Car Washing...what are your tips and tricks

I would only use a random orbital unit on well worn paint that has been out in the sun or a car that has micro scratches from the last person that did not know how to use one properly. There is a learning curve to their use and many levels of polish and pads to learn. Learning on a 100k car with new paint can be a disaster no matter how easy the directions make it sound. Learn to clay bar by hand first if you find it necessary.

Given the upcoming road trip, sans desert what windshield cleaner do you recommend? Just get Windex?

image_39212e0e-2746-4f75-a1f5-c0a9e1430797_compact_cropped.jpg
Americana Global Ceramic Window Cleaner (Formerly Clarity) × 1
This is the best windshield cleaner I have ever used. You can buy it directly from Detailing Connect.

Car washing trick just take it to an automated car wash for $8. Takes 3-5 mins

I only go to true touchless car washes where it’s laser guided and avail in some gas stations.

Given the upcoming road trip, sans desert what windshield cleaner do you recommend? Just get Windex?
If you get windex, avoid ones with ammonia - they can damage window tinting film. On a forum for upscale cars like this, people will use specialized products but plain old water works really well. If tar or something other than dirt, dust, bugs get on your windshield, then a specialized product is needed but for regular cleaning, water, a microfiber towel for cleaning and another for drying are all you need. Something that dramatically increased the effectiveness of my window cleaning was being told to WET the glass, don't lightly spray it.

So are random orbit buffers a no, no? Just found mine during move.
"Buffer" is a confusing term. It can apply to devices meant strictly for applying and removing car wax or a polisher that can remove swirls and oxidized paint. With the products available today, unless you're like @MPawelek and enjoy waxing your car(s) monthly (I think there was post where he said he regularly waxed his cars) with traditional car wax, there is no need for the former. As pointed out, the latter should only be used on cars that have developed swirls or the clear coat has turned cloudy. A lot of paint protection products today are just wipe on, wipe off.

I only go to true touchless car washes where it’s laser guided and avail in some gas stations.
Still don't trust them to grab my wheel and take it through the wash lol
The one true nice touchless here does that

Invisible Glass works well, is safe for tinted windows, and is inexpensive and widely available. Also pick up some disinfecting wipes for the charger handle - they're usually filthy. https://www.invisibleglass.com/

Hand sanitizer tends to accumulate on my steering wheels, and I’ve found the Griot’s garage interior cleaner is good antidote for that.

After four National Parks and choosing the Santa Cruz interior...

Will need a good washing. I'm going to need to clean the interior carpet and doors. Has anyone done this yet? Any recommendations for best cleaner? I'm not going to post pictures here, the horror, LOL. It's not that bad, dry dirt, no mud. I think vacuum will get most out of carpets doors will need to be cleaned.
20220701_095801.jpg

Tioga pass ruined getting home with a decently clean car.

After four National Parks and choosing the Santa Cruz interior...

Will need a good washing. I'm going to need to clean the interior carpet and doors. Has anyone done this yet? Any recommendations for best cleaner? I'm not going to post pictures here, the horror, LOL. It's not that bad, dry dirt, no mud. I think vacuum will get most out of carpets doors will need to be cleaned.
View attachment 3194

Tioga pass ruined getting home with a decently clean car.
I used the Chemical Guys leather cleaner to wipe down the leather in my car
Works well with just some elbow grease put in.

I did my first waterless wash today. Was fairly easy thanks to the ceramic coating and turned out fairly well. My car is definitely shinier than it was before, but my PPF guy specifically recommended these products, so hopefully the bit of extra shine doesn't stick around for too long (although I don't hate the way it looks, it just takes some of the 'matte-ness' away).

I used the following:
- Started with this to remove the bugs from the front bumper
- Washed with this
- Sprayed with this to break down the polymers from the wash to restore the ceramic hydrophobicity
- Cleaned the windows/roof with this

For towels, I used a combination of the towels that came with the kits linked above, as well as extra hyper-soft towels from Shine Supply and these from Amazon to do the wash and second spray. For the windows, I used the towels that came with the window cleaner, as well as these from Amazon. I used the basic microfibers from Costco to clean around the bottoms of the panels and the wheels.

All in all, it took me about an hour, which I thought was good for my first time cleaning the car.

My car is definitely shinier than it was before
Other companies make waterless wash spray specifically for matte finish cars or at least don't add ingredients to enhance shine...just loosen dirt and add lubrication. It's the wash you are using that's adding shine.

Other companies make waterless wash spray specifically for matte finish cars or at least don't add ingredients to enhance shine...just loosen dirt and add lubrication. It's the wash you are using that's adding shine.
That's what I figured, but that's what my installer recommended, so I bought it. Just bought 2 more to try out:
McKee's 37 MK37-492 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant (Waterless Wash & Clear Sealant for Matte & Satin Paint & Wraps), 22 fl. oz, Black https://a.co/d/3xTWrAm

Dr. Beasley's Matte Waterless Wash - 12 oz., High Lubricity Formula, Made for All Matte Finishes, Readily Biodegradable https://a.co/d/9ujee4f

Anyone have any experience with these or any others they'd recommend?

I've historically used ammonia to remove hard stuck on bug residue from the cars front end, any ideas on the Air? I'm going to have 2,530 miles worth.

I like to use those self-serve car wash stations that provide you all the tools you need and you just pay for the time you’re using them. All the fun of washing the car, none of the tedious parts. The only important trick I learned was that the most important step for my black GT is to douse the thing thoroughly with the soft water hose at the end so it dries with no spots!

has anyone ever used this Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine product? got this from a tesla forum. i was originally planning to get a pressure washer and follow Chemical guys' washing videos but i live in California and we're in a drought season (and many more to come) and i want to do my part to save/reduce water.

has anyone ever used this Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine product? got this from a tesla forum. i was originally planning to get a pressure washer and follow Chemical guys' washing videos but i live in California and we're in a drought season (and many more to come) and i want to do my part to save/reduce water.
It’s great.

It's great, but it's not meant for a full wash. Mostly dust and minor dirt. If you have a lot of buildup you'll have to do a normal wash.

Back