Brick or Turtle Incidence

I am very curious what Lucid will announce in the coming year regarding expanding the service centers. I agree, they need to move fast on this and expand. I also agree that cash flow may prevent that in the short term. While they are at it, expand the partnerships with local third-party service centers and monitor them closely for quality control. That likely costs a fraction of spinning up their own shops. But they need to be careful who they choose.

I really hope they choose expanding over saving some bucks in the short term, because service is critical at this stage of their growth.
In the interview Peter talked about Lucid strategy. He's so good I won't even try to paraphrase. I was wondering why he didn't start with a roadster ala Tesla, to work out software bugs and production start-up issues. He addresses that. OK, that makes sense...wow...that's smart...actually...the Lucid vision is way deeper than just another capitalist car company.

Lucid got sandbagged by covid and the collapse of supply chains. Of course there are going to be bugs and failures when you can't source a reliable supplier and have to substitute ... how do you explain to someone why their car is taking so long to build and QC:
" ah... you know, there's a plague happening?"
It had not occurred to me that the parts in my car are slightly different than the parts in your car, so that might explain why we have different experiences. How do you write software updates when everyone has a different combination of hardware?

You test it by running at the football and hoping Lucy doesn't pull it away. How else ?

I'm encouraged about the progress at the King of Prussia, PA service/sales center. Woo Wee !

In the interview Peter talked about Lucid strategy. He's so good I won't even try to paraphrase. I was wondering why he didn't start with a roadster ala Tesla, to work out software bugs and production start-up issues. He addresses that. OK, that makes sense...wow...that's smart...actually...the Lucid vision is way deeper than just another capitalist car company.

Lucid got sandbagged by covid and the collapse of supply chains. Of course there are going to be bugs and failures when you can't source a reliable supplier and have to substitute ... how do you explain to someone why their car is taking so long to build and QC:
" ah... you know, there's a plague happening?"
It had not occurred to me that the parts in my car are slightly different than the parts in your car, so that might explain why we have different experiences. How do your write software updates when everyone has a different combination of hardware?

You test it by running at the football and hoping Lucy doesn't pull it away. How else ?

I'm encouraged about the progress at the King of Prussia, PA service/sales center. Woo Wee !
I remember years ago, when Apple first started opening their retail stores, I happened to be chatting with Ron Johnson, head of retail. So I asked him, "Where are you thinking of for the Philly area?"

Without hesitation, he said "Walnut Street and King of Prussia."

I could have picked any city in the world, and he would have been able to immediately identify the correct neighborhoods / malls to put an Apple Store. Sure enough, within a year or two, both stores were open.

It makes me hopeful Lucid knows King of Prussia is a good spot. Hope they have similar plans for Denver. Cherry Creek was absolutely correct for the studio. Now they need to get a good service center location.

(And the same eventually in or closer to Boulder. Took Tesla far too long to get a service center close enough to be convenient here. And then it burned down in a fire. They still don't have a retail store here.)

yea I know. i think i know why i had the reaction i did ... see below

I called roadside assistance right away after the first time. Strong accent and horrible connection. Never heard of Lucid. Said there is no VIN like the one I gave him over and over.
Car was blocking traffic. I thought the reset was my best option and it worked.

The first one was "brake system failure". There was a surge, a clunk, and slammed on the brakes and bricked the car. The whole screen was blood red. Very scary.
The second one was "drive system failure" and had an alarming screen that was different.
I think that's when I noticed the turtle. I was able to coast to a safe place.
The third and fourth times I had stopped looking as it was "normal behavior" for me.

I'm pretty sure every possible icon, warning, danger color and sponsoring animal showed up at one time or the other. I should have taken photos but I guess I had other things on my mind. What was re-assuring was that a reset made the car "normal" each time, and we were able to drive home 6 miles after the 4th reset, and it hasn't happened since, and the tech who was here yesterday (excellent service experience!) drove it another ten miles and could not reproduce the fault. Then I drove it to the grocery store. Today we're having an ice storm and I desperately want to go drive the car ... in fact, as soon as I'm done here I will.

Ah there's the rub. You don't ever know if a modern car is fixed.
You have to keep driving a broken car...that's the only way to know it's fixed.
View attachment 7604

I'm keeping the car...just not going to use it as a GT or limo for the family for a while. Local golf-cart duty only. I don't know what anyone can say to convince me to take my family on the Turnpike in this car if they don't pull out something broken and burnt to wag in my face.
I'm over 70. "Software update fixed it" does not ring my bell. But, it turns out, I am a True Believer. I will try to keep calm and carry on.

Today I feel much better (was slipping into depression Sun. night so slept for 16 hours). The wife is thinking I'm over-reacting when I called Lucid asking for the title, and she was with me when it happened. She knows how much I love the car. She knows this is the culmination of my life's work (developing Li battery). I have been reflecting on why I clearly was having fight/flight reactions (we weren't in a dangerous place when i happened and I was probably 6 mph). The circumstances were so similar the time a drunk teen slammed into me at a redlight (from behind = sudden and completely unexpected ... totaled both cars) that left me crippled for a couple of years. I had every symptom of adrenaline burn when my Lucid slammed to a sudden and unexpected stop. Must have been amygdala memory reboot to past trauma.

Today... I'm back baby. Head up. This morning I watched Peter's interview (posted here somewhere) where he talks of Lucid's strategy and vision. I love this guy. He gets me. I did not know he's from the land of the red dragon. I've never heard of a CEO with such vision and heart.

I'm all in and staying in.

This car is so amazing ... see how insane it makes some people?
I totally get the PTSD. I was four blocks from 9/11 (on my 4th day of high school, grew up in NYC) and I still find myself anxious whenever I hear planes overhead.

My wife had complex-PTSD for her own reasons, and six weeks of ketamine therapy (with a doctor) really helped her out; I tried it after, and it really helped me too. YMMV.

Can’t blame you for the anxiety and the fear.

What did the tech say about the faults? Did they pull logs or anything?

I totally get the PTSD. I was four blocks from 9/11 (on my 4th day of high school, grew up in NYC) and I still find myself anxious whenever I hear planes overhead.

My wife had complex-PTSD for her own reasons, and six weeks of ketamine therapy (with a doctor) really helped her out; I tried it after, and it really helped me too. YMMV.

Can’t blame you for the anxiety and the fear.
Yea it's one of those things you can't understand until it happens to you, like back pain. A co worker would call out from time to time saying back pain. yea, right. you know when you wake in the morning after planting 9 spruce trees in the yard, and you haven't even moved, aren't feeling any pain, but know with absolutely certainty that the slightest effort to get out of bed will result in agony -- . Oh. I get it now. I thought that was bad. Wished I had some Lemons (747s; ludes). A week on the floor. That was nothing. That was just sore muscles. I have one word:

sciatica

Yea. Everyone has back pain in their future, if you live long enough. Was at a reunion with all the guys I used to hang glide with. Every single one had a back pain story. Every. Single. One. We stood around like " how many epidurals did you get? you had two fusions?! Idiot! or I found an oxy source in WV." That kind of thing. Blessed are the opiates, for they are the kingdom of heaven, for a bit. Turns out the only lasting cure is regular stretching = yoga. But I have to admit if it wasn't for my oxy I would have killed myself to ditch the pain. Hardest thing about all of it was convincing my doctor I was desperate. He actually admonished me for calling in and saying I would kill myself if he didn't do something about the pain. He said there were reams of paperwork he had to fill out now. It's infuriating because I know my doctor is not a real doctor, he's an agent for the insurance companies, and that means you have to suffer for months before they approve the good drugs , the spinal shots, and the MRI. He's not my doctor now. I take the EL to Kensington when I need pain management. Pain is still a complete mystery.
Gotta walk in the shoes or just keep your mouth shut. I feel that way now about every post where one of our brothers are having a bad Lucid experience, and come here to say they are out. I was one for a few days. We need to bring them back. Be kind. Just listen. They come here for one reason: These guys are in pain.

cool about the horse tranquilizer. I don't know what it was we took in college all kind of pills all kinds of thrills, but one of the trips made a permanent change in my outlook for the better. Was it the purple microdot? the blotter? the chocolate mesc? Probably was ketamene. All that BS about seeing yourself as part of everything and all good happens, and it's fantastic. Ego death can be a trial so it's good that your partner had a professional guide. Nice thing is when you "get it" you don't feel the need to do it again. You are fixed.

Freewheeling Franks sez: " Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."
1671150128043.png

What did the tech say about the faults? Did they pull logs or anything?
He pulled all the logs and sent them out. Has called me several times today to get more info, like time of event and version in use. I can't remember the sequence of events now, which is why I want everyone to keep a log book in the car (I guess you people can do this on the phone, sheesh) and write events down immediately. You have to do this before you have an event, because you won't know what's significant until later. You will change things slightly each time you "remember". This is a known thing. Also, take a pic of the dash. I don't know why but they seem to like pics of the dash with turtles swimming in the red sea.

If we can all report with accuracy we can fix this.

Last edited:
Yea it's one of those things you can't understand until it happens to you, like back pain. A co worker would call out from time to time saying back pain. yea, right. you know when you wake in the morning after planting 9 spruce trees in the yard, and you haven't even moved, aren't feeling any pain, but know with absolutely certainty that the slightest effort to get out of bed will result in agony -- . Oh. I get it now. I thought that was bad. Wished I had some Lemons (747s; ludes). A week on the floor. That was nothing. That was just sore muscles. I have one word:

sciatica

Yea. Everyone has back pain in their future, if you live long enough. Was at a reunion with all the guys I used to hang glide with. Every single one had a back pain story. Every. Single. One. We stood around like " how many epidurals did you get? you had two fusions?! Idiot! or I found an oxy source in WV." That kind of thing. Blessed are the opiates, for they are the kingdom of heaven, for a bit. Turns out the only lasting cure is regular stretching = yoga. But I have to admit if it wasn't for my oxy I would have killed myself to ditch the pain. Hardest thing about all of it was convincing my doctor I was desperate. He actually admonished me for calling in and saying I would kill myself if he didn't do something about the pain. He said there were reams of paperwork he had to fill out now. It's infuriating because I know my doctor is not a real doctor, he's an agent for the insurance companies, and that means you have to suffer for months before they approve the good drugs , the spinal shots, and the MRI. He's not my doctor now. I take the EL to Kensington when I need pain management. Pain is still a complete mystery.
Gotta walk in the shoes or just keep your mouth shut. I feel that way now about every post where one of our brothers are having a bad Lucid experience, and come here to say they are out. I was one for a few days. We need to bring them back. Be kind. Just listen. They come here for one reason: These guys are in pain.

cool about the horse tranquilizer. I don't know what it was we took in college all kind of pills all kinds of thrills, but one of the trips made a permanent change in my outlook for the better. Was it the purple microdot? the blotter? the chocolate mesc? Probably was ketamene. All that BS about seeing yourself as part of everything and all good happens, and it's fantastic. Ego death can be a trial so it's good that your partner had a professional guide. Nice thing is when you "get it" you don't feel the need to do it again. You are fixed.

Freewheeling Franks sez: " Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."
View attachment 7626

He pulled all the logs and sent them out. Has called me several times today to get more info, like time of event and version in use. I can't remember the sequence of events now, which is why I want everyone to keep a log book in the car (I guess you people can do this on the phone, sheesh) and write events down immediately. You have to do this before you have an event, because you won't know what's significant until later. You will change things slightly each time you "remember". This is a known thing. Also, take a pic of the dash. I don't know why but they seem to like pics of the dash with turtles swimming in the red sea.

If we can all report with accuracy we can fix this.

A career in the motor trade taught me that confidence in a car can return, you have the advantage that you want to be confident in your car again. It’s now down to Lucid to rebuild that trust by doing what they say they will do and acting with integrity.

If they’re the company they say they are (which I believe) they can make this right.

Update on my issue... after 2 weeks at the Millbrae service center, the car was diagnosed, rear drive unit replaced, and car returned to me... seems to be working fine... THANKS Millbrae guys!

Exact same things happened to mine on the 7th. How did you get a Tesla? I thought those were not approved.
I was told to rent a car... used Turo to rent a reasonably priced car... the owner delivered it to me and picked it up... was not an issue of approval

Back