Damage from an entry gate, $20,000 repair!!! (local certified Lucid shop.)

Seems like an insurance claim to me.
I was thinking the same thing. Whose gate is it? If the gate malfunctioned, then it is on them. If you were tailgating thru, then your issue. As the keeper of my HOA gate, there should be a coil in the road to prevent the gate from closing on a vehicle. Is there one there? If you think it is a gate issue, worth you paying a gate guy to help you build your case.

I was thinking the same thing. Whose gate is it? If the gate malfunctioned, then it is on them. If you were tailgating thru, then your issue. As the keeper of my HOA gate, there should be a coil in the road to prevent the gate from closing on a vehicle. Is there one there? If you think it is a gate issue, worth you paying a gate guy to help you build your case.
You've hit the nail on the head Boomer! I'd prefer to take that discussion offline from the forum. Not tie up this space.

Yeah I’m sure the auto insurance company would look into the gate problem and see if there’s any way they can put the liability elsewhere.

Hello all,
I've just discovered this forum and from what I'm reading - I belong here.
This, according to the only Lucid certified body shop near me, is a $20,000 repair!!
The damaged was caused by a entrance gate that attempted to close while I was driving through it.
The damage looks like a simple body shop, run of the mill, scratches & paint - right?

Nope, I was told the right fender was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Ok I get that.

But additionally, to get the fender off, they have to take off adjacent panels in order to get to the panel - ok that seems reasonable...
At this time I am told that anytime a panel is removed from the factory installation, those panels also have to be REPLACED, due to
the 'one use only' pressure clips built onto each panel - they have not successfully been able to re-use a panel that they have taken off?
So now the estimate removes & replaces with new the following: Rear Bumper, Quarter Panel, Trim, Applique, C-Pillar Flag, Cantrail Sub assembly,
Rear Door,Interior Trim, Belt Moulding, Rear Door Handle, Inner trim Panels, door glass, margin seal, door shade, door seal. decklid panel,
Air Badge -deckledge, replace Rt Rear Tire, Flatbed tow to dealership, dealer recailibration, Match to existing 4 step paint. And more....???

All to fix scratches to the car caused by an over zealous entrance gate!

I smell BS.

Comments?
Eerily similar damage to my car. Repair cost $19K at the only Lucid approved shop. For some odd reason the absolutely undamaged headlight on the side of the damage also had to be replaced in my case. Frankly obscene, but I at least feel a bit better knowing that my shop wasn’t the only one trying to defraud the insurance company.

Attachments

• IMG_3995.jpeg
    IMG_3995.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 146
I’m not surprised. Several months ago I started a thread about the replacement of my rear windshield. Cost, $8300.00. Same problem. Pieces that needed to be pulled off to get at the rear windshield could not be “re-placed”. Instead they all had to be replaced with brand new pieces - rear window roof trim, both cantrails, even the c-pillar trim pieces on both sides that say “Air GT”.

It turned into a bit of bureaucratic nightmare for me and my insurance carrier. The cost of the repair was far above what would be the remit of the independent windshield replacement outfit that my insurance company would normally use, such as SAFELITE, so I had to disentangle myself from them, and work my way over to the Comprehensive Coverage department of my insurance.

Hello all,
I've just discovered this forum and from what I'm reading - I belong here.
This, according to the only Lucid certified body shop near me, is a $20,000 repair!!
The damaged was caused by a entrance gate that attempted to close while I was driving through it.
The damage looks like a simple body shop, run of the mill, scratches & paint - right?

Nope, I was told the right fender was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Ok I get that.

But additionally, to get the fender off, they have to take off adjacent panels in order to get to the panel - ok that seems reasonable...
At this time I am told that anytime a panel is removed from the factory installation, those panels also have to be REPLACED, due to
the 'one use only' pressure clips built onto each panel - they have not successfully been able to re-use a panel that they have taken off?
So now the estimate removes & replaces with new the following: Rear Bumper, Quarter Panel, Trim, Applique, C-Pillar Flag, Cantrail Sub assembly,
Rear Door,Interior Trim, Belt Moulding, Rear Door Handle, Inner trim Panels, door glass, margin seal, door shade, door seal. decklid panel,
Air Badge -deckledge, replace Rt Rear Tire, Flatbed tow to dealership, dealer recailibration, Match to existing 4 step paint. And more....???

All to fix scratches to the car caused by an over zealous entrance gate!

I smell BS.

Comments?
So it looks like the 1/4 panel is torn. This panel is part of the structure of the vehicle. It’s both bonded and riveted on, this is a very labor intensive repair.

Eerily similar damage to my car. Repair cost $19K at the only Lucid approved shop. For some odd reason the absolutely undamaged headlight on the side of the damage also had to be replaced in my case. Frankly obscene, but I at least feel a bit better knowing that my shop wasn’t the only one trying to defraud the insurance company.
The problem what worries me is that we will be penalized by increases in premiums and for sure the notification to Car Fax. Subsequently all Lucid owners will see increased premiums as insurance companies will compensate, knowing how expensive it is to repair 'scratches'
So it looks like the 1/4 panel is torn. This panel is part of the structure of the vehicle. It’s both bonded and riveted on, this is a very labor intensive repair.

I'm not well versed in the language of auto body repairs, but I was troubled by the 'collateral damages' - meaning by removing adjacent panels to work on the 1/4 panel, those adjacent panels cannot be reattached - as we've been told - they are attached by a single use clip. Once removed - a new panel is required. Or as the other gentleman said - they put in a new head light , this ultimately will impact all Lucid owners in the way of higher premiums for Lucid vehicles. I'm 'semi' glad that I wasn't the only one whose body shop is hosing the insurance company.

I was also told the same thing. Upon disassembly, single use clips are torn and many undamaged parts necessitated replacement. In the efforts of engineering the vehicle to death to save every cubic millimeter, we’re now left with a hugely expensive vehicle to repair should even the slightest damage occur. Lesson learned. There is no free lunch.

My insurance premium already went up and the worst part is, the damage was done to my car while parked, with zero fault of my own. Such is life.

I’m not surprised. Several months ago I started a thread about the replacement of my rear windshield. Cost, $8300.00. Same problem. Pieces that needed to be pulled off to get at the rear windshield could not be “re-placed”. Instead they all had to be replaced with brand new pieces - rear window roof trim, both cantrails, even the c-pillar trim pieces on both sides that say “Air GT”.

It turned into a bit of bureaucratic nightmare for me and my insurance carrier. The cost of the repair was far above what would be the remit of the independent windshield replacement outfit that my insurance company would normally use, such as SAFELITE, so I had to disentangle myself from them, and work my way over to the Comprehensive Coverage department of my insurance.
Safelite is the Walmart of glass companies. For anyone reading this, if the insurance recommends a repair facility run the other way. Remember, the insurance company is looking for the cheapest and fastest in town. They could care less if they have the correct equipment to do the job let alone being trained. Call the most certified shop in the area and see what insurance they partnered with, probably none. That’s because the shop wants to fix the car correctly, the insurance wants cheap. Correct isn’t cheap or fast.
The problem what worries me is that we will be penalized by increases in premiums and for sure the notification to Car Fax. Subsequently all Lucid owners will see increased premiums as insurance companies will compensate, knowing how expensive it is to repair 'scratches'

I'm not well versed in the language of auto body repairs, but I was troubled by the 'collateral damages' - meaning by removing adjacent panels to work on the 1/4 panel, those adjacent panels cannot be reattached - as we've been told - they are attached by a single use clip. Once removed - a new panel is required. Or as the other gentleman said - they put in a new head light , this ultimately will impact all Lucid owners in the way of higher premiums for Lucid vehicles. I'm 'semi' glad that I wasn't the only one whose body shop is hosing the insurance company.
unfortunately cars are made a certain way. Each certified repair center has access to the repair instructions and should follow them to a T. At the end of the day each car manufacturer cares about the human on the inside. The car is made to fall apart. If anyone has any questions regarding the car I can try to answer collision related questions. I work for a collision repair center that is certified for Lucid along with multiple other OEMs such as Tesla and Mercedes. Every car is mostly made the same when it come to replacing the 1/4 panel.

My insurance premium already went up and the worst part is, the damage was done to my car while parked, with zero fault of my own. Such is life.
I’ve never had premiums go up for a no-fault incident like this. You should make sure the claims adjuster categorized it correctly.

Had the identical thing happen. My wife was driving my drunk ass home and our friends gate closed on me. I had PPF and so it saved some, but a new bumper was needed. There was some paint damage to the quarter panel, but I just had my PPF guy touch it up and then re wrap with the matte PPF I had before, can’t even tell. This was $1900 to have the bumper done. Another $600 for the removal and re wrapping, $500 for a paintless dent removal on the passenger rear door. The auto body shop wanted to correct a small dent in the bottom of the quarter panel, which they called “metal work” for $2500, but I didn’t find it necessary, so I passed on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3655.jpeg
    IMG_3655.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3679.jpeg
    IMG_3679.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
Follow up on my $20,000.00 estimate from the only "certified" Lucid Body Shop in my area.
My insurance adjuster came to document the damage caused by a faulty gate (see my original post for photos)
If you recall, we've been told that the damage to the quarter panel required the removal of the adjacent panels
plus the bumper etc AND once removed - these panels cannot be used again! Straight from the 'certified' Lucid
shop.
My adjuster had seen this before and steered me in the direction of another high end body shop. Who's 'certifications'
included Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls, Benz - so they know their way around a luxury vehicle. Their estimate - $3,200
including the blending of the 4 part Metallic Red paint I have. Service included White glove flatbed tow truck from my house & back.
They had it 4 days - vs 5 to 6 weeks from our 'certified' Lucid thieves!
You might ask why did I care? I had the same deductible no matter where I had the work done. But its the principle.
For those of you following along, or that may need to have minor work done - look around. We all own cars that have been assembled with panels
that are attached to the frame with 'one-time-use' pressure clips. The company's posture is, well - planned obsolescence?

Now onto my next beef with the car - The Key Fobs

Follow up on my $20,000.00 estimate from the only "certified" Lucid Body Shop in my area.
My insurance adjuster came to document the damage caused by a faulty gate (see my original post for photos)
If you recall, we've been told that the damage to the quarter panel required the removal of the adjacent panels
plus the bumper etc AND once removed - these panels cannot be used again! Straight from the 'certified' Lucid
shop.
My adjuster had seen this before and steered me in the direction of another high end body shop. Who's 'certifications'
included Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls, Benz - so they know their way around a luxury vehicle. Their estimate - $3,200
including the blending of the 4 part Metallic Red paint I have. Service included White glove flatbed tow truck from my house & back.
You might ask why did I care? I had the same deductible no matter where I had the work done. But its the principle.
For those of you following along, or that may need to have minor work done - look around. We all own cars that have been assembled with panels
that are attached to the frame with 'one-time-use' pressure clips. The company's posture is, well - planned obsolescence?

Thanks for the update! I didn't wanna close my phone and think that a small damage would cost so much because I'm gonna start having anxiety driving my Lucid

shop.

A saint in disguise of a forum member. Thank you for the information.

A saint in disguise of a forum member. Thank you for the information.
shop.

Wow 3200 is a great price. Curious, did you see their per hour rate / did they need to replace the quarter panel? How much was labor vs parts?

I’ve seen 3200 for high end shops just to patch paint, and blend without any parts being replaced. Same same idea this type of shop would do Aston martens, Bentleys etc.

Wow 3200 is a great price. Curious, did you see their per hour rate / did they need to replace the quarter panel? How much was labor vs parts?

I’ve seen 3200 for high end shops just to patch paint, and blend without any parts being replaced. Same same idea this type of shop would do Aston martens, Bentleys etc.
I don't have the itemized invoice yet, they sent it to my carrier. I'll share as soon as I get a copy - as the repairs are guaranteed from the shop.

I don't have the itemized invoice yet, they sent it to my carrier. I'll share as soon as I get a copy - as the repairs are guaranteed from the shop.
One more item to share: the name of the good shop you found! We too often complain about bad service but good service needs to be recognized and there are many Lucid owners in the vicinity.

The car may be expensive to buy, but maintenance costs and repair is actually extremely reasonable.
My Lucid tech touched on the subject as well as he used to work with Benz before

Thanks for the update!

I was going to suggest: have insurance cut you a check for $20k, and go down the street to a local body shop. Just think of it as a massive deduction in price. win win

This is a public service announcement for those living in the Delaware & Philly area. I did some minor body & sensor damage to my touring & got the names of 4 certified repair shops from Lucid. As 3 of them were about 3 hours from my home I went to the one 2 hours from my home. This shop, Karosserie (in Wayne, PA), never heard of the concept of customer service. After making the 2 hour trip & getting an "eyeball" estimate from the owner of that shop for 5 times the cost my insurance carrier estimated, I resigned myself to the fact that there would be the usual tug of war between my carrier & the shop as to the real price. After a discussion with the owner, wherein I explained I'd need the car within 3 weeks of drop off with him, he assured me that would not be an issue. "No problem getting parts". I asked? No 3 weeks is definitely doable. So I made a second trip to drop off the car with him. So after 10 days of radio silence & no response to my phone messages, I recaptured my car. They couldn't even provide an estimate in 14 days !!! When I questioned the owner about this lack of response & not living up to his part of our understanding his response was "In 30 years I've never given or agreed to a target completion date". Have I lost my mind, or is this standard operating procedure in this day & age???? I know I'm a (very) old fart, but in my business, I used to deliver as & when promised. To not even provide an estimate within 2 weeks just boggles my mind. !@ hours of travel to accomplish nothing sure pisses me off. So now that I've vented, for those of my compatriots who need repairs in this area, you're forewarned.
And yes, I've let Lucid know about this disaster.

Back