Build quality analysis by Out of Spec Detailing

I'll admit that I forgot about the extra features DD Pro comes with off the bat, so my apologies and thanks to everyone for clarifying. I'm very excited to see how it evolves over the years and I'm confident the money I spent on it will be worth it. Maybe I'll mention the comment that was made in the video when I pick up my car to see if they can explain or clarify.

I do agree that their wording in certain cases has been less than ideal, and I respect that others do not have the same opinions about the Out of Spec team that I do. That being said, I personally
don't think any of them are trying to be deliberately misleading. I think they are genuine in their concerns and are only bringing up issues in the hopes that they can be resolved or improved upon for future owners. Am I just being naive? Perhaps, but that is my perspective, and I certainly don't disparage anyone for their own.

Regarding the "having no paint" issue, I think what the average owner and what a professional detailer would consider to be a paint issue are very different. I don't think he means to say that the paint on that particular car was about to flake off at the slightest touch or not stand up to normal abuse, but that he as a detailer was not comfortable working on it more without removing more paint and potentially causing issues later. That is his opinion and not necessarily truth in all cases. I don't agree with his statement on Dream Drive Pro, either, but I respect his opinion, and I felt there was much more useful feedback later in the video.
Let's just say, they are undereducated.
Big time undereducated.

Distance indicators upon approaching objects
My Tesla has indicators when approaching curbs or signs in front of me. I'd that what you mean? But yes, no front display camera which is sad.
Front camera display during parking
I think they have cameras up front that aim out, so I'm curious why this isn't a thing yet

But I agree with you on everything you've stated above. It's been quite remarkable how fast Lucid came out running with updates and even my ownership since November, there's been major updates and I'm happy for.

I still think Sentry mode should be a higher priority for them though seeing how expensive these cars are.

Maybe so. If that's really the case I'll see if I can possibly clarify or educate when I pick up my car if they're willing or interested.
You lost me here. "when I pick up my car".. i thought you have your car already.

I'll admit that I forgot about the extra features DD Pro comes with off the bat, so my apologies and thanks to everyone for clarifying. I'm very excited to see how it evolves over the years and I'm confident the money I spent on it will be worth it. Maybe I'll mention the comment that was made in the video when I pick up my car to see if they can explain or clarify.
You mentioning anything after he posted the misinformation video does nothing. This idiot's misinformation has his followers thinking Lucid is charging $10k for lane centering only. It's annoying!

You mentioning anything after he posted the misinformation video does nothing. This idiot's misinformation has his followers thinking Lucid is charging $10k for lane centering only. It's annoying!

As I mentioned earlier, this was the third video review of the Air I've seen recently in which the reviewer said something to the effect of, "$10,000!! and you get nothing but lane keep assist".

It's become a trope among people who want to diminish Lucid and the Air. That's why I don't believe for a second that this reviewer's omission or the implication it meant to create was inadvertent or arising from ignorance.

You have to remember that Lucid's first cars hit the market just over a year ago. After more than a decade on the market, there are many Tesla owners who paid thousands for FSD, owned their cars for several years, and sold them without ever having had full self driving. (Even at $15,000 today, you still don't get what it perpetually claims is coming.)

Lucid entered the market with primitive user software, as they were doing everything from the ground up and did not have earlier models in the lineup to draw from. If we had to wait for fully-fledged user software, all current owners would still be waiting to get our cars.

Let's compare Lucid to the company that claims to be "a software company", that's been at it over ten years, and that many people view as at the apogee of automotive software -- Tesla -- and compare it with what Lucid has already enabled since their cars first came out:

Satellite maps (with more functionality than Tesla's)
USB reading of music sticks (something our 2021 Tesla cannot do)
Apple CarPlay (not in Teslas)
Bird's-eye-view display (not in Teslas)
Distance indicators upon approaching objects (not in Tesla)
Front camera display during parking (not in Tesla)
Cross-traffic emergency braking (Tesla only displays a warning)

I have a feeling that we're going to see Level 2+ ADAS in our Lucids well before anyone sees full self driving in their Teslas.
And you are missing some of these software features differentiators

- Blind spot view video on instrument cluster (not in Tesla)
- SXM cellular only (Tesla came after Lucid)
- Dolby ATMOS (Not in Tesla)
- Surreal directional sound warning alert (Not in Tesla)
- Facial recognition to load profile and permit drive (Not in Tesla)

Last edited:
My Tesla has indicators when approaching curbs or signs in front of me. I'd that what you mean? But yes, no front display camera which is sad.

Our Tesla has indicators but nothing that enables you so precisely to position the car in tight spaces as you can the Lucid with its front camera display, its distance measure, and its very accurate bird's-eye-view. Both the Plaid and the Lucid have very low front air foils that can be damaged by concrete bump stops, and parking the Plaid is a much more nail-biting experience than the Air.

I still think Sentry mode should be a higher priority for them though seeing how expensive these cars are.

Agree.

And you are missing some of these software features differentiators

- Blind spot view video on instrument cluster (not in Tesla)
- SXM cellular only (Tesla came after Lucid)
- Dolby ATMOS (Not in Tesla)
- Surreal directional sound warning alert (Not in Tesla)
- Facial recognition to load profile and permit drive (Not in Tesla)

Yes. Now that the sometimes-infuriating UX 1.0 woes are largely behind us, the much wider array of software features of the Lucid compared to a Tesla are really coming into clearer focus.

At this point, the only area in which I'd rate the software performance of our Tesla above our Air has to do with ADAS features. And, unlike Tesla's unfulfilled promises year after year that full self driving is just months away, I actually believe Lucid will get to Level 2+ in fairly short order. Level 3 is a good ways off and may have to wait for later Lucid models, if it ever comes.

In any case, I have confidence that Lucid will deliver on its relatively modest ADAS goals. I don't believe I'm going to live to see a full self driving Tesla, Musk's marketing hype that his cars have had it for five years already notwithstanding.

Yes. Now that the sometimes-infuriating UX 1.0 woes are largely behind us, the much wider array of software features of the Lucid compared to a Tesla are really coming into clearer focus.
I still recall at 11pm, I have to exit freeway to park in a random shopping strip because right cockpit screen and pilot panel black out. I had to ask my wife to get out of the car for a reset. “Really?! This price tag car just break like that? You are asked me to step out at this hour? Is it even safe here?!”

I’m just so glad UX1.0.xx is behind us, there were so many times I got new OTA just to face new issues for embarrassment. I haven’t have that in in UX20. So kudo for software developers for the tremendous strides from a long way.

My car is currently being detailed by the gentleman in the video. I don't get to bring it home until Tuesday.
Understood.
But, let the gentleman in the vid concentrate on detailing only.

The one thing I took away from this video is maybe I should buy this paint meter and bring it with me when used car shopping or inspecting cars. 4-6mm

I watched the entire video and like Dave's video, my take is somewhat different than some posts here. I mentioned in respect to Dave's video that I thought he might actually be considering buying a Lucid despite some of his criticisms. He did.

Yes, the detailer here is anal, but don't you want that in a detailer? Yes, he's nitpicking and he himself says that, but again, he's a detailer doing his job. I'd have no qualms having him detail my car.

I don't think he's necessarily being unfair to Lucid. He states unequivocally that he's blown away with the interior. He goes so far as to call it class-leading. That's not someone that's on a mission to 'destroy' Lucid. The few criticisms he had of the interior are the same criticisms I've seen here from owners.

Now, where he picks apart body panel alignment, paint uniformity, etc., he's clearly backing that up with on-camera evidence of his comments. These are not unfounded criticisms. I have no problems with that whatsoever. Surely he picks up things I'd never see or catch, but for some buyers I suspect they would. I think it's clear that Lucid does need to improve their game a bit with body panel alignment. OTOH he clearly states he's seen a significant improvement since the last Lucid he inspected and says several times that Lucid is moving in the right direction.

Although I'm sure Lucid is aware of almost everything he pointed out, I think it still would be a worthwhile video for Lucid to watch.

I watched the entire video and like Dave's video, my take is somewhat different than some posts here. I mentioned in respect to Dave's video that I thought he might actually be considering buying a Lucid despite some of his criticisms. He did.

Yes, the detailer here is anal, but don't you want that in a detailer? Yes, he's nitpicking and he himself says that, but again, he's a detailer doing his job. I'd have no qualms having him detail my car.

I don't think he's necessarily being unfair to Lucid. He states unequivocally that he's blown away with the interior. He goes so far as to call it class-leading. That's not someone that's on a mission to 'destroy' Lucid. The few criticisms he had of the interior are the same criticisms I've seen here from owners.

Now, where he picks apart body panel alignment, paint uniformity, etc., he's clearly backing that up with on-camera evidence of his comments. These are not unfounded criticisms. I have no problems with that whatsoever. Surely he picks up things I'd never see or catch, but for some buyers I suspect they would. I think it's clear that Lucid does need to improve their game a bit with body panel alignment. OTOH he clearly states he's seen a significant improvement since the last Lucid he inspected and says several times that Lucid is moving in the right direction.

Although I'm sure Lucid is aware of almost everything he pointed out, I think it still would be a worthwhile video for Lucid to watch.

Well said, my thoughts exactly!

The one thing I took away from this video is maybe I should buy this paint meter and bring it with me when used car shopping or inspecting cars. 4-6mm

I think you mean 4-6 mils, not 4-6 mm.

I think all this hand-wringing about paint thickness is much ado about little. First, there's a lot more to paint endurance than thickness of the application. Second, I think it would be hard (as in impossible) to find a modern car with factory paint that would fall off the car or wear off with routine washing.

As I've posted before, our early Lucid has had three dings removed from doors and fenders. Neither the original impacts nor the dent removals damaged the paint in the least. Although the lighted "LUCID" logo on the front light bar had some chipping (replaced under warranty), none of the painted surfaces at the leading edge of the car -- hood, front fenders, bumper cover, mirror cowls, A pillars -- show any damage from 14 months and 17,000 miles of highway travel and driving through the innumerable construction zones that dominate Naples right now. (It's a rare occasion when one doesn't find oneself behind a dump truck on a local errand.) On the other hand, our Honda Odyssey with 36,000 miles has quite a few minor nicks and chips, including scratches on a door where a dog jumped up on the car.

Really, folks, take care of your Lucid the way you would any other car, and the paint will hold up just fine.

For those who live in SF Bay Area and drive up to Lake Tahoe during none winter months, our cars getting sand blasted is a real thing. Having thin paint on cars will result in noticable paint chips on darker color cars.

For those who live in SF Bay Area and drive up to Lake Tahoe during none winter months, our cars getting sand blasted is a real thing. Having thin paint on cars will result in noticable paint chips on darker color cars.

Endurance in such a situation is as much a function of the hardness (as in MOHS rating) of the paint as the thickness. PPF probably warrants consideration in such an environment, and not just on a Lucid Air.

100% correct

He's a detailer ( a good one, from what I read) but the detailer only. He doesn't know the car like we do. So his comments are inaccurate, to say the least.
Hoping he reads our comments and learns form them.

Back