Build quality analysis by Out of Spec Detailing

Both the Plaid and the Lucid have very low front air foils that can be damaged by concrete bump stops, and parking the Plaid is a much more nail-biting experience than the Air.
Speaking of which, I do find it a little tough to park the Lucid sometimes because I'm not sure if I can clear the barrier. Does anyone else sometimes park too far from the barrier because the front camera can't see by the wheels so when you get out, the back end of your Lucid is sticking out of the parking stall by quite a bit?

Wondering if I'm the only one.

I've done tests at home in my garage with lines, buckets and bottles to train myself to accurately measure distance with the front camera.

Speaking of which, I do find it a little tough to park the Lucid sometimes because I'm not sure if I can clear the barrier. Does anyone else sometimes park too far from the barrier because the front camera can't see by the wheels so when you get out, the back end of your Lucid is sticking out of the parking stall by quite a bit?

Wondering if I'm the only one.

I've done tests at home in my garage with lines, buckets and bottles to train myself to accurately measure distance with the front camera.

I rely more on the birds-eye-view for this maneuver. I find it shows the barrier clearly enough to make sure I'm not putting the leading edge of the car over it.

I rely more on the birds-eye-view for this maneuver. I find it shows the barrier clearly enough to make sure I'm not putting the leading edge of the car over it.
Doesn't the birds eye view juet show a small Grey rectangle in front of the car? The barrier should be invisible by the time you get close enough right?

I've done the same test with my mother-in-law. And she lives.
I guess the front cameras are working correctly.

Doesn't the birds eye view juet show a small Grey rectangle in front of the car? The barrier should be invisible by the time you get close enough right?

It does. But I use that rectangle to stop the car as it is about to cover the bump stop. That leaves the air dam a few inches short of the bump stop.

I watched the entire video and like Dave's video, my take is somewhat different than some posts here. I mentioned in respect to Dave's video that I thought he might actually be considering buying a Lucid despite some of his criticisms. He did.

Yes, the detailer here is anal, but don't you want that in a detailer? Yes, he's nitpicking and he himself says that, but again, he's a detailer doing his job. I'd have no qualms having him detail my car.

I don't think he's necessarily being unfair to Lucid. He states unequivocally that he's blown away with the interior. He goes so far as to call it class-leading. That's not someone that's on a mission to 'destroy' Lucid. The few criticisms he had of the interior are the same criticisms I've seen here from owners.

Now, where he picks apart body panel alignment, paint uniformity, etc., he's clearly backing that up with on-camera evidence of his comments. These are not unfounded criticisms. I have no problems with that whatsoever. Surely he picks up things I'd never see or catch, but for some buyers I suspect they would. I think it's clear that Lucid does need to improve their game a bit with body panel alignment. OTOH he clearly states he's seen a significant improvement since the last Lucid he inspected and says several times that Lucid is moving in the right direction.

Although I'm sure Lucid is aware of almost everything he pointed out, I think it still would be a worthwhile video for Lucid to watch.

I mulled over your post for a couple of days and decided to give the video another shot. But when I brought it up on YouTube I was hit with this boldfaced headline:

"Lucid Air Build Quality is Improving But There is Still a Ways to Go!"

"A ways to go" followed by an exclamation point is clearly meant to imply that Lucid's build quality still falls far short of standard, and only viewers who get through the whole video will find out that his views are actually more nuanced.

This is not a proper introduction to serious automotive reviewing. It's the kind of hyperbole that has caused me to fall away from following some of the reviewers who started as balanced presenters but ended in succumbing to the temptations of clickbait tactics to generate views from those looking for axes to grind.

I have owned an early-production Lucid for 14 months, and its build quality is among the best of the cars I have owned. I have already posted on this forum about how many more build/assembly issues we had with the Model S Plaid we bought four months before the Lucid. I have also posted earlier about the constant quality problems I had with a Mercedes SL55 AMG and a Chevrolet Corvette; about the Audi S6 I had to dump after a year because Audi could never figure out why it drained the battery every night; about a Honda minivan with a distorted windshield, faulty gear shifting algorithms, and a rear sliding door that had a mind of its own; about a Jaguar S-Type . . . .

Yes, Lucid still has some build issues to iron out, but (software issues aside) I have only had a couple of early-production cars (both Audi R8s) that arrived with better initial build quality than this Lucid.

I'm sorry. I just can't get through this video. I've tried. Really, I have.

I mulled over your post for a couple of days and decided to give the video another shot. But when I brought it up on YouTube I was hit with this boldfaced headline:

"A ways to go" followed by an exclamation point is clearly meant to imply that Lucid's build quality still falls far short of standard, and only viewers who get through the whole video will find out that his views are actually more nuanced.

This is not a proper introduction to serious automotive reviewing. It's the kind of hyperbole that has caused me to fall away from following some of the reviewers who started as balanced presenters but ended in succumbing to the temptations of clickbait tactics to generate views from those looking for axes to grind.

I have owned an early-production Lucid for 14 months, and its build quality is among the best of the cars I have owned. I have already posted on this forum about how many more build/assembly issues we had with the Model S Plaid we bought four months before the Lucid. I have also posted earlier about the constant quality problems I had with a Mercedes SL55 AMG and a Chevrolet Corvette; about the Audi S6 I had to dump after a year because Audi could never figure out why it drained the battery every night; about a Honda minivan with a distorted windshield, faulty gear shifting algorithms, and a rear sliding door that had a mind of its own; about a Jaguar S-Type . . . .

Yes, Lucid still has some build issues to iron out, but (software issues aside) I have only had a couple of early-production cars (both Audi R8s) that arrived with better initial build quality than this Lucid.

Because they are DISINGENUOUS!! I keep saying it and will continue to do so! They are full of it all of them!

Because they are DISINGENUOUS!! I keep saying it and will continue to do so! They are full of it all of them!

Yes, this video annoyed me. However, I did not find the earlier "Out of Spec" review of the car by Dave to be in the same vein. While pointing out legitimate issues many on this forum have experienced, Dave actually kind of raved about the car . . . and then went out and bought one for himself.

That's where the welder wants to become a structural engineer. Same with him.
Close but no cigar.

That's where the welder wants to become a structural engineer. Same with him.
Close but no cigar.

Wow, I didn't mean to stir the pot all over again.

Oh, hell . . . I guess I did.

Wow, I didn't mean to stir the pot all over again.

Oh, hell . . . I guess I did.

Your thoughts are always well worded and supported, so I doubt anyone here, including myself, is too upset. We definitely have very different perspectives, but you clearly have much more experience owning cars than I do, which is awesome and very insightful! Opinions on Out of Spec videos aside, we all clearly admire Lucid and the car they've made very much, which is definitely the most important thing. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts as someone who is new to the realm of luxury cars and EVs.

Your thoughts are always well worded and supported, so I doubt anyone here, including myself, is too upset. We definitely have very different perspectives, but you clearly have much more experience owning cars than I do, which is awesome and very insightful! Opinions on Out of Spec videos aside, we all clearly admire Lucid and the car they've made very much, which is definitely the most important thing. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts as someone who is new to the realm of luxury cars and EVs.

I should quit holding forth on this. This video just struck me the wrong way on the wrong day. I've been a bit cranky since our Lucid car crash and am missing the car sorely. Just can't take the yoke and other annoyances of our Tesla. I've been driving our Honda minivan regularly for the past two weeks instead.

I’ve grown so accustomed to click bait in a number of my avenues of interest, that it has minimal effect on whether I watch a given YouTube video or not. If I recognize the creator as someone who has good content, I’ll watch, even knowing the title is clickbait.

If I’m unfamiliar with the creator but the topic interests me, that creator gets one chance from me. Such was the case with this video and even, initially, out of spec Dave. In the case of the detainer’s video, yes, there‘s a case to be made for his embellishment of some issues. However, much of that video was substantiated with photographic evidence of panel misalignment. I don’t see any of that in my BMW and I agree with him that Lucid should be doing a better job.

There’s no harm in pointing out real issues in the hope of product improvement…and he did say he has seen a ramp up in the improvement of panel alignment since the first Lucid he looked at. We also should acknowledge that these issues don’t necessarily repeat from one car to the next. So your car may have excellent panel alignment and the very next car may have questionable alignment. Consistency matters too.

OTOH, to be perfectly honest, I doubt I would have picked up on some of those alignment issues he pointed out and I’m pretty anal about caring for my cars. However once pointed out, you can certainly see them. It’s like that first door ding, once you see it you can never unsee it and your eyes immediately target that ding every time you walk up to the car.

I should quit holding forth on this. This video just struck me the wrong way on the wrong day. I've been a bit cranky since our Lucid car crash and am missing the car sorely. Just can't take the yoke and other annoyances of our Tesla. I've been driving our Honda minivan regularly for the past two weeks instead.

I certainly don't blame you for missing the car, but I'm glad the Lucid performed well in the crash and kept you safe and unharmed. I was only able to drive my car for about an hour and I'm pretty bummed that I haven't been able to bring it home yet. I hope you're able to get back behind the wheel of yours or a suitable replacement soon!

I’ve grown so accustomed to click bait in a number of my avenues of interest, that it has minimal effect on whether I watch a given YouTube video or not.

I am more surprised when there isn't a clickbait title anymore.

Back