Cancelling Order

After toying with the idea of cancelling my order I decided to go ahead and take delivery of the Lucid. I feel Lucid can deal with their growing pains and the issues can't be worse than my first Model S in 2015. Besides, when I looked for alternatives there was nothing out there that was better.
As @DJL commented, different folks, different strokes.

And if your benchmark is 2015 MS, you are well ahead of the curve. :) ... You will not be sorry. Welcome to the club.

Cheers

I've got 7500 miles on my Air GT built in March and nothing has disabled the car yet, and I'm going on another long road trip next week without hesitation. I got the turtle once with severely reduced power for 30 seconds early on in ownership, but it fixed itself without even a software reboot and never happened again. I've had a few issues with the trim, have a rear passenger window control that doesn't work in the back seat, and yeah the weekly reboots needed due to software are annoying, but the OTA have made this car MUCH better than it was when delivered and it was still a good car then. Meanwhile my 2019 Mercedes stalled on the highway, gas cap was prone to cracking and it cracked and somehow either sucked air into the fuel system or messed up the pressure? That was fun just dying on I95 having to pull over on the shoulder on a blind corner. And that was after the car required 3 service visits in the first 6 months of ownership due to a faulty airbag control unit which eventually ended up as a recall. So as far as my anecdotal experience, Lucid has beat the German automaker with 100 years experience in terms of reliability so far, haha.

This is not to minimize Lucid's flaws. There are many. Software and fit/finish with trim/alignment are their two biggest areas to improve in my opinion, and as far as the 12V failures, each one requires lengthy troubleshooting and not all have the same solution, so I wouldn't expect any verdict from Lucid yet as they're still figuring out this small but nonetheless concerning problem. Any prospective owner needs to have some risk tolerance built in, otherwise the only car you should buy is a Lexus, which is boring but reliable.

Even after I get my Lucid I'll be hanging on to my 2015 Honda Accord. I love that car and I did some aftermarket tweaks to round it out. I still can't wait for Pure/Touring to get in motion, but at least if something does go wrong, I'll have my trusty stalwart as a backup for at least the near term.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am getting anxious and frustrated so somewhat more sensitive to things. As I mentioned, I am almost 80 and eager to get this GT on the road. I do know the pain of "stranded" on the side of the road... I also have had a couple of XKE Jags, a 1954 MG TF, TR-3s and 4s, 2 Porsches, Ferrari GT, 7 Corvettes, numerous muscle cars and then moved on to Jeeps, Audis, Caddies, and Toyotas before deciding to try EV.
I do hold Lucid to a higher standard based on their engineering staff. Many of our missile projects were "new and never been done before" but engineers strive to do all the "what if " scenarios to ensure their product works. I feel that Lucid does not have that quality control paradigm in place yet and I am not sure how much slack we should give them since "making excuses they are a new company with a new product" is starting to wear on me like "it's because of the pandemic".
That said, it is a new auto world. Lucid has started with a business model that had a few hiccups but is improving. I envision the mini nuclear powerplants Bill Gates is proposing will be the answer to our aging power grid infrastructure and new battery technology using common elements will reduce costs. EVs will probably be the norm sooner than most think. For the forum readers, remember, my first vehicle was a 1947 Chevy my dad gave me. I spent hours cleaning it and working on the engine. I believe gas was about 31-33 cents a gallon.
So, I am stepping down off the soapbox and just reading from now on. Thanks
I hear you (well I almost can). I am as old and have owned 84 cars so far. Recently sold our plaid with 5700 miles and zero issues. Seems dumb to sell a zero issue car and keep the imperfect "ooh not again" DEP. However, looking back, the cars I loved and enjoyed the most, were not the reliable ones but the ones that felt good behind the wheel. I loved the 67 911s even though it required carrying a spare fan belt, plugs and points in the glovebox. Same goes for the SM Maserati that ate any tool you dropped in the engine bay. They were the cars I enjoyed driving the most. At the end of the day, most people do buy the car they think is right for them, and I respect that. Don't step down off the soap box. I owned all kinds of cars and have driven just about every Corvette but never owned one.

After toying with the idea of cancelling my order I decided to go ahead and take delivery of the Lucid. I feel Lucid can deal with their growing pains and the issues can't be worse than my first Model S in 2015. Besides, when I looked for alternatives there was nothing out there that was better.
I was in a similar boat and frame of mind about 6 weeks ago and vacillated between fear and excitement. Since I’ve had the car, it’s been 5 percent fear and 95 percent excitement !!! I find the software glitches bothersome but tolerable and even occasionally amusing ( usually just after I floor the car or take a really good corner and still have a smile on my face).
For many glitches, I have found a soft reboot has solved the problem.
Have fun and congratulations!!!

Stratus, thanks for the encouragement. I'm comfortable with my decision. I've taken the approach of don't tell me about the pain just show me the baby. Seeing the baby (flooring it or taking a good corner) is much more interesting than hearing about the pain (software glitches)

Stratus, thanks for the encouragement. I'm comfortable with my decision. I've taken the approach of don't tell me about the pain just show me the baby. Seeing the baby (flooring it or taking a good corner) is much more interesting than hearing about the pain (software glitches)
The pain is there but is tolerable and intermittent. Tidal/audio are my biggest headaches thus far.
Very excited for you !!!

Back