen any car with the new CarPlay, if at all. Not sure how willing car companies will be to share the data with Apple.
That’s not an issue and Apple isn’t collecting data there in any way I’m guessing you’re suggesting.

That’s not an issue and Apple isn’t collecting data there in any way I’m guessing you’re suggesting.
Apple needs to be given access to the cars main computer in order to get key data to present onto the screens. Mileage, gas, etc. Not 100% sure if the data Apple reads is recorded by them or not but the few stories I’ve read on it are that car companies may not just freely give access to the main computer in order for an external device to gain access to present live info.

Does anyone know for sure that SiriusXM would require installation of hardware that isn’t currently onboard?

Does anyone know for sure that SiriusXM would require installation of hardware that isn’t currently onboard?
I have heard exactly that from multiple sources, including some Lucid personnel. You might be able to get Sirius, but not through a Satellite connection.

They could make an App that uses the internet connection in the car. It’s a compromise at least for the missing antenna

Well, if he photoshopped it he went through an awful lot of effort including posting his emails and such from the event. If it's fake, that is dedication. Either way, doesn't matter to me! Apple sucks!
It’s funny how the worm has turned regarding Apple’s popularity. When I was in my 20’s it was Big Blue (IBM) which dominated and Apple had 3% of the market. No one could have guessed they’d turn it around so thoroughly and would come to dominate (and be hated!).

They could make an App that uses the internet connection in the car. It’s a compromise at least for the missing antenna
Right I get that and will mostly be in cell served areas..may well be irrelevant to most of us in the long run

It’s funny how the worm has turned regarding Apple’s popularity. When I was in my 20’s it was Big Blue (IBM) which dominated and Apple had 3% of the market. No one could have guessed they’d turn it around so thoroughly and would come to dominate (and be hated!).
IBM:
Revenue $57.35 billion (2021)
Operating income $6.86 billion (2021)
Net income $5.74 billion (2021)
Total assets $132.00 billion (2021)
Total equity $18.99 billion (2021)
Number of employees 282,100 (2021)

Apple:
Revenue $365.82 billion (2021)
Operating income 108.95 billion (2021)
Net income $94.68 billion (2021)
Total assets $351.02 billion (2021)
Total equity $63.09 billion (2021)
Number of employees 154,000 (2021)

How times have changed!

Apple is trying to make legacy car makers not to bother build their custom seized User Interface. Everyone would just be using Apple CarPlay. Essentially, Apple wants CarPlay to be Microsoft Windows 95 and all auto makers are just PC hardware and Tesla becomes old IBM and will eventually get market revenue shares sucked out by Apple like Microsoft did to IBM. This is why Elon hates Apple and Tesla gets no CarPlay love.

Apple is trying to make legacy car makers not to bother build their custom seized User Interface. Everyone would just be using Apple CarPlay. Essentially, Apple wants CarPlay to be Microsoft Windows 95 and all auto makers are just PC hardware and Tesla becomes old IBM and will eventually get market revenue shares sucked out by Apple like Microsoft did to IBM. This is why Elon hates Apple and Tesla gets no CarPlay love.
If that's the path of cars, please no

I’m not sure if there is any hardware on board, but they could take the route that Tesla took: For the Model X and maybe the Model S, there is a combo FM/XM tuner which is located near the antenna. It’s controlled via Ethernet by the car. The audio is via Ethernet . A person with a Model 3, which does not have XM, replaced their tuner with the FM/XM one from a Model X. The audio system then showed XM stations, although the audio was still playing FM.

See https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-nearly-working-in-tesla-2022-model-3.271704/

Alternatively, Apple knows people like their iPhones, and they want to provide their customers with a more personalized experience that gives them access to the data on those phones when they drive.

They saw many auto manufacturers were slapping in generic systems that didn’t play nice with their phone, so they went ahead and offered something themselves.

People ascribe malice to companies who simply want to please their customers, so they can make more money. Or assume there is some sort of 4D chess going on when it’s just plain old “make our products better so more people will buy them.”

Alternatively, Apple knows people like their iPhones, and they want to provide their customers with a more personalized experience that gives them access to the data on those phones when they drive.

They saw many auto manufacturers were slapping in generic systems that didn’t play nice with their phone, so they went ahead and offered something themselves.

People ascribe malice to companies who simply want to please their customers, so they can make more money. Or assume there is some sort of 4D chess going on when it’s just plain old “make our products better so more people will buy them.”
iTune shop platform has biggest margin (25%+) for just hosting for content makers. Auto makers margin are anorexic thin 6~8%, and have to deal with nonstop competition and headchachs. Tesla is exception at 16% with carved market of its own. Now with every giants entering EV space, landscape has changed. Apple is better off has own unique platform to possible host 3rd party plus-ins than making iCar themselves. I’m sure their biggest share holder Warren Buffett is opponent of entering auto space.

iTune shop platform has biggest margin (25%+) for just hosting for content makers. Auto makers margin are anorexic thin 6~8%, and have to deal with nonstop competition and headchachs. Tesla is exception at 16% with carved market of its own. Now with every giants entering EV space, landscape has changed. Apple is better off has own unique platform to possible host 3rd party plus-ins than making iCar themselves. I’m sure their biggest share holder Warren Buffett is opponent of entering auto space.
Agreed. Apple is definitely doing something in the car space, but I don’t think that means they will ever actually sell cars. I could more easily see a car service. Think Uber, without drivers. And at a monthly subscription, rather than a cost per ride approach.

In major cities, like San Francisco or New York, where owning a car can be a pain in the butt, I could totally see such a service taking off. And if you limit it to geofenced areas that can be mapped easily, the self driving aspect becomes much more achievable.

Even so, that’s probably at least five to ten more years away.

Apple needs to be given access to the cars main computer in order to get key data to present onto the screens. Mileage, gas, etc. Not 100% sure if the data Apple reads is recorded by them or not but the few stories I’ve read on it are that car companies may not just freely give access to the main computer in order for an external device to gain access to present live info.
It's not new, they already do this on any post-1996 car via the OBD2 connection. All they need to do is provide an API that feeds your phone with the data it's requesting. The big change is displaying what the iPhone gives it on one or more full sized screens without much lag and integrating that into whatever controls the car has on the steering wheel or iDrive.

It's not new, they already do this on any post-1996 car via the OBD2 connection. All they need to do is provide an API that feeds your phone with the data it's requesting. The big change is displaying what the iPhone gives it on one or more full sized screens without much lag and integrating that into whatever controls the car has on the steering wheel or iDrive.
I know its not new but even with OBD there are some things that are walled off. A prime example is when Apple updated Maps in CarPlay about 2 years ago to include EV routing. To this day, I believe Ford and BMW were the only ones that integrated it. To me, It seems there's reluctance within the industry to give Apple the data it needs so i'm skeptical that the new version of CarPlay is going to be seen in every car in the coming years.

Sure, they can all make API's but do you really think the auto industry is on top of its game when it comes to software and security to then allow 3rd parties to access it? Lucid is a prime example, even they at the moment have disabled data on the USB ports for fear someone could get into the system. I think the original CarPlay was the compromise where automakers just went "fine, put it in" this new version of CarPlay though might be a step too far. If an automaker allows this then they may as well stop internal software development and just do a bare bones system and let Apple take over. The new CarPlay is an OS competitor to what OS's automakers are putting in their cars and a majority of them won't be able to compete with Apple when it comes to software so when you see a threat what do you do? You don't open the front door and let them in. You lock everything down.

I could be wrong but recent responses from automakers is "we'll look into it". I think Volvo\Polestar are the only ones that gave a commitment that they will integrate the new CarPlay. Time will tell I guess.

Agreed. Apple is definitely doing something in the car space, but I don’t think that means they will ever actually sell cars. I could more easily see a car service. Think Uber, without drivers. And at a monthly subscription, rather than a cost per ride approach.

In major cities, like San Francisco or New York, where owning a car can be a pain in the butt, I could totally see such a service taking off. And if you limit it to geofenced areas that can be mapped easily, the self driving aspect becomes much more achievable.

Even so, that’s probably at least five to ten more years away.
Sounds like the Apple Car is a bit of an on again, off again saga.

I would agree that it’s several years away if it happens.

Back