Car Washing...what are your tips and tricks

Oh, never mind. The study was paid for by the The International Carwash Association. I know the results without even reading the paper. 😁
This is all you need to read, 2nd paragraph, 1st page

This important study concluded that automobile owners should avoid washing their
vehicles at home. Only a professional car wash can provide the proper amounts of water
and water pressure needed along with the appropriate soaps and waxes to safely and
effectively clean your vehicle.

Should you use this if you have full PPF and ceramic coating as I was told not to add any wax?
I would think it be ok because it doesn't seem to leave a residue but would be good to ask the install shop. In the video they show using it on interior materials too.

So clear coat was first used in 1980's so under good care, washing and waxing isn't enough?

So clear coat was first used in 1980's so under good care, washing and waxing isn't enough?
The PPF is really to prevent paint chipping from small rocks and stuff. The ceramic makes it so washing is actually easier and you don't have to wax after, just wash and dry.

The PPF is really to prevent paint chipping from small rocks and stuff. The ceramic makes it so washing is actually easier and you don't have to wax after, just wash and dry.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks! Being in the Midwest you can only wash your own car half the year, LOL

I have a hot water pressure washer that I use for my smoker, should I avoid hot water on the car?

So, who swears by ceramic coating for the interior of the car? If so, why do you think it's better than the standard options (scotch guard, leather treatments, etc.)?

Turns out my pressure washer can accept inlet water temp as high as 125 degrees. So at some point I hope Lucid can let us know that highest temp water to safely use on the paint.

I never knew washing a car with hot water was a thing until now

So did a little experiment where I had SunTek PPF on the front, self-applied Adams Graphene ceramic spray on the rest of the car. The SunTek PPF is awesome at being hydrophobic and being easy to wash. It does however show water spots like crazy. The Graphene ceramic is also super easy to wash and just as hydrophobic as the PPF, with the caveat that you need good lighting, the right temperature and ideal surface prep before you applied it. I had a mishap when applying it as my kid had a severe allergic reaction to something in the yard just as I was wiping off the Graphene, so I had to be away from the car for several hours, and ended up with a few ugly “high spots” that I have not been able to correct off the car despite calling Adams and following their advice, but I’m gonna try one more thing they recommend before having my PPF guy redo the ceramic (he’s redoing hood PPF for free anyway because they got some fingerprints underneath, likely not noticeable on Silver car but looks bad in black car).

TL:DR version: SunTek PPF great, self applied Graphene ceramic only great under perfect conditions. I figured I’d save $1000 doing the ceramic myself but that may not work out.

Also, black car looks AWESOME when clean, like an obsidian black mirror, but if you’re in a high pollen area it will turn yellow after 24 hours and looks bad. Get a silver or grey car if that bothers you.

I never knew washing a car with hot water was a thing until now
Yeah wouldn’t that increase water spots because now vehicle surface temp is higher and water evaporates faster and leaves salts behind?

Hot water always helps remove dirt and grime off surfaces compared to cold water. The problem is figuring out the correct temperature. At some point the heat will help remove any wax or ceramic coating also. I have a diesel boiler connected to my largest pressure washer to remove grease and dirt off large farm machinery and I can crank it up to 250F which will peel paint off of most metal. We have to use special gloves and face shield at those temperatures. Having said that I would never use a pressure washer or really hot water on any automotive paint. Your car, your choice.

Hot water always helps remove dirt and grime off surfaces compared to cold water. The problem is figuring out the correct temperature. At some point the heat will help remove any wax or ceramic coating also. I have a diesel boiler connected to my largest pressure washer to remove grease and dirt off large farm machinery and I can crank it up to 250F which will peel paint off of most metal. We have to use special gloves and face shield at those temperatures. Having said that I would never use a pressure washer or really hot water on any automotive paint. Your car, your choice.
Well, I think you discovered how to get a grey/silver car. Just pressure wash the paint off to get down to the aluminum! Duh! Cmon Lucid step up your game!

Not sure you can get the aluminum to "harmonize" with the plastic bits though...

This reminds me of that study done a few years ago, that later went viral when everyone was becoming obsessed with hand washing due to COVID. They found hot water may get more dirt off your hands than cold, but only at such extreme temperatures that your hands would be burned in the process.

Good soap and time spent lathering, they found, was far more important than water temperature.

So dumb question incoming. How do you wash the microfiber towels? Do you use your standard laundry detergent, or do you throw the towels away?
Just wash normal, but ABSOLUTELY NO SOFTENER or post wash stuff. No drying sheets either

Also, You get what you pay for with microfiber towels. The ones you pay $5-$6 apiece for, or more, are much better (fluffiler) and last longer than the 10 packs for $10 ones.
3E02550A-131A-4E46-B4F2-9DFF0512E755.jpeg

So dumb question incoming. How do you wash the microfiber towels? Do you use your standard laundry detergent, or do you throw the towels away?
For any towel that you’ve applied hydrophobic stuff to like ceramic spray, wax etc, throw it away, otherwise it will coat your washing machine and make for an unhappy wife. Otherwise do everything @hydbob said and get those fluffy edgeless microfiber towels @MPawelek posted. They’re also great for wiping off pollen and dust too, I always keep a couple in the trunk along with a bottle of spot cleaner.

Just wash normal, but ABSOLUTELY NO SOFTENER or post wash stuff. No drying sheets either

Exactly. NO DRYER SHEETS! Also, use AIR DRY. Use the lowest drying temperature so that the microfibres don’t get burned.

Finally, or I should say, initially, wash your microfibre towels at the hottest temperature setting.

For any towel that you’ve applied hydrophobic stuff to like ceramic spray, wax etc, throw it away, otherwise it will coat your washing machine and make for an unhappy wife. Otherwise do everything @hydbob said and get those fluffy edgeless microfiber towels @MPawelek posted. They’re also great for wiping off pollen and dust too, I always keep a couple in the trunk along with a bottle of spot cleaner.
The wax ones I've always washed just on hot, does that mean my washer has a wax buildup?!?!

Back