• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Car Internet/Connectivity

smokey7722

I am considering the purchase of a GT and there is effectively no AT&T service in my area. None. At all. The day I purchased my Volvo S90, I ripped their AT&T sim out of the trunk and put a Tmobile one in and life was good with all functions working (they did not initially). While I know I can connect the GT to my house WiFi (from what I have read), my concern is the lack of AT&T support at all elsewhere. I searched a bunch of can't find any information on confirmation that Lucid uses an eSim but have found effectively no reference of a physical SIM anywhere for me to be able to swap so I am genuinely concerned on this front should I decide to pull the trigger on a purchase.

I know I can go the extreme and put a dedicated hotspot device with a Tmobile SIM in the car but that's a bit annoying when the car itself should be capable.

Anyone have any info on confirmation that AT&T eSim is how these are setup and if there are any ways to change carrier in an area that has no service?

I am considering the purchase of a GT and there is effectively no AT&T service in my area. None. At all. The day I purchased my Volvo S90, I ripped their AT&T sim out of the trunk and put a Tmobile one in and life was good with all functions working (they did not initially). While I know I can connect the GT to my house WiFi (from what I have read), my concern is the lack of AT&T support at all elsewhere. I searched a bunch of can't find any information on confirmation that Lucid uses an eSim but have found effectively no reference of a physical SIM anywhere for me to be able to swap so I am genuinely concerned on this front should I decide to pull the trigger on a purchase.

I know I can go the extreme and put a dedicated hotspot device with a Tmobile SIM in the car but that's a bit annoying when the car itself should be capable.

Anyone have any info on confirmation that AT&T eSim is how these are setup and if there are any ways to change carrier in an area that has no service?
We’ve not gotten an answer on this, but I can tell you Lucid is aware. I have not found how to swap SIMs, if there is a way.

The hotspot is annoying, I agree, but presently your best option.

We’ve not gotten an answer on this, but I can tell you Lucid is aware. I have not found how to swap SIMs, if there is a way.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk M6 and it works well (can remove its battery so reduce the lithium heat/charge concern depending on its placement) and powered it via the dashcam battery pack aux output in my 4Runner which does work but I agree, slightly annoying. It does however give the parking mode of the dashcams a constant cloud connectivity option though so there's a plus to it I guess.

Thanks for confirmation!

WiFi at home would give you OTA software and maps updates, but without a mobile data signal, you'd lose streaming audio services and need to put Lucid's nav system in to Offline mode to be able to navigate (it does not switch automatically as does Google maps and Apple maps). I haven't had a lot of luck with Lucid's offline mode. You could avoid both of these issues by using Carplay for audio and navigation, if you have an iPhone.

WiFi at home would give you OTA software and maps updates, but without a mobile data signal, you'd lose streaming audio services and need to put Lucid's nav system in to Offline mode to be able to navigate (it does not switch automatically as does Google maps and Apple maps). I haven't had a lot of luck with Lucid's offline mode. You could avoid both of these issues by using Carplay for audio and navigation, if you have an iPhone. If you're an Android user, you could join our "Android Auto Thursday" club.
I have no problems letting it use WiFi at home and there is an AP in the garage to guarantee signal for both a vehicle in the garage or driveway. However this is more of when I am not at home. Anywhere in my area AT&T is abysmal. In addition, if I go to the local market here, any dashcam's cloud connectivity would be useless on the vehicle hotspot as there'd be no signal.

We can ignore the "vehicle is parked and thus hotspot is off" portion of the discussion as I am well aware and is one of the reasons I am leaning towards a hotspot anyway or at least considering dashcam's that have builtin connectivity for them. Historically though I put two full dashcam setups (4 cameras) in so I had 360 recording and I am not interested in paying for 2 sim's, so a hotspot consolidates it so both systems can work off the one sim.

While I am an Android user, I also don't use Android Auto. I am one of those weird people who have a watch that only tells time, expect a phone to be primarily a phone and the gps and functionality of a vehicle to be from the vehicle. Less reliance when one component fails and well... I am also stubborn lol.

Lucid sales called me to confirm my interest and scheduled appointment, mentioning the new 10k promo on top of the existing ones. I asked her about the internet connectivity concern and she claimed she will reach out internally to figure out what the options are if AT&T coverage is not available in the region where the vehicle will be. Will let everyone know what she says though I am not expecting a miracle here.

Lucid sales called me to confirm my interest and scheduled appointment, mentioning the new 10k promo on top of the existing ones. I asked her about the internet connectivity concern and she claimed she will reach out internally to figure out what the options are if AT&T coverage is not available in the region where the vehicle will be. Will let everyone know what she says though I am not expecting a miracle here.
Wait, what new 10k promo?

Haha they added a flat 10k off this month it seems. I think she called it the Air promo? The 10k is for a GT, its lower for a Touring or Pure but its still a flat cash discount

Funny enough, since I asked this question to Lucid sales they have 100% ignored me. The rep who was working with me has ignored emails and phone calls and if I call in they just try to put me back on with her. When I mentioned how I wasn't thrilled with how sales is handling basic questions (I had a few others based on delivery and registration and such) one of the reps asked me if I wanted to cancel my scheduled test drive. Glad to see the company is really trying to sell their cars - I was shocked at them saying that.

Funny enough, since I asked this question to Lucid sales they have 100% ignored me. The rep who was working with me has ignored emails and phone calls and if I call in they just try to put me back on with her. When I mentioned how I wasn't thrilled with how sales is handling basic questions (I had a few others based on delivery and registration and such) one of the reps asked me if I wanted to cancel my scheduled test drive. Glad to see the company is really trying to sell their cars - I was shocked at them saying that.
That's no good, paging @mcr16 .

But I also don't think sales knows anything specifically about e-sim.

That's no good, paging @mcr16 .

But I also don't think sales knows anything specifically about e-sim.

Anwar - the woman who was working with me absolutely outright said she had no idea but that she would ask mgmt and try to get me an answer. I did not expect her to have the answer given the lack of info available anywhere it seems but for them to ignore me now for >2 weeks and when I called, they said they would just cancel my test drive was shocking. They need to sell the cars, so I don't get why they would basically tell me they don't want to sell me one when I asked what I feel is a very simple and reasonable question

Anwar - the woman who was working with me absolutely outright said she had no idea but that she would ask mgmt and try to get me an answer. I did not expect her to have the answer given the lack of info available anywhere it seems but for them to ignore me now for >2 weeks and when I called, they said they would just cancel my test drive was shocking. They need to sell the cars, so I don't get why they would basically tell me they don't want to sell me one when I asked what I feel is a very simple and reasonable question
Is e-sim a make or break item for you?

Is e-sim a make or break item for you?

It depends on how the vehicle will function and what I lose with no coverage. I have no AT&T coverage at home (the car can use wifi here from the house) nor is there any real coverage anywhere around where I live either. I had to pull the AT&T sim out of my Volvo and replace it with a Tmobile one for the exact same reason. The Volvo even with a hotspot just didn't work well with a SIM that had no coverage. I don't know how the Lucid will react. I know from previous posts and reading the forums that most base functionality will work and I would have to put navigation in offline mode. I don't do streaming as I keep a hard drive in my vehicles with music (another topic I have been following on other threads related to FLAC and usb drives).

Yeah this is unacceptable. I’d make sure to talk to a higher up and relay your experience.

It depends on how the vehicle will function and what I lose with no coverage. I have no AT&T coverage at home (the car can use wifi here from the house) nor is there any real coverage anywhere around where I live either. I had to pull the AT&T sim out of my Volvo and replace it with a Tmobile one for the exact same reason. The Volvo even with a hotspot just didn't work well with a SIM that had no coverage. I don't know how the Lucid will react. I know from previous posts and reading the forums that most base functionality will work and I would have to put navigation in offline mode. I don't do streaming as I keep a hard drive in my vehicles with music (another topic I have been following on other threads related to FLAC and usb drives).
Offline maps work fine, as does your favorite offline maps if you have an iPhone with CarPlay. Otherwise, you just won’t be able to stream without WiFi/cell service. OTA updates can be done on wifi at home.

By any chance is her name Anwar Ibrahim?

Yeah this is unacceptable. I’d make sure to talk to a higher up and relay your experience.

Offline maps work fine, as does your favorite offline maps if you have an iPhone with CarPlay. Otherwise, you just won’t be able to stream without WiFi/cell service. OTA updates can be done on wifi at home.
I haven't tried calling back again to try to get to someone in management but the last person I spoke with absolutely shocked me that he was effectively about to kill a possible sale on an AGT.

I don't have an iPhone nor do I use Android Auto - I expect the car to handle these functions. I know I am the 1% of people who still desire this. I assume remote start and connectivity to the vehicle will not function (when not at home on wifi) as that goes over data?

By any chance is her name Anwar Ibrahim?
Yup thats her! She was amazing until the moment I asked about two things 1) this AT&T question and 2) how registration and delivery work. I have since gotten most of that from posts on the forum (being able to deliver to a different state then registration and that most people are waiting months to get their registrations and sometimes plates).

I don't have an iPhone nor do I use Android Auto - I expect the car to handle these functions. I know I am the 1% of people who still desire this. I assume remote start and connectivity to the vehicle will not function (when not at home on wifi) as that goes over data?
No worries! I was just mentioning it as an option.

Mobile key will work great without wifi or LTE, but yes, remote climate, and etc., require WiFi or LTE.

No worries! I was just mentioning it as an option.

Mobile key will work great without wifi or LTE, but yes, remote climate, and etc., require WiFi or LTE.

Yea and that's one of the annoyances. Being in Las Vegas I use remote start often in the summer, for good reason. I get why car mfg's are signing with AT&T as just about all of them do but its just shocking to me how little info there is about swapping sim's (physical or esim) with another GSM carrier in Lucid's because AT&T doesn't have coverage nationwide so I am just shocked at how I was ignored and effectively shunned after I asked the sales team about it. It is almost like they are purposely ignoring me because they know AT&T is bad and they can't do anything at the moment, or at least can't say anything.

Yea and that's one of the annoyances. Being in Las Vegas I use remote start often in the summer, for good reason. I get why car mfg's are signing with AT&T as just about all of them do but its just shocking to me how little info there is about swapping sim's (physical or esim) with another GSM carrier in Lucid's because AT&T doesn't have coverage nationwide so I am just shocked at how I was ignored and effectively shunned after I asked the sales team about it. It is almost like they are purposely ignoring me because they know AT&T is bad and they can't do anything at the moment, or at least can't say anything.
Yeah, I understand the experience wasn’t good. Paging @mcr16 in case they can look at it and help out, but no promises of course

Yeah, I understand the experience wasn’t good. Paging @mcr16 in case they can look at it and help out, but no promises of course

And its definitely appreciated. I'll be in San Diego anyway which is why I booked the test drive and it's only costing me ~$40 for the transportation to get to the Lucid location there but if I was making a special trip in, I would have canceled honestly just from how this sales process has been going. We'll see how things go as I really would be happy to buy the car if stuff like this can be figured out.

Back