CarPlay is here! - Megathread

Apple CarPlay was designed because automakers couldn't develop a UI to save themselves and just slapped something together and treated it like an afterthought. To this day a majority of them still do so I see why CarPlay is appealing to someone who owns a basic, low cost car.

Why don’t you hear Tesla owners screaming for CarPlay? They don’t because the Tesla system just works. Even for the Lucid it’s got all the pieces to be a good system over time. They’ve integrated Apps like Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn etc built straight into the cars system. Has online connectivity to add more in future. Will a Civic give you the weather at your destination if you ask it? Will a Civic respond to a song request on Amazon Music, Spotify, etc? Will a Civic do anything smart? No! That’s where CarPlay comes in.

I hate CarPlay tbh, it’s ugly and limited to want Apple will allow. Again, good luck with your route planning on Google/Apple Maps or Waze. I can see the thread now, CarPlay gets added and then everyone starts screaming that they need to enter charging stops in manually or the navigation can’t read the cars consumption so the EV stops aren’t planned properly.

Apple CarPlay was designed because automakers couldn't develop a UI to save themselves and just slapped something together and treated it like an afterthought. To this day a majority of them still do so I see why CarPlay is appealing to someone who owns a basic, low cost car.

Why don’t you hear Tesla owners screaming for CarPlay? They don’t because the Tesla system just works. Even for the Lucid it’s got all the pieces to be a good system over time. They’ve integrated Apps like Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn etc built straight into the cars system. Has online connectivity to add more in future. Will a Civic give you the weather at your destination if you ask it? Will a Civic respond to a song request on Amazon Music, Spotify, etc? Will a Civic do anything smart? No! That’s where CarPlay comes in.

I hate CarPlay tbh, it’s ugly and limited to want Apple will allow. Again, good luck with your route planning on Google/Apple Maps or Waze. I can see the thread now, CarPlay gets added and then everyone starts screaming that they need to enter charging stops in manually or the navigation can’t read the cars consumption so the EV stops aren’t planned properly.
Tesla owners (like myself) have been “screaming” for CarPlay for years. One driving reason I sold my Tesla is lack of CarPlay support. It’s also their #1 requested feature. I wouldn’t downplay that…

Has anyone used ABRP in CarPlay in an EV that has CarPlay? The phone app seems amazingly accurate to me, but it sucks for typing in your starting SOC% and desired arrival SOC% because it closes every time you type one digit into the app. If ABRP is good in CarPlay that would be a strong argument for getting CarPlay ASAP.

Also I think I figured out why in 1.2.6 will put in charging stops in the navigation when you don’t necessarily need them. In the recent tech talk video Eric Bach mentions the ideal EV charging road trip is one where you make a very short stop before the battery gets low and juice back up to 80%, and it seems like the navigation plans it that way, it just doesn’t factor in the charging time because that’s up to you how long you actually want to charge.

Tesla owners (like myself) have been “screaming” for CarPlay for years. One driving reason I sold my Tesla is lack of CarPlay support. It’s also their #1 requested feature. I wouldn’t downplay that…
Yet people are still buying the Tesla in droves without it….. can’t be too important to a majority of Tesla owners if the car keeps selling like hotcakes without it

i think that carplay/AA is important for both sides of the argument because it's such a great "catch all." it provides a level of stability, integration, and simplicity that many automakers just aren't able to provide at the moment. For those that are low maintenance, it's sufficient. for those that are high maintenance and want a more personalized and dedicated UI/UX, it's a good bridge until Lucid comes out with improvements. As someone who's never used carplay or AA, even i'm surprised lucid didn't place a higher priority on it. if it was shipped with the car or come with one of their first major updates, a lot of the complaints probably would have been hushed for the time being, buying them time to get their own stuff in order.

i think that carplay/AA is important for both sides of the argument because it's such a great "catch all." it provides a level of stability, integration, and simplicity that many automakers just aren't able to provide at the moment. For those that are low maintenance, it's sufficient. for those that are high maintenance and want a more personalized and dedicated UI/UX, it's a good bridge until Lucid comes out with improvements. As someone who's never used carplay or AA, even i'm surprised lucid didn't place a higher priority on it. if it was shipped with the car or come with one of their first major updates, a lot of the complaints probably would have been hushed for the time being, buying them time to get their own stuff in order.
That’s actually a great point, it would be a good selling point for Lucid. “Rivian and Tesla don’t have it, but we do” could drive sales.

i haven't used Waze in years. Since Google owns them now, i expect Google maps to have everything waze feature integrated. I prefer Google maps interface to waze's + it lets you see restaurant reviews, gas prices (soon to be an old thing for me) etc. i don't know if waze added those features. I do get occasional objects on road surface so i'm pretty sure the data between google maps and waze are synced. google maps recently started showing speed traps but they are only 50% accurate in my experience.
I’ll have to try Google maps again- would make sense if they have integrated Waze’s notifications at this point. I have been using Waze for years, it’s big advantage being advance warnings for potholes, obstructions on road, police etc. There are definitely false alarms but they have come in useful very often. To my knowledge I have yet to encounter a speed trap without advance warning (I don’t use a radar detector).

Are you guys just driving with maps on all the time? Personally, at least for daily driving, I don't ever have the nav up, maybe I should just for speed traps!

So in the "other forum" a reporter who is at a Lucid event posted about the CarPlay rumors saying "So, I actually asked several Lucid employees. One said that Apple Carplay may be in the works, to give Lucid owners the option for those who want it. The software engineers and another Lucid executive were more cagey about it, but they did tell me they "are considering" the addition of more Apple-friendly integration. Whether that's a bespoke Apple Music app or, CarPlay integration, they wouldn't exactly say. All parties did assert that the Reddit thread was a photoshop, though. They say the photos weren't from a media event, that was a customer experience event, and I'm not sure if Lucid would be dumb enough to beta test software in the middle of the showroom in public view."

Personally, I don't think they were photoshopped but I think Lucid PR would have to deny it... But those are my personal thoughts.

Are you guys just driving with maps on all the time? Personally, at least for daily driving, I don't ever have the nav up, maybe I should just for speed traps!
I only use nav when I am going somewhere I've never been or haven't been to in quite a while. Once I've driven to a place two or three times I've pretty much memorized it.

I have friends, however, who literally pull up navigation to go anywhere. They can't remember how to get to a restaurant ten minutes away. This blows my mind.

Maybe it was the years of using Thomas Guide paper maps, having to plan out my route far in advance that gave me this sense of direction and memorization, because it does tend to be younger people I know who weren't driving pre MapQuest who rely on navigation much more. But that's a generalization.

Also, a lot of Tesla friends use nav because they want to use FSD. Which is crazy for a whole host of other reasons.

The Waze thing I get, if only for the up-to-date traffic and incident reports. Though I don't use Waze for privacy reasons. There's no way I'm giving Google my location data every time I drive.

So in the "other forum" a reporter who is at a Lucid event posted about the CarPlay rumors saying "So, I actually asked several Lucid employees. One said that Apple Carplay may be in the works, to give Lucid owners the option for those who want it. The software engineers and another Lucid executive were more cagey about it, but they did tell me they "are considering" the addition of more Apple-friendly integration. Whether that's a bespoke Apple Music app or, CarPlay integration, they wouldn't exactly say. All parties did assert that the Reddit thread was a photoshop, though. They say the photos weren't from a media event, that was a customer experience event, and I'm not sure if Lucid would be dumb enough to beta test software in the middle of the showroom in public view."

Personally, I don't think they were photoshopped but I think Lucid PR would have to deny it... But those are my personal thoughts.
I'm in the photoshop camp myself. I've done quite a bit of photoshopping in my time, and while I could see a demo car at an event running some sort of beta to show off something specific that an executive wanted people to see, there's little chance they would "accidentally" ship CarPlay in that beta. Unless their software team is really THAT screwed up.

In any event, I'm intrigued by the prospect of an actual Apple Music app. It's always bugged me that my Tesla has Tidal and Spotify, but not Apple Music. Many might consider it unnecessary if they are doing CarPlay anyway, but I disagree. For one, there are Android users who have an Apple Music subscription. For another, there are times where I don't need navigation or other CarPlay features, and I just want to listen to some streaming music.

Ideally, they'd be working on both.

I use Waze all the time, for almost everywhere I go, to avoid traffic and cops.
Avoiding the cops, are you? I am going to call them and tell them to put out an ABP.🤣🤣🤣🤣

The bottom screenshot was more believable than the top with the CarPlay and Android Auto section. The iPhone 8 being connected that people called out as fake didn’t bother me as we test on iOS devices all the time. We typically hand the user phones down to the devs during upgrade times. Only time we would give them new hardware for testing is if something specific is needed that’s in a new device only.

I do use maps anytime I have to go beyond a few minutes from my house. I live in Dallas and traffic is totally unpredictable so traffic info is a must. It’s one of the reasons I’m in favor of CarPlay as I find Google Maps and Apple Maps to be very accurate concerning traffic with near real time updates.

The bottom screenshot was more believable than the top with the CarPlay and Android Auto section. The iPhone 8 being connected that people called out as fake didn’t bother me as we test on iOS devices all the time. We typically hand the user phones down to the devs during upgrade times. Only time we would give them new hardware for testing is if something specific is needed that’s in a new device only.
Bottom screenshot had tons of issues, not the least of which is the fact that the Apple CarPlay & Android Auto icon is *an entirely different color*

It’s shopped.

Found this on Motortrends website.

Attachments

• 74D7F720-6F10-47C3-AFE0-FB66AFF5858C.jpeg
    74D7F720-6F10-47C3-AFE0-FB66AFF5858C.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 151
Per conference call:

CarPlay is in beta testing, release is to be done shortly
I did not hear that, but glad you caught it. I heard Peter get a little defensive and evade the question and say something about “future updates”. He also said something about “we are always exploring our options”. Not sure how to decode that. It went by fast, so maybe I misheard.

Back