Body Work

Mweseley

Cars
Air touring
My car was clipped a few days after I got it. The damage looked like a couple of minor scratches and a fender that was slightly off. I took it to J and B body shop in Mt. Vernon NY. They are the nearest allowable body shop to where I live. They told me that they would have to take the fender off and fix the few items and put it back on. That would cost over $14,000. This is for damage you probably wouldn’t even notice unless you look for it very carefully.
Has anyone used these guys?
Does this sound right?
Is there risk that the car would not function correctly once they are done?
I’m in shock around this whole issue and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

My car got in a fight with a motorized gate causing damage to the rear bumper that requires a bumper replacement and paint. $2k for the bumper replacement + whatever it will cost to recalibrate the sensors via Lucid. Idk the extent of your damage, but that sounds absurd. I’m in California for reference.

I had similar damage to @Coltonw011 when a person rear-ended me. The damage looked minimal, had to replace the rear bumper and the trim that goes across the rear bumper. The damages came out to over $11k, which I thought was ridiculous. It wasn't my insurance paying for it, so I did not argue the price. I did, however, ask what one nebulous number was on the printout. Half the cost was in one line item that really bothered me and their explanation was that it was something to do with "truing up the labor rates". If it was me, or my insurance adjuster, I would have been pushing back on this.

What really worries me is that these claims are going to impact future insurance rates as they see that Lucid vehicles are expensive to fix. My wife hit a deer recently on the front driver's side corner, bent fender, replace front bumper cover, headlight, grill trim, radiator and some other stuff behind all that. Car could not be driven due to radiator leak. Her total was very close to what my car cost to fix, something not right. That is even considering that her car was fixed by a shop here in Charlotte with Charlotte labor rates and my car had to be fixed up in Hickory (small town north of Charlotte) with what should be lower labor rates.

The two shops are equal though in quality, in my opinion, excellent. Both had many, many high end sports cars, etc. being worked on. They both did excellent work. Only one left me questioning their ethics though.

You should ask for a line item estimate and question each and every line.

Exactly what @CLTGT said. Question it. I’ll attach photos of my damage as well as estimate for reference. Now, I will say that the car hasn’t gone in for replacement yet, it took 2 months for a bumper (a whole other story as Lucid told me lead times are about 1-2 weeks for a rear bumper) and it was conveniently “damaged” on arrival (Lucid says this would be one of the first supposed incidents of that) and now I have to keep waiting for the new bumper to arrive. So, I don’t have a final invoice at this time.

Attachments

• 8FEF2331-5D9B-4F4F-857B-E735916533CE.jpeg
    8FEF2331-5D9B-4F4F-857B-E735916533CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • A06428A3-5B00-417E-9A04-50BB36D1619B.png
    A06428A3-5B00-417E-9A04-50BB36D1619B.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 132
Back