Bumpy ride on Pure with 20” wheels

Garnherr

Cars
Rivian R1T, Lucid Pure
My Pure rides very bumpy with 20” wheels compared to my test drives on 21” wheel GT’s. Does anybody else feel the same? I went on a back to back test drive again with a Lucid sales rep and he confirmed what I feel. Does anybody know if the Pure suspension is adapted to the lower weight? It might just be the Michelin pilot Sport EV tires as well. They seem to have a stiffer sidewall.
Thanks

Everything else being equal, you'd think the 20" would ride smoother than the 21". But like you said, who knows if compromises were made to the Pure's suspension or if the Sport tires are playing a role. We still seem to know very little, officially, about the Pure.

I believe there were suspension differences between the Pure vs the touring/GT.

Don’t remember where the thread was.

Everything else being equal, you'd think the 20" would ride smoother than the 21". But like you said, who knows if compromises were made to the Pure's suspension or if the Sport tires are playing a role. We still seem to know very little, officially, about the Pure.
More likely I think the different rubber compound on the Michelin’s is making more of a difference. My guess is they’re less likely to get damaged, but ride stiffer as a result.

I will order a set of 19” wheels. If the ride is still that bumpy then they most likely changed some hardware or didn’t adapt for the lower weight of the Pure. I sold my plaid because of the stiff ride and was excited after test driving a GT multiple times about the great comfort. Bummer.

More likely I think the different rubber compound on the Michelin’s is making more of a difference. My guess is they’re less likely to get damaged, but ride stiffer as a result.
Hopefully that’s all it is. I’d certainly rather it be a simple tire issue than a compromise in the suspension.

I will order a set of 19” wheels. If the ride is still that bumpy then they most likely changed some hardware or didn’t adapt for the lower weight of the Pure. I sold my plaid because of the stiff ride and was excited after test driving a GT multiple times about the great comfort. Bummer.
Do we know what the weight differences are for the Pure? There would have to be two stipulated weights, one for the AWD Pure and one for the RWD.

Please keep us posted on how the 19” swap works out. I hope it works out for you.

I am curious how does the pure ride and overall comfort vs the plaid? I have the plaid and while a little bumpy I do appreciate being able to adjust ride height and adaptive suspension with air suspension.

if you change from the 20" to 19" inch you'll need a software update. Just a FYI.

The car doesn’t drive if you change wheels without software update??
It does, but as of right now, Lucid doesn't have an option for owners to change the TPMS setting on a wheel swap.

The car doesn’t drive if you change wheels without software update??
Not sure, but when I went to pick up my Touring that originally had 20", I couldn't pick it up until they did a software update. I presume it may have something to do with suspension settings, but that's only a guess.

My Pure rides very bumpy with 20” wheels compared to my test drives on 21” wheel GT’s. Does anybody else feel the same? I went on a back to back test drive again with a Lucid sales rep and he confirmed what I feel. Does anybody know if the Pure suspension is adapted to the lower weight? It might just be the Michelin pilot Sport EV tires as well. They seem to have a stiffer sidewall.
Thanks

I suggest holding off on the 19"s for just a bit.

The suspension has been adapted for Pure. Once your car has 500-800 miles, the ball joint friction should drop as everything sets in. At that point, it should feel like the Grand Touring you test-drove.

The suspension has been adapted for Pure. Once your car has 500-800 miles, the ball joint friction should drop as everything sets in. At that point, it should feel like the Grand Touring you test-drove.
I have 19" and the ride is just fine.

I am curious how does the pure ride and overall comfort vs the plaid? I have the plaid and while a little bumpy I do appreciate being able to adjust ride height and adaptive suspension with air suspension.
The Pure rides much smoother overall even compared to a 2022 Model S. I got the Plaid to be more tolerable by changing to 19" wheels and adding weight into the trunk and frunk. That made a huge difference.

Thanks for reaching out. I am at ~400 miles now. I will add some more miles and see if the ride changes. I tried lowering the air pressure down to 40PSI (from 42) and got really nauseous. Super bumpy. This is the reason I think the Pilot sport EV's sidewalls are stiffer compared to the 21" Pirelli "luxury" compound tires. On my previous EV's lowering the tire pressure always made the ride smoother. The bumpiness is most apparent at slow speeds up to about 40mph over small bumps of which my neighborhood has plenty. Really rough roads are handled nicely.

Thanks for reaching out. I am at ~400 miles now. I will add some more miles and see if the ride changes. I tried lowering the air pressure down to 40PSI (from 42) and got really nauseous. Super bumpy. This is the reason I think the Pilot sport EV's sidewalls are stiffer compared to the 21" Pirelli "luxury" compound tires. On my previous EV's lowering the tire pressure always made the ride smoother. The bumpiness is most apparent at slow speeds up to about 40mph over small bumps of which my neighborhood has plenty. Really rough roads are handled nicely.
Would love to get a bit more info. As a relatively new member of the forum, I cannot (yet) drop you a direct message. Can you see if you can DM me? If not I'll see if our Mod friends can help. Thx!

Would love to get a bit more info. As a relatively new member of the forum, I cannot (yet) drop you a direct message. Can you see if you can DM me? If not I'll see if our Mod friends can help. Thx!
I don't think I can DM you. Maybe the moderators could help.

Is it worse when cornering, and do you feel vibration in the steering? You may actually need a road-force rebalance. This happened to my GT, I had a vibration over certain speeds that was worse when cornering, but if yours is at any speed then maybe it’s not that.

Back