Cancelling Order

I, too, had consider canceling my order and going with a Genesis or Tesla Mod S simply because I am too old to sit at the side of a highway with a $150k brick. I love driving my Tesla but the Lucid is in another ballpark and I want to experience it before I die. As mentioned, I am almost 80 and willing to take a chance still. I am excited but not thrilled at the long delivery times but, if borski will help me setup the stereo system, I can put on "Aqua Lung" and motor on down the highway at 55mph or close. (haha)

I thought I was the oldest here (77) but you have me beat. I am still holding on to my Pure reservation. Here in Scottsdale, 55 is the speed folks drive on urban streets. When I set my cruise control at 75 (ten miles over the 65 mph speed limit on the freeway) most cars are passing me.

I do want a performance vehicle but to me 0-60 is less important than 65-85 to handle passing slow moving traffic.

My concern is not turtle mode but warnings before turtle move stops the car. I can live with the rare incidence so long as I am adequately warned and can safely get off the street.
I have never heard of an instance where turtle mode didn’t give you adequate time to get off the street. It’s almost always happened while parked, but the rare times it happened while driving I haven’t heard of it being instant.

The 12v failures are the only case of that, to my knowledge.

I, too, had consider canceling my order and going with a Genesis or Tesla Mod S simply because I am too old to sit at the side of a highway with a $150k brick. I love driving my Tesla but the Lucid is in another ballpark and I want to experience it before I die. As mentioned, I am almost 80 and willing to take a chance still. I am excited but not thrilled at the long delivery times but, if borski will help me setup the stereo system, I can put on "Aqua Lung" and motor on down the highway at 55mph or close. (haha)
+6, 0, -2 :)

I don't get why people think they can order a Genesis (uses the same equipment as Hyundai/Kia - GV60 is the exact same platform but G80 just uses same equipment but different platform) or a Tesla and they aren't going to face the exact same issues with hardware or 12V systems as with the Lucid. Go on their forums. Dead cars. New cars needing motor replacement. 12V issues. If you aren't going to buy a Lucid due to concerns over being stranded at the side of the road, not sure there is a luxury EV you would be comfortable with. EQS, if the 12V battery dies, you aren't allowed to jump it, only an authorized tech is allowed to but I haven't heard of any serious issues with that car. BMW recalled 87 iX and i4 vehicles and told the owners to stop driving due to risk of fire with defective batteries. Their forum also has complaints about bugs and components needing to be replaced.

I don't get why people think they can order a Genesis (uses the same equipment as Hyundai/Kia - GV60 is the exact same platform but G80 just uses same equipment but different platform) or a Tesla and they aren't going to face the exact same issues with hardware or 12V systems as with the Lucid. Go on their forums. Dead cars. New cars needing motor replacement. 12V issues. If you aren't going to buy a Lucid due to concerns over being stranded at the side of the road, not sure there is a luxury EV you would be comfortable with. EQS, if the 12V battery dies, you aren't allowed to jump it, only an authorized tech is allowed to but I haven't heard of any serious issues with that car. BMW recalled 87 iX and i4 vehicles and told the owners to stop driving due to risk of fire with defective batteries. Their forum also has complaints about bugs and components needing to be replaced.
Because the idea of having a defective car from an established company is more of a comfort 🤷‍♂️

Because the idea of having a defective car from an established company is more of a comfort 🤷‍♂️
And with Tezzzla the bois gave a wide pass ...
Wheel fell of? No problem. Next update levitation.
Roof blew over. No problem. Elon was giving us a 'free' convertible. How generous.
Panels incorrect. No worries. We will duct tape.
Software bad. Nope. User error. And we will try to grace you with an update.

:)

It’s the same reason corporations keep hiring large consulting companies to not deliver projects. If the small consulting company didn’t deliver, the person hiring them would get in trouble. But if a large consulting company fails, no worries. They’ll just hire them again next year when budgets replenish and they can try again.

@hydrobob
I appreciate your insights on Lucid and this forum, but I have never had any problems with my Toyotas, Audis, Mercedes, Ferrari and my first EV, a Tesla. I have had over 45 new cars in my lifetime and my father was an auto mechanic. I am a pretty successful businessman and engineer, and I made the comment that I was willing to take a chance on Lucid because of its innovative designs and new technology. I do not derive comfort just because I may have a problem from an established company, and I feel your comment was inappropriate for this forum since it borders on a personal insult. Sorry, my opinion.

It’s the same reason corporations keep hiring large consulting companies to not deliver projects. If the small consulting company didn’t deliver, the person hiring them would get in trouble. But if a large consulting company fails, no worries. They’ll just hire them again next year when budgets replenish and they can try again.
IBM made a killing with that thought process for many years; DP manager gets beat on by management, DP manager responds but I hired IBM 😂

@hydrobob
I appreciate your insights on Lucid and this forum, but I have never had any problems with my Toyotas, Audis, Mercedes, Ferrari and my first EV, a Tesla. I have had over 45 new cars in my lifetime and my father was an auto mechanic. I am a pretty successful businessman and engineer, and I made the comment that I was willing to take a chance on Lucid because of its innovative designs and new technology. I do not derive comfort just because I may have a problem from an established company, and I feel your comment was inappropriate for this forum since it borders on a personal insult. Sorry, my opinion.
I didn't mean it as a personal insult, but I believe the sentiment that @SDHacker has shared is correct. Besides Tesla (arguably) have any companies proven they can make a reliable EV? While traditional automakers have history, EVs are new to them as well. We've seen multiple examples of some of the largest auto manufacturers fall flat on their faces to produce a quality EV product. Toyota has offered to buyback all their BZ4BX because of the wheels falling off. Hyundai had issues with their 12vs draining and bricking their cars. Porsche had to recall all their Taycans produced during specific years because the infotainment had risk of shutting the car off. Ford had to recall their Mach-E due to the battery melting some components and rendering the car undriveable.

The sentiment that legacy automakers are better at making an EV is a falsehood in my opinion. But it doesn't stop people, and recently at least few on this forum from cancelling their orders for fear that Lucid can't quite make it, regardless of the fact, that Lucid is experiencing issues that legacy automakers are having as well.

I didn't mean it as a personal insult, but I believe the sentiment that @SDHacker has shared is correct. Besides Tesla (arguably) have any companies proven they can make a reliable EV? While traditional automakers have history, EVs are new to them as well. We've seen multiple examples of some of the largest auto manufacturers fall flat on their faces to produce a quality EV product. Toyota has offered to buyback all their BZ4BX because of the wheels falling off. Hyundai had issues with their 12vs draining and bricking their cars. Porsche had to recall all their Taycans produced during specific years because the infotainment had risk of shutting the car off. Ford had to recall their Mach-E due to the battery melting some components and rendering the car undriveable.

The sentiment that legacy automakers are better at making an EV is a falsehood in my opinion. But it doesn't stop people, and recently at least few on this forum from cancelling their orders for fear that Lucid can't quite make it, regardless of the fact, that Lucid is experiencing issues that legacy automakers are having as well.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am getting anxious and frustrated so somewhat more sensitive to things. As I mentioned, I am almost 80 and eager to get this GT on the road. I do know the pain of "stranded" on the side of the road... I also have had a couple of XKE Jags, a 1954 MG TF, TR-3s and 4s, 2 Porsches, Ferrari GT, 7 Corvettes, numerous muscle cars and then moved on to Jeeps, Audis, Caddies, and Toyotas before deciding to try EV.
I do hold Lucid to a higher standard based on their engineering staff. Many of our missile projects were "new and never been done before" but engineers strive to do all the "what if " scenarios to ensure their product works. I feel that Lucid does not have that quality control paradigm in place yet and I am not sure how much slack we should give them since "making excuses they are a new company with a new product" is starting to wear on me like "it's because of the pandemic".
That said, it is a new auto world. Lucid has started with a business model that had a few hiccups but is improving. I envision the mini nuclear powerplants Bill Gates is proposing will be the answer to our aging power grid infrastructure and new battery technology using common elements will reduce costs. EVs will probably be the norm sooner than most think. For the forum readers, remember, my first vehicle was a 1947 Chevy my dad gave me. I spent hours cleaning it and working on the engine. I believe gas was about 31-33 cents a gallon.
So, I am stepping down off the soapbox and just reading from now on. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am getting anxious and frustrated so somewhat more sensitive to things. As I mentioned, I am almost 80 and eager to get this GT on the road. I do know the pain of "stranded" on the side of the road... I also have had a couple of XKE Jags, a 1954 MG TF, TR-3s and 4s, 2 Porsches, Ferrari GT, 7 Corvettes, numerous muscle cars and then moved on to Jeeps, Audis, Caddies, and Toyotas before deciding to try EV.
I do hold Lucid to a higher standard based on their engineering staff. Many of our missile projects were "new and never been done before" but engineers strive to do all the "what if " scenarios to ensure their product works. I feel that Lucid does not have that quality control paradigm in place yet and I am not sure how much slack we should give them since "making excuses they are a new company with a new product" is starting to wear on me like "it's because of the pandemic".
That said, it is a new auto world. Lucid has started with a business model that had a few hiccups but is improving. I envision the mini nuclear powerplants Bill Gates is proposing will be the answer to our aging power grid infrastructure and new battery technology using common elements will reduce costs. EVs will probably be the norm sooner than most think. For the forum readers, remember, my first vehicle was a 1947 Chevy my dad gave me. I spent hours cleaning it and working on the engine. I believe gas was about 31-33 cents a gallon.
So, I am stepping down off the soapbox and just reading from now on. Thanks
Please don't. Your life experience and wisdom helps contribute to the community. All of us have had a different path to where we are now, but as a community we have an opportunity to learn from each other and bond over a common interest.

Please don't. Your life experience and wisdom helps contribute to the community. All of us have had a different path to where we are now, but as a community we have an opportunity to learn from each other and bond over a common interest.
Without supporting the notion that "established" car companies are a better option, I think the feeling is the buyers believe those companies will be around in the future to make good on warranties, etc. whereas with Lucid and Rivian there are some (not me) who are concerned they may go the way of the DeLorean.

Just want to comment, as a victim of the 12V failure and its associated issues (customer care and roadside assistance) we are still all-in. My wife once again commented on the ride to our weekly Wednesday night family dinner, "I really do like this car, and I do not know what I would want instead". This is from a mother whose son was stranded late at night in a remote location, and we know how protective mothers can be. So I hope my posts are not being taken as we are anti Lucid, we do love the car, it is a pleasure to drive, it is our first EV, and I do not regret my decision to go forward with the purchase even though my friends said "just buy a Model S Plaid". Yes I had to embarrassingly admit to them we experienced a failure, but at the same time I communicated as Scotty P said (We're the MIllers) "No Ragrets" 😀

Without supporting the notion that "established" car companies are a better option, I think the feeling is the buyers believe those companies will be around in the future to make good on warranties, etc. whereas with Lucid and Rivian there are some (not me) who are concerned they may go the way of the DeLorean.
No idea what you mean. Delorean is releasing a new EV, so all seems fine to me! It’s like we’ve gone back to the future ;)

All vehicles have the potential for failure, and I was also dithering on my order as I saw some of the component failures being seen on this forum. I also realized that in this concentrated opinion environment, fewer people take the time to compliment in a detailed way, and I am really hoping Lucid succeeds (and I love the car). The Leaf Plus was a perfectly adequate & reliable EV by an established company for two years until I realized their choice of a CHAdeMO charging system (& lack of operational charging stations) and real-world sub-200 mile range doesn't work in a rural environment long-term. The Tesla MY seemed perfect (higher clearance, storage capacity and 300-mile range) until a road trip exposed to just the one large screen with a file structure to navigate on the highway if I couldn't remember exact wording of commands. After owning the car for only 8 months, the AC-DC computer failed entirely and I was stuck paying for SuperChargers for almost two months (Tesla refused to comp me for the forced Supercharger usage), the component failure fried my Mobile Corded Charger I had purchase with the car, and a 2-month delay waiting for parts and mobile service. It took almost a month after that to get Tesla to admit that it was not my NEMA 14-50 outlet that caused the failure, and that the failure is most likely what fried the charger and they needed to replace it at no cost to me. This failure didn't sour me on the car - the road trip did. The techs helping diagnose the problem were awesome, but the struggle with Tesla to "make me whole" also left a bad taste. THAT is where Lucid needs to shine when problems/failures come up. I'm in for the long-term now!

Not really. The reason I liked Lucid over Tesla is the quality of the interior, range, and exterior looks, plus I don't consider Tesla a safe alternative either.
My 2020 Model X had these problems, including the 12V issue and getting stuck 50 miles from home. And plenty more. You can check my issues on the Tesla forum under ZKHAN. I also agree with why you like Lucid over Tesla.

After toying with the idea of cancelling my order I decided to go ahead and take delivery of the Lucid. I feel Lucid can deal with their growing pains and the issues can't be worse than my first Model S in 2015. Besides, when I looked for alternatives there was nothing out there that was better.

After toying with the idea of cancelling my order I decided to go ahead and take delivery of the Lucid. I feel Lucid can deal with their growing pains and the issues can't be worse than my first Model S in 2015. Besides, when I looked for alternatives there was nothing out there that was better.
Glad to hear that. As far as drivability it is one of the best cars out there. I elect to be patient with the software issues, as this is a monumental task for any company with all of the integrated tech hardware. I hope you enjoy it!

I can relate. The research I did put me at the same place where you came out on. Everyone has different critera and preferences but, from what I discovered, all EVs are having issues, many of them the same ones. Thus, I decided to just blaze ahead and go with the Lucid. It ireally is the best in all of the categories which are critical to my needs and likes. I pick up my car tomorrow and am very excited.

Back